GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The multiconsole."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/08/01 at 20:33
Regular
Yes, i have started another topic. Here goes.

Why dont Sony,Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft come together to make one console. This may have already been written about, but i was'nt going back to look througth masses of topics. Well since the race is starting to get under way for the number 1 hotspot of the console kings i thought we could discuss this.

Well with millions of people choosing which console they want to buy, wars are going on between "our console is better than yours" been thrown around, so i will get to the point. Make one that all the companies and developers can produce for. Surely in this day and age it could be done, if everyone shared information it could be so. Here are the main reasons why i think it wont happen and why it should:

Money: If there were only one console then money would be lost, the profit of one console being bought would have to be split 4 ways plus to all the other assosiations that get a cut. However if each company sell there home grown games from each format and make the games good, they should still make money. Money could also be made from online games. If the machines were all the same it would make it a lot easier to play friends, money would be made from monthly fees.

Pride: this may sound stupid, but i feel that its a factor, each company wants to show it is the best at what they do. This means that there are no mergers. However there is some hope, Sega are now developing games on PS2 and no doubt other formats.

There are though lots of advantages for the consumer, all the good points if each console would be put together in one. The only down side will be which games to pick. However, is this just a pleasent fiction, or is there a chance we will get our Multiconsole. For the moment though, im perfectly happy with my PS2. :)
Sat 18/08/01 at 20:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Yes, i have started another topic. Here goes.

Why dont Sony,Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft come together to make one console. This may have already been written about, but i was'nt going back to look througth masses of topics. Well since the race is starting to get under way for the number 1 hotspot of the console kings i thought we could discuss this.

Well with millions of people choosing which console they want to buy, wars are going on between "our console is better than yours" been thrown around, so i will get to the point. Make one that all the companies and developers can produce for. Surely in this day and age it could be done, if everyone shared information it could be so. Here are the main reasons why i think it wont happen and why it should:

Money: If there were only one console then money would be lost, the profit of one console being bought would have to be split 4 ways plus to all the other assosiations that get a cut. However if each company sell there home grown games from each format and make the games good, they should still make money. Money could also be made from online games. If the machines were all the same it would make it a lot easier to play friends, money would be made from monthly fees.

Pride: this may sound stupid, but i feel that its a factor, each company wants to show it is the best at what they do. This means that there are no mergers. However there is some hope, Sega are now developing games on PS2 and no doubt other formats.

There are though lots of advantages for the consumer, all the good points if each console would be put together in one. The only down side will be which games to pick. However, is this just a pleasent fiction, or is there a chance we will get our Multiconsole. For the moment though, im perfectly happy with my PS2. :)
Sat 18/08/01 at 21:28
I believe that there is at present no real advantage in having a multiplatform console. The closest to a multiplatform console we have today is a high specced PC running buggy emulators and they cost the earth.

Its a nice idea, like communism...but it wouldnt work in reality. It would however be nice to have some set standards like in port design so that one pad would work on all consoles. I used to use my megadrive pad on my Amiga and it worked great. These days having to buy 4 pads at £30 each for each new console to get the multiplayer experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If these companys can compromise on their peripheral monopolys then maybe someday well have a multiplatform console...until then its not even worth trying.
Sat 18/08/01 at 21:39
Regular
yeah that was cool, i used to use a mega drive pad for my amiga too.

we shouldnt have one super console. we would lose too many things. we could lose variety, and as said before the price of the games would most likely rise. and that would be a very bad thing.
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:08
Regular
"Back For Good"
Oh for flips sake LOOK ISSPRO if all companies worked together to create a "superconsole" what if you didn't like it then what??

With all the companies working together without any competition they wouldn't feel any stress to make their console better than the rest and would slack off cough cough microsoft.

do you see????
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:09
Regular
Sorry.
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:30
Regular
Actually, im not sorry, this is something i beleive if thought out well by the right people could work.
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:35
Anything that creates a monopoly in a market is bad for it. With monopolies, read lower quality and higher prices. It's just one of them things unfortunately - nice in theory but impractical in the real world.
Sun 19/08/01 at 13:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
sony and nintendo together. is that what u are suggesting. never in the blue hell will that happen. ok topic but never.
Sun 19/08/01 at 15:39
Regular
Not just Sony and Ninty, all of the formats, but it seems that You dont think it could happen. Fair enough.
Mon 20/08/01 at 16:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
i alsonotice u have contacts with shef wed. hmmmm interesting. still nothing wrong with that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.