GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"F-Zero: Maximum Velocity"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/08/01 at 10:48
Regular
I'd just like to show you guys that although I am a dedicated PS2 and PSX owner, I also enjoy playing on my GBA as well. Here is my review of F-Zero: Maximum Velocity.

It was the last race of the tournament. I was in J.B Crystal, and I was determined to win. This was my last spare machine...after this, there would be no more chances.

3...2...1..GO! Off we went, 15 high-speed F-Zero racers, all with one goal: victory. I was third-as J.B doesn't have brilliant acceleration, but I moved up to first as we turned the first corner. This was due to J.B's superb balance. Fire Ball tried to use it's good boost speed down the straight to pass me, but I blocked him off. This lost both of us a small amount of power, but I could regain that later.

I came up to some tight corners, and unfortunately I didn't brake enough, and this caused me to crash into the side of the track, loosing more power. The rest of the lap was straight-forward, and I was second as I crossed the line. I then used my boost to go into 1st place, but was overtaken by Blue Violet and Fire Ball on the first corner.

The positions stayed like this until the end of lap 3, when I pulled off to the side of the track and zoomed along the green strip that gave me back most of my energy. This meant I forgot to boost, and I went down to 4th.

I then boosted the whole of the next lap, and although I lost a lot of power, I was up to 2nd again. Halfway through the last lap I had a rather large crash with Fire Ball. I tumbled, my head smashing against the hard interiors of J.B Crystal. I was losing power all the time, but I managed to regain some control. As I came to the last corner of the circuit, I tried to keep J.B straight, but it was too hard. I smashed into the side of the circuit, and blew up. The end of my race...the end of my tournament.

I packed my GBA into it's carry case, and hoped that next time I would be able to conquer the final circuit.

Hopefully, that gave you a bit of description of what an amazing game F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is.

It's a high-flying, boosting, jumping, zooming, turning, exciting game, full of nothing but high-speed action.

There are around 10 different tournaments you can do in a choice of 4 speedy F-Zero Racers, and there are more you can win later. There are 5 different races in each tournament, and every circuit has it's own innovative features. Some are very fast tracks with mostly straights, but some are very tight, with many bending and winding corners.

In the corner of a screen is a Power Gauge. Everytime you crash into the side of the track or another racer, you lose power. Once you lose all power-you explode. There are ways to regain power though, and these need to be used well if you want to complete the game.

Also, there is a specified position you must finish in or before at the end of each lap. If you don't, then your race is over. Obviously, the postions get higher as you go along.

There are many other hazards you will have to overcome to win races. Some parts of the track are covered with a black substance that will slow you down, and you may have to take some sharp corners to miss these. There are also parts that will take your power away.

But there are some bonuses as will. Most circuits have at least one boost arrow, which if you will drive over it, will increase your speed. There are also jumps, which if used properly, can be very helpful in gaining positions.

The original aspects of gameplay in F-Zero: Maximum Velocity are what makes this game so good, as well as the rather good graphics, which are actually quite detailed-especially the racers and the tracks.

Overall, this game is as exciting and thrilling as you're going to get. It's high-paced action will entice you, and although it's occasionally frustrating, it's even more rewarding when you are the victor.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 21/08/01 at 16:50
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
did u review it in the review section. i did. i like that game a lot as well. it is one of my 3 gba games. the others r tony hawks 2 and mario advance.
Tue 21/08/01 at 10:48
Regular
"I like cheese"
I'd just like to show you guys that although I am a dedicated PS2 and PSX owner, I also enjoy playing on my GBA as well. Here is my review of F-Zero: Maximum Velocity.

It was the last race of the tournament. I was in J.B Crystal, and I was determined to win. This was my last spare machine...after this, there would be no more chances.

3...2...1..GO! Off we went, 15 high-speed F-Zero racers, all with one goal: victory. I was third-as J.B doesn't have brilliant acceleration, but I moved up to first as we turned the first corner. This was due to J.B's superb balance. Fire Ball tried to use it's good boost speed down the straight to pass me, but I blocked him off. This lost both of us a small amount of power, but I could regain that later.

I came up to some tight corners, and unfortunately I didn't brake enough, and this caused me to crash into the side of the track, loosing more power. The rest of the lap was straight-forward, and I was second as I crossed the line. I then used my boost to go into 1st place, but was overtaken by Blue Violet and Fire Ball on the first corner.

The positions stayed like this until the end of lap 3, when I pulled off to the side of the track and zoomed along the green strip that gave me back most of my energy. This meant I forgot to boost, and I went down to 4th.

I then boosted the whole of the next lap, and although I lost a lot of power, I was up to 2nd again. Halfway through the last lap I had a rather large crash with Fire Ball. I tumbled, my head smashing against the hard interiors of J.B Crystal. I was losing power all the time, but I managed to regain some control. As I came to the last corner of the circuit, I tried to keep J.B straight, but it was too hard. I smashed into the side of the circuit, and blew up. The end of my race...the end of my tournament.

I packed my GBA into it's carry case, and hoped that next time I would be able to conquer the final circuit.

Hopefully, that gave you a bit of description of what an amazing game F-Zero: Maximum Velocity is.

It's a high-flying, boosting, jumping, zooming, turning, exciting game, full of nothing but high-speed action.

There are around 10 different tournaments you can do in a choice of 4 speedy F-Zero Racers, and there are more you can win later. There are 5 different races in each tournament, and every circuit has it's own innovative features. Some are very fast tracks with mostly straights, but some are very tight, with many bending and winding corners.

In the corner of a screen is a Power Gauge. Everytime you crash into the side of the track or another racer, you lose power. Once you lose all power-you explode. There are ways to regain power though, and these need to be used well if you want to complete the game.

Also, there is a specified position you must finish in or before at the end of each lap. If you don't, then your race is over. Obviously, the postions get higher as you go along.

There are many other hazards you will have to overcome to win races. Some parts of the track are covered with a black substance that will slow you down, and you may have to take some sharp corners to miss these. There are also parts that will take your power away.

But there are some bonuses as will. Most circuits have at least one boost arrow, which if you will drive over it, will increase your speed. There are also jumps, which if used properly, can be very helpful in gaining positions.

The original aspects of gameplay in F-Zero: Maximum Velocity are what makes this game so good, as well as the rather good graphics, which are actually quite detailed-especially the racers and the tracks.

Overall, this game is as exciting and thrilling as you're going to get. It's high-paced action will entice you, and although it's occasionally frustrating, it's even more rewarding when you are the victor.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.