GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RIP Books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/08/01 at 00:18
Regular
There was a time not so long ago when books were seen as the main form of entertainment. If you ask your parents what they did when they were 13/14 for fun at nights it would probably be board games and... read books.

I'm sure everyones read a book before. I thoroughly enjoy reading some, but its sad to see how much people especially the youth are losing interest in books. Why is this?

The main reason is that when books were the main form of entertainment there wasn't as much choice on television (no wide range of films today) and their were not games. The easiest way to entertain yourself was a trip down to the library.

Probably the greatest form of entertainment today are computers and consoles. If I asked most of you reading this post today you would probably say you'd rather play a copy of Gran Turismo 3 then read a book. Even I myself haven't read a book in ages. The main reason for not reading a book is the fact I firstly haven't got the time - I stay up most of the night playing computer games and watching films on the television and when I get to bed I'm tired and go straight to bed.. This is the time where I'd usually read a book. We humans like to read books when relaxed - we will read them while sunbathing or tucked up in bed... not on a chair in the middle of the day. This is why I think people are losing interest in books. They lose this valuable relaxing time where they can read books as they are always busy - always doing something.

However.. young children are encouraged to read and do it regularly. Young children are less busy and are sent to bed at times like 8pm and get absorbed in a book as they are not tired - they don't stay up to watch a film all night do they...?

...But when they get older they are busy. They have homework, they know how to use a computer, they are interested in watching films more - especially the later night ones (rather than a showing of Disney's Pocahontas mid day). And really this is quite a sad fact that we haven't got time to read a book... There is nothing like reading a book. A film can't match a book in anyway whatsoever. A film is a directors interpretation of a story - a book is where a film all starts yet we don't appreciate it. I read "The Beach" and have seen the film. I watched "The Beach" first and it was so much better in the book than the film. The director had interpreted it so wrongly in my opinion - it was nothing like it - a disapointment. However the youth didn't care - they got to see Di Caprio after all...

The last long book (apart from short stories) I read was "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" - sad isn't it. But hopefully since its such a hit with the little kiddies too they will go on to read more books. Lets just hope the film doesn't ruin it for them.

Thanks for 'read..ing'... geddit.. you don't think it was funny? Ok I'll shut up now :/
Mon 20/08/01 at 21:32
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
misterhappy wrote:
> I thought for a minute with a title like 'RIP books', you were going
> to say that reading was dead. Far from it, reading is great.

Deffo my friend. I suggested Books were dead meaning that they are being forgotten by the youth. The youth prefer alternatives to books as they don't require interactivity. People sit in front of the television all day... and why. Because they can't be bothered to use their brain. It's true - people do shut off when they watch a film. They go to be entertained. A book has so much potential because you can entertain yourself but sadly you need some kind of imagination to do that.. many people can't provide that imagination and make the "don't read books it's not cool image"

> say in all honesty that my favourite book was far more enjoyable
> than my favourite film and, believe me, i watch a lot of films

I'd have to disagree. I'm not saying films are bad. Far from it. There are sometimes people need to shut themselves off and be entertained. The Matrix lobby scene really entertained me. A book could not have matched the things shown in that scene. Sometimes your imagination can't produce images of such quality. However they can be very good for other images. I personally don't think action books work very well as they tend to be made of "He shot several bullets which planted themselves in the war". I much prefer mystery stories with their suspense and atmosphere.

> see, films leave nothing to the imagination, nor computer games, in
> a book you are actuvely invited to plunge yourself into a different
> world, to engage with characters and to create them in your own
> mind. I find that films have nothing like the same degree of
> intimacy as some books do.

I agree - not much more to say here.

I think there are two main reasons for
> the decline in reading. One is that it is no longer, as you said,
> the only form of media-based entertainment. This has left most
> reading to take place in the school environment, often under duress.
> School really takes the fun out of books. 'Hard Times' by Charles
> Dickens is potentially a great novel but the way it was dissected
> and analysed for exams at school really took out all the excitement.

