GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Football Commentators"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/08/01 at 18:33
Regular
Do we love em or hate em?.....

Commentators are a must when listening to football on the Radio, funnily enough!.... But are they really necessary for Football on TV?

Some commentators have just the most annoying voice, no names (Andy Gray, Mark Lawrenson and John Motson!) and some commentators just say the most annoying and stupid things!

Take a look at some of these blunders made by commentators in the past few years:

“It's now 1-1, an exact reversal of the score on Saturday”

“Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer.”

“They’ve won 66 games, and they've scored in all of them.”

When you’re watching your favourite team play and they score what *you* think is the best goal in history, and the commentator says “That was a lucky Goal” don’t you just want to shoot him smack bang between his eyes?! :-)

Watching football, just wouldn’t be the same without the noise of the crowd chanting “The referees a....” and the sound of a players boot making sweet contact with the ball. I mean don’t you just get frustrated when there’s a “Technical Fault” and you lose all the background sound?

Now, when the sound of the commentators occasionally switch off I think YES!..... I can now watch football without some little parrot making stupid squawking noises!

Have you ever been to a football match live? Its great isn’t it.... The atmosphere, the players you worship, the nice juicy hotdogs!
But no commentator..... Wouldn’t you find it annoying if you were sat/stood next to a bloke in the stands commentating on every blinking move a player makes?!

So I ask you..... Do we need commentators on TV?

Thanks for reading.

Dav1d
Mon 20/08/01 at 18:33
Regular
Do we love em or hate em?.....

Commentators are a must when listening to football on the Radio, funnily enough!.... But are they really necessary for Football on TV?

Some commentators have just the most annoying voice, no names (Andy Gray, Mark Lawrenson and John Motson!) and some commentators just say the most annoying and stupid things!

Take a look at some of these blunders made by commentators in the past few years:

“It's now 1-1, an exact reversal of the score on Saturday”

“Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer.”

“They’ve won 66 games, and they've scored in all of them.”

When you’re watching your favourite team play and they score what *you* think is the best goal in history, and the commentator says “That was a lucky Goal” don’t you just want to shoot him smack bang between his eyes?! :-)

Watching football, just wouldn’t be the same without the noise of the crowd chanting “The referees a....” and the sound of a players boot making sweet contact with the ball. I mean don’t you just get frustrated when there’s a “Technical Fault” and you lose all the background sound?

Now, when the sound of the commentators occasionally switch off I think YES!..... I can now watch football without some little parrot making stupid squawking noises!

Have you ever been to a football match live? Its great isn’t it.... The atmosphere, the players you worship, the nice juicy hotdogs!
But no commentator..... Wouldn’t you find it annoying if you were sat/stood next to a bloke in the stands commentating on every blinking move a player makes?!

So I ask you..... Do we need commentators on TV?

Thanks for reading.

Dav1d
Mon 20/08/01 at 23:20
Regular
I reckon it would be pritty boring without Commentators. I cant quite give a reason why it would be though. Maybe its beacuse the commentators set the scene for the game and make it more exciting. I do agree some commentators do have some really boring voices and make u wanna switch off.

But I still think it would be worse without the commentators. Take the 1966 World cup final, you know the line..."they think its all over...it is now." i think this is one of the most memorable moments from the actual final.
Mon 20/08/01 at 23:32
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Thats the most memorable thing of the final for english fans mainly.
Mon 20/08/01 at 23:37
Regular
I admit...... that is a fine bit of history, but come on.... we're talking about 1966 here!

If thats the only thing we can think of that without commentators it wouldnt have been the same then I do really think thats a good enough reason.

Just out of curiosity.... Who is your worst commentator?

Mines definately Mark Lawrenson! Does he actually like football?! :-)
Mon 20/08/01 at 23:39
Regular
Dav1d wrote:
> then I *DON'T* really think thats a good enough reason.

Just a slight correction there! would have made my views totally the opposite to what i thought!
Tue 21/08/01 at 00:05
Regular
Right then, on the radio obviosly you need them, on tv though to some degree yes you do need them, They often give you the little facts and info, and it would just not be the same without them, however a lot of them are very annoying.

And wednesday will make it!! :)
Tue 21/08/01 at 00:08
Regular
Whats happening wednesday?!

Sheffield Tuesday have more chance of going up! :-)
Tue 21/08/01 at 00:10
Regular
YOUR EVIL!!!!!!! :)
Tue 21/08/01 at 00:13
Regular
MWA HA HA HA HA! :-)
Tue 21/08/01 at 01:06
Regular
yes i also hate Mark Lawrenson. he is one the most boring persons on TV.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.