GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tips for the GADer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/08/01 at 16:55
Regular
After 81 days, 674 posts and 42289 words, I have won a FAD! Though I have won a FAD through the banner comp, and a GAD through the captions comp, this is the first actual by-the-rules item that I have won!

The thing is, is that though I have posted many topics that were worth posting, and (well, I feel, anyway) worth reading, and have caused some fights, wars and so on, the motive of winning a GAD/FAD has been in my mind. This one just now, though, I wasnt posting to win.

All this time, I had been trying to write winners, and then one leaps out of the bushes and catches you unawares.

So why do I tell you this? Because there are many people, (no biased meant, but its usually the newbies) that have a moan about them spending ages and ages on a post that they recon is a winner, and the days prize goes to "The devil may curry" (:D).

The thing is, though, is that while it is great that SR give out so much stuff, and the incentive is there to post quality posts, it's not always those posts that win.

People who have been here a while know that the life and spirit of the forum is just as important as the topics and debates. Devil may curry won because it was funny. A story including the top ten PS2 games won too. Posts like these make the forums a more interesting place to be. If it was all games games games and nothing else then it wouldnt have the life it has now, and that would be a shame.

My post that won a FAD was about my personal opinion. It wasnt intended as a winner, it was meant to get my feelings across. (big-headed bit here...) Like many winning posts it carried that personal touch that made it stand out from all the on-the-fence reviews and the like, and that's why I think it won.

So the point of this thread? GAD? well, it would be nice, but its not the intention anymore. Load up the GAD and FAD winners lists and read a few. Turbonutters GT3 endurance race is a well deserved win. It had that personal touch that makes this place more than just reading a post and replying. It's somewhere you want to go, chat to your online mates, joke about, learn a few things, get into arguments, kill Sniper, (:D), etc, not just the GAD.

There have been a few posts about "How to win a GAD", stick your ideas in this thread, and it might stop the "But my post was better and it took me 3 hours" for a while.

Cheers all, Slave.
Sat 25/08/01 at 09:28
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
God, where is everone? 14 consecutive posts without anyone else being here.
Sat 25/08/01 at 01:01
big_slow wrote:
> shaneo wrote:
> big_slow wrote:
> ive been hear longer than
> you and have never
> won anything.

Who me?

no, i mean
> slave unit. vigilante9 is a very good poster

woo hoo! recognition! Thanks mate, ull be seeing some more hopefully interesting posts soon, I have soooo many thoughts and this is a great place to just let rip with em, plus, theres a chance you can win for doing just that!

Thanks again
Fri 24/08/01 at 21:49
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
This is a good tip. Spend time on writing a GAD attempt. A couple of days is good, You can check you idea over and over too see if its going to work.

Check your work after, there is only so much that Spellcheck can do!
Fri 24/08/01 at 19:41
shaneo wrote:
> big_slow wrote:
> ive been hear longer than you and have never
> won anything.

Who me?

no, i mean slave unit. vigilante9 is a very good poster
Fri 24/08/01 at 19:33
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
big_slow wrote:
> ive been hear longer than you and have never won anything.

Who me?
Fri 24/08/01 at 18:57
Ive been here for 3 days, and i Won with my second review, on the second day !!

:) :) :) :)
Fri 24/08/01 at 18:45
ive been hear longer than you and have never won anything.
Fri 24/08/01 at 18:31
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I wish that GAD and FAD were solely based on reviews as I suck at writing topics :( but I rule at review. All 3 of my wins have been reviews.
Fri 24/08/01 at 18:23
Regular
"I am your father"
I won one which I think was my first post for Mission Impossible. But GAD is just taking thing to the next level. If you look at recent reviews then there are only about 3 dvd reviews that aren't mine. And there are only 3 chat room forums. But with GAD there are more chat room forums and more people entering as winning a game is much more appealing than winning a 20 quid dvd.
Fri 24/08/01 at 18:22
Regular
dude there is no need to show off

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.