GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hmmm, I smell a cheap marketing ploy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/12/03 at 23:52
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Remember all the kerfuffle about the Half-Life 2 source code being nicked, then spreading across the internet like wildfire? Well.. has anyone actually played it? Or have you just heard about a mate of a mate who claims to have a copy, like everyone else has? About one week after the story broke, at least 3 people I know claimed to know people who had a copy, but I never heard anything on all three counts.

Obviously people aren't going to broadcast the fact that they've got pirated software, but surely if it really HAS been stolen, someone somewhere would actually be playing it right now. Right? So show me.
Thu 01/01/04 at 11:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
spoonbeast wrote:
> so none of that oh-so-tasty features or cinematics was lost?
>
> In that case, the games fine. But it might need to be retwicked.

What do you mean?
Thu 01/01/04 at 09:20
Regular
"eat toast!"
so none of that oh-so-tasty features or cinematics was lost?

In that case, the games fine. But it might need to be retwicked.
Wed 31/12/03 at 23:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
spoonbeast wrote:
> well, according to my friend, the source code was in pieces and you
> had to somehow piece it together and the ai wasn't in place. Mind
> you, does look promising. I wonder if the hackers have actually
> ruined the game from being a truely fantastic game?

No it isnt. It may have been when the person got it off Valve, but the one being released was pretty much like any other game in execution, just create a shortcut to a exe, add one bit of code to the command and thats it. Once started you needed to use command line inputs, these arent to hard as most FPS games use command line inputs for cheats like "god" etc. Some AI was apparent but not on everything.

Personnally I dont think its ruined the game at all. There was no story line present, not many levels done etc. Its basically a little teaser for people to enjoy and to see what sort of pace the game will run on their PC.

Maybe they actually did release it as a hacked version to see what people made of it, who knows.
Wed 31/12/03 at 19:09
Regular
looks as though Valve decided to choose not-saded-at-all instead of cel-shaded effects for their selling point.
Wed 31/12/03 at 17:26
Regular
Looks class :D
Wed 31/12/03 at 17:18
"I love yo... lamp."
FantasyMeister wrote:
> http://www.geocities.com/mikescoates/Halflife2.JPG

Wow. Never knew about the whole new art direction. I'm excited now.
Wed 31/12/03 at 17:03
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> http://www.geocities.com/mikescoates/Halflife2.JPG

:D
Wed 31/12/03 at 13:57
Regular
"That's right!"
It could be an excuse to not have the game out for September like they promised. Release some barely playable code which hardly anyone will be able to get working, and say "This has caused a delay... blame the thieves, not us"
Wed 31/12/03 at 12:17
Regular
Yup, I know a site where you can still download it if you want...

I haven't tried though, it unPACKS to about 3GB
Wed 31/12/03 at 10:17
Regular
Well I saw it up for download on Bit Torrent (It's been removed now) but a friend did say he downloaded it and that it's full of bugs and you can barely play it, so it WAS up for download.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.