I agree with this too. School tries to encourage you to read only to make it less fun. I have to say reading and analysing stories like "The Monkeys Paw" which I must say was quite an amazing short story I began to detest it. I associated "The Monkeys Paw" with boredom. I think this has a rub on effect with people who never read books outside school before they read them in school. That's why encouragement at an early age is so vital - to show people they can be fun.

> Also the school association makes it very uncool as well. The second
> reason is fairly similar; reading's also become uncool because of
> idiot rock stars like Fred Durst proudly proclaiming that they have
> never read a book.

Fred Durst is an idiot nuff said.
Sun 19/08/01 at 00:32
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I thought for a minute with a title like 'RIP books', you were going to say that reading was dead. Far from it, reading is great. I can say in all honesty that my favourite book was far more enjoyable than my favourite film and, believe me, i watch a lot of films. You see, films leave nothing to the imagination, nor computer games, in a book you are actuvely invited to plunge yourself into a different world, to engage with characters and to create them in your own mind. I find that films have nothing like the same degree of intimacy as some books do.
I think there are two main reasons for the decline in reading. One is that it is no longer, as you said, the only form of media-based entertainment. This has left most reading to take place in the school environment, often under duress. School really takes the fun out of books. 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens is potentially a great novel but the way it was dissected and analysed for exams at school really took out all the excitement. Also the school association makes it very uncool as well. The second reason is fairly similar; reading's also become uncool because of idiot rock stars like Fred Durst proudly proclaiming that they have never read a book.

If you want something to read then pick up 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller. It is one of the funniest books ever written.
Sun 19/08/01 at 00:18
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
There was a time not so long ago when books were seen as the main form of entertainment. If you ask your parents what they did when they were 13/14 for fun at nights it would probably be board games and... read books.

I'm sure everyones read a book before. I thoroughly enjoy reading some, but its sad to see how much people especially the youth are losing interest in books. Why is this?

The main reason is that when books were the main form of entertainment there wasn't as much choice on television (no wide range of films today) and their were not games. The easiest way to entertain yourself was a trip down to the library.

Probably the greatest form of entertainment today are computers and consoles. If I asked most of you reading this post today you would probably say you'd rather play a copy of Gran Turismo 3 then read a book. Even I myself haven't read a book in ages. The main reason for not reading a book is the fact I firstly haven't got the time - I stay up most of the night playing computer games and watching films on the television and when I get to bed I'm tired and go straight to bed.. This is the time where I'd usually read a book. We humans like to read books when relaxed - we will read them while sunbathing or tucked up in bed... not on a chair in the middle of the day. This is why I think people are losing interest in books. They lose this valuable relaxing time where they can read books as they are always busy - always doing something.

However.. young children are encouraged to read and do it regularly. Young children are less busy and are sent to bed at times like 8pm and get absorbed in a book as they are not tired - they don't stay up to watch a film all night do they...?

...But when they get older they are busy. They have homework, they know how to use a computer, they are interested in watching films more - especially the later night ones (rather than a showing of Disney's Pocahontas mid day). And really this is quite a sad fact that we haven't got time to read a book... There is nothing like reading a book. A film can't match a book in anyway whatsoever. A film is a directors interpretation of a story - a book is where a film all starts yet we don't appreciate it. I read "The Beach" and have seen the film. I watched "The Beach" first and it was so much better in the book than the film. The director had interpreted it so wrongly in my opinion - it was nothing like it - a disapointment. However the youth didn't care - they got to see Di Caprio after all...

The last long book (apart from short stories) I read was "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" - sad isn't it. But hopefully since its such a hit with the little kiddies too they will go on to read more books. Lets just hope the film doesn't ruin it for them.

Thanks for 'read..ing'... geddit.. you don't think it was funny? Ok I'll shut up now :/

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.