GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows Vista (Windows)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/02/07 at 13:14
Regular
My View

Lets start with the appearance shall we - The new interface colouring is nice, in that you can customize the transparency of BG windows, and the exact shade/hue of it. The bad news is you can't realistically remove it. Turning it off for the "Classic" theme removes the bordered edges and some of the spacing of the window making the interface seem incomplete and like pieces are literally missing.

There are some improvements, such as the document type recognition (which with hidden file extensions make it look like a MacIntosh desktop a lot more) are much more reliable and actually work well. The "media center" is irritatingly simplistic and tends to want to take over everything you're doing when it's running, and even more irritating, only looks at pay sources for media input. It doesn't do a great job at allowing you to, for example, find images through it from a Yahoo or Google or even MSN search engine with free results like you can do in Internet Explorer or Firefox (or any other browser).

On that note, Internet Explorer is the same IE 7 Beta 2 release that is floating around online for free download (from M$), same errors, shortcomings and all. Most troublesome are the lack of updates and the lack of a true engine overhaul/upgrade to keep with the current W3C Standards.

Vista does show signs of promise. The UI while akward and somewhat difficult to learn shows signs of being relatively simple to master. And despite having to acknowledge a change to the desktop or start menu (any system level change) THREE TIMES (Are you sure? -> Yes... This is happening -> Do it. Are you sure you want to let this happen? ->YES!) before it will do it, which makes customizing the start menu a ROYAL PAIN having to wait about 5-8 seconds and basically say yes three times to delete or move EACH LINK in the menu. But some of the changes are nice. The OS has a Calender compliant with ICS (iCal) standards, a seperate Address Book from Outlook/Outlook Express that uses VCards and easily imports/exports them (and older WAB windows Address Book formats) and a set of spyware and antivirus type prevention tools (Windows "Defender" beta - not great, but useful and useable). With some work Vista CAN be a good OS and much better and more powerful than XP, but for now XP is the better option - with the right security added of course.

Overall the Vista RC2 "demo" shows just how far off-base M$ has gotten with Windows. It's not really a new version of Windows as it is a new OS with a barely-similar looking interface. It is very different with no means of changing it to the older familiar and IMO more intuitive format. Toolbar-like additions seem oddly placed, are permanently placed (can't hide/remove them) and often require more steps to do the simple tasks you need to do daily to just get around in the system.

Whilst I did enjoy my journey of playing with Vista, I feel that it doesnt live up to the 'Windows' name like most other Window versions . In my opinion, windows Vista just doesnt meet our expectations and needs-especially not, if you are hoping to keep Vista for the next 4 years!

5/10
Thu 15/02/07 at 13:14
Regular
My View

Lets start with the appearance shall we - The new interface colouring is nice, in that you can customize the transparency of BG windows, and the exact shade/hue of it. The bad news is you can't realistically remove it. Turning it off for the "Classic" theme removes the bordered edges and some of the spacing of the window making the interface seem incomplete and like pieces are literally missing.

There are some improvements, such as the document type recognition (which with hidden file extensions make it look like a MacIntosh desktop a lot more) are much more reliable and actually work well. The "media center" is irritatingly simplistic and tends to want to take over everything you're doing when it's running, and even more irritating, only looks at pay sources for media input. It doesn't do a great job at allowing you to, for example, find images through it from a Yahoo or Google or even MSN search engine with free results like you can do in Internet Explorer or Firefox (or any other browser).

On that note, Internet Explorer is the same IE 7 Beta 2 release that is floating around online for free download (from M$), same errors, shortcomings and all. Most troublesome are the lack of updates and the lack of a true engine overhaul/upgrade to keep with the current W3C Standards.

Vista does show signs of promise. The UI while akward and somewhat difficult to learn shows signs of being relatively simple to master. And despite having to acknowledge a change to the desktop or start menu (any system level change) THREE TIMES (Are you sure? -> Yes... This is happening -> Do it. Are you sure you want to let this happen? ->YES!) before it will do it, which makes customizing the start menu a ROYAL PAIN having to wait about 5-8 seconds and basically say yes three times to delete or move EACH LINK in the menu. But some of the changes are nice. The OS has a Calender compliant with ICS (iCal) standards, a seperate Address Book from Outlook/Outlook Express that uses VCards and easily imports/exports them (and older WAB windows Address Book formats) and a set of spyware and antivirus type prevention tools (Windows "Defender" beta - not great, but useful and useable). With some work Vista CAN be a good OS and much better and more powerful than XP, but for now XP is the better option - with the right security added of course.

Overall the Vista RC2 "demo" shows just how far off-base M$ has gotten with Windows. It's not really a new version of Windows as it is a new OS with a barely-similar looking interface. It is very different with no means of changing it to the older familiar and IMO more intuitive format. Toolbar-like additions seem oddly placed, are permanently placed (can't hide/remove them) and often require more steps to do the simple tasks you need to do daily to just get around in the system.

Whilst I did enjoy my journey of playing with Vista, I feel that it doesnt live up to the 'Windows' name like most other Window versions . In my opinion, windows Vista just doesnt meet our expectations and needs-especially not, if you are hoping to keep Vista for the next 4 years!

5/10
Thu 15/02/07 at 15:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
The majority of this is stolen from

HERE

It was bad enough when you got caught last time cheating but you obviously haven't learnt from it.
Thu 15/02/07 at 16:57
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Poor show.

Well spotted though Chippo
Thu 15/02/07 at 17:09
Regular
Aiyaa NickGreen *disappointed*

You know this is against the rules, we even told you off last time you tried it. I thought you'd be happy winning 2 GADs for posting cheats, why would you go ahead and do this?

Perhaps you'll be the first person to be banned from winning GADs because obviously you can't stop cheating =(

Well spotted Chipp.

EDIT: Looks like you've won 3 GADs now =S
Fri 16/02/07 at 13:00
Regular
Haha, Chips a nark.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.