GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"KONAMI"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/01/04 at 16:12
Regular
Do you remember the era of the N64? Where we had but a few third party developers making their titles upon Nintendo's finest machine?

Capcom were making million selling franchises on the Playstation, Square stuck their middle finger up at cartidge based Nintendo, Namco repeatidly slanted Nintendo's home format, Eidos refused to accept the system existed and new company Rockstar would only release a handful of tiny projects. But what all these companies believe would come to pass did not, the fall of Nintendo. Some brilliant innovations, the introduction of Pokemon and a certain game called Goldeneye allowed the mighty N to laugh in the face of the massive menace that was the Playstation. Nintendo may have had themselves to blame for the introduction to the Playstation but it was also because of Nintendo and Nintendo alone that they had managed to stop the money guzzling giant from eating away at Nintendo's fabled fan base.

Nevertheless Nintendo had support, well at least a bit from two major companies... in the east that support came from friends and highly talented publisher/developer Konami and in the east the adult orientated genius that was Acclaim.

Oh how times change.

Now a mere generation later and all of the big Japanese developers are making games exclusivly for Nintendo... Namco have confirmed the release of all their biggest franchises (bar Time Crisis and Tekken) plus 2 exclusive Nintendo money spinners. Capcom have release 5 exclusive games for Nintendo in the last year and a half... since the sale of Rare in fact who, despite being a bigger production studio, have made a mere 1 title for Microsoft. Square had been grovelling for weeks and set up an independant studio to allow the creation of exclusive Gamecube titles. SEGA of course are always doing something for Nintendo. In the east EA show dedicated support for Nintendo, Eidos spot that Nintendo exist and actually published 2 games and Nintendo have picked up 2 new companies Silcion Knights and Retro Studios.

So where have Konami and Acclaim gone?

Acclaim of course still exist and they do still support Nintendo. But a whole lot less. Turok, the previous Nintendo exclusive title, is now multi-format... it is also crap. In fact a lot of Acclaim titles have lost it since they've decided to leave Nintendo in favour of the money grabbing Playstation market. It may be due to the recent shake up by the company but Acclaim have publicaly made Nintendo responsible for their lagging software sales. Shadowman, one of the finest N64 titles, got a sequel that was nothing more than a pathetic 3rd person adventure game for the PS2. Acclaim's biggest titles such as the Extreme G series and in particular Burnout are now all released as a PS2 title with a later conversion. It may not be a massive loss, whereas once they ruled they now do not and so not having this company as dedicated as they once were is not that damaging. But it is still sad.

Konami is a little different. Since the N54 era Konami have become probably the biggest Japanese 3rd party developer in the world. Pro Evolution Soccor and Metal Gear Solid are titles that sell systems in style and get number 1 all over the world. These are titles that have never appeared on a Nintendo home console (outside of Japan). Nintendo could do with such titles, but that is okay because Konami have exclusive games for Nintendo that can potentially do the same. Well at least they did. Castlevania and Mystical Ninja, fantastic underatted games (well I though so) on the N64 no longer exist as Nintendo titles. In fact other than the Gameboy Nintendo barley see anything of their old friend bar the disspointing ISS system. But unlike Acclaim Nintendo need to rescue their fallen relationship. Because Konami sell systems and Nintendo have systems to sell.

Enter Silicon Knights, in my eyes Nintendo's GREATEST developer. Retro are fantastic, Hal are amazing but Silicon Knights make works of art. Eternal Darkness for example, despite lacking flare, is such a beautifully crafted piece of perfection with not a flaw to find. Amazing and the release of their next title had a mixed response from me. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is a class looking title that has all the flare missing from past Knight's titles. But it is also a game that has stopped Dennis Dyack's team from making their next classic and concentrating on this upgraded port dicatated by Konami. Now the Metal Gear game is the first exclusive Konami game on the Gamecube... and they're not even making it. This is Nintendo trying desperatly to work so close to Konami that this is the first of a beautiful friendship. SK themselves have claimed this and that they could be working with Konami more in the future.

Could this be Konami's return? Could Retro be making a specific ISS Nintendo exclusive (the were making a football game after all)... Could Silicon Knights be producing the next Castlevania game (imagine how fantastic that would be)... Could Hal be ressurecting Goeman? What do you think?

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Fri 02/01/04 at 16:12
Regular
Do you remember the era of the N64? Where we had but a few third party developers making their titles upon Nintendo's finest machine?

Capcom were making million selling franchises on the Playstation, Square stuck their middle finger up at cartidge based Nintendo, Namco repeatidly slanted Nintendo's home format, Eidos refused to accept the system existed and new company Rockstar would only release a handful of tiny projects. But what all these companies believe would come to pass did not, the fall of Nintendo. Some brilliant innovations, the introduction of Pokemon and a certain game called Goldeneye allowed the mighty N to laugh in the face of the massive menace that was the Playstation. Nintendo may have had themselves to blame for the introduction to the Playstation but it was also because of Nintendo and Nintendo alone that they had managed to stop the money guzzling giant from eating away at Nintendo's fabled fan base.

Nevertheless Nintendo had support, well at least a bit from two major companies... in the east that support came from friends and highly talented publisher/developer Konami and in the east the adult orientated genius that was Acclaim.

Oh how times change.

Now a mere generation later and all of the big Japanese developers are making games exclusivly for Nintendo... Namco have confirmed the release of all their biggest franchises (bar Time Crisis and Tekken) plus 2 exclusive Nintendo money spinners. Capcom have release 5 exclusive games for Nintendo in the last year and a half... since the sale of Rare in fact who, despite being a bigger production studio, have made a mere 1 title for Microsoft. Square had been grovelling for weeks and set up an independant studio to allow the creation of exclusive Gamecube titles. SEGA of course are always doing something for Nintendo. In the east EA show dedicated support for Nintendo, Eidos spot that Nintendo exist and actually published 2 games and Nintendo have picked up 2 new companies Silcion Knights and Retro Studios.

So where have Konami and Acclaim gone?

Acclaim of course still exist and they do still support Nintendo. But a whole lot less. Turok, the previous Nintendo exclusive title, is now multi-format... it is also crap. In fact a lot of Acclaim titles have lost it since they've decided to leave Nintendo in favour of the money grabbing Playstation market. It may be due to the recent shake up by the company but Acclaim have publicaly made Nintendo responsible for their lagging software sales. Shadowman, one of the finest N64 titles, got a sequel that was nothing more than a pathetic 3rd person adventure game for the PS2. Acclaim's biggest titles such as the Extreme G series and in particular Burnout are now all released as a PS2 title with a later conversion. It may not be a massive loss, whereas once they ruled they now do not and so not having this company as dedicated as they once were is not that damaging. But it is still sad.

Konami is a little different. Since the N54 era Konami have become probably the biggest Japanese 3rd party developer in the world. Pro Evolution Soccor and Metal Gear Solid are titles that sell systems in style and get number 1 all over the world. These are titles that have never appeared on a Nintendo home console (outside of Japan). Nintendo could do with such titles, but that is okay because Konami have exclusive games for Nintendo that can potentially do the same. Well at least they did. Castlevania and Mystical Ninja, fantastic underatted games (well I though so) on the N64 no longer exist as Nintendo titles. In fact other than the Gameboy Nintendo barley see anything of their old friend bar the disspointing ISS system. But unlike Acclaim Nintendo need to rescue their fallen relationship. Because Konami sell systems and Nintendo have systems to sell.

Enter Silicon Knights, in my eyes Nintendo's GREATEST developer. Retro are fantastic, Hal are amazing but Silicon Knights make works of art. Eternal Darkness for example, despite lacking flare, is such a beautifully crafted piece of perfection with not a flaw to find. Amazing and the release of their next title had a mixed response from me. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is a class looking title that has all the flare missing from past Knight's titles. But it is also a game that has stopped Dennis Dyack's team from making their next classic and concentrating on this upgraded port dicatated by Konami. Now the Metal Gear game is the first exclusive Konami game on the Gamecube... and they're not even making it. This is Nintendo trying desperatly to work so close to Konami that this is the first of a beautiful friendship. SK themselves have claimed this and that they could be working with Konami more in the future.

Could this be Konami's return? Could Retro be making a specific ISS Nintendo exclusive (the were making a football game after all)... Could Silicon Knights be producing the next Castlevania game (imagine how fantastic that would be)... Could Hal be ressurecting Goeman? What do you think?

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Fri 02/01/04 at 17:04
Regular
Who cares?

I suggest a change of clothes and maybe some fresh air is what you need.
Fri 02/01/04 at 17:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Actually, neither do I.

Meh.
Fri 02/01/04 at 18:43
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Dringo, despite what these 2 pedestrians say, you're a great writer. Contact Conor from Cube-Europe and you could easily have these published on the site. Hell, even I'm wreiting for C-E, once fortnightly

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=5931

Boosh.
Fri 02/01/04 at 20:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Bad writer? No.

Just the topic is completely irrelevant to me.

Meh.
Fri 02/01/04 at 22:21
Regular
"tokyo police club"
True, but so are most topics.

Avast.
Fri 02/01/04 at 22:31
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Like your post Dringo, but have to disagree about Silicon Knights. Retro made a better game with Metroid than SK did with Eternal Darkness I'm afraid, and by a long way. And as for the future, sure SK do have the Metal Gear project looking verrry nice indeed, but a certain sequel from Retro could easily be superior.

Yes, having Metal Gear titles on Cube raises it's profile a bit, and I'm not doubting Silicon Knight's great worth, especially as Nintendo's allies grow thin. But I believe original games are what's important. I mean, if people want the MG1 story and the MG2 gameplay, they'll buy both games and play them on a Playstation. But Retro's Metroid is completely Nintendo-exclusive, and so therefore it'll attract more punters.

That's if Metroid 2 is marketed properly, unlike the first game's half-assed promotion.
Fri 02/01/04 at 22:44
Regular
Ah but Retro had the entire of EAD and several Nintendo teams to sort out major issues with Metroid Prime.

Silicon Knights made a far more complex but almost perfect game.
Fri 02/01/04 at 22:47
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Who cares?
>
> I suggest a change of clothes and maybe some fresh air is what you
> need.

I haven't written a post like this in such a long time and it was being written towards the end of Gameaday. When Gameaday for posts ended i just left it and just now I thought I'd finish it off, add a modern sheen and post it.

Stop moaning you used to give such useful responses now all you do is criticise. It is no wonder I don't like you anymore.
Fri 02/01/04 at 22:47
Regular
"We'll all hellbound"
EAD?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.