GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need parental advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/02/10 at 17:24
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Dear knowledgeable ones.

My younger kids, that's the ones between 14 and 16 years old, have recently benefitted from upgraded sound and vision on their Xbox 360's. But, since these upgrades have been installed, I have observed (suffered) an increased reluctance on their part to move from their station when asked.

As a responsible parent, am I unwittingly causing my kids a social disadvantage?

What do you think is the maximum number of XBox 360 hours per day which a parent of teenagers should impose?

Can you suggest any leverage I might have to unstick them from their seats, for example in order for them to eat a square meal, or do you believe that cans of Red Bull and packets of Pringles will do?
Fri 19/02/10 at 13:12
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yeah but you probably spoil your kids because you know what the top quality stuff is :D

I know I hope to when I have a couple. :)
Fri 19/02/10 at 13:07
"Are you sure?"
For other parents...

I can also recommend NOT buying your child a 'gaming chair' with built in subwoofer etc. etc. ! :¬(

Especially if you value the plaster work of the ceiling below ...!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 19/02/10 at 12:54
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Being on the reverse side I can say that I was pretty much like this at 14-15. I would refuse to do anything other than play my PS at times.

One thing that got my attention, was after playing a game for several hours and not doing my homework, my mother came up and just "toe-poked" the off button..... Certainly got my attention.

A later punishment also involved my mother banning my memory card......

You have the benefit of technological knowledge unlike some of the older fashioned parents, where sending their child to their room is not really the punishment it used to be. What with their surround sound TV (HD ready), 360,PS3 and bean bag chair :D
Fri 19/02/10 at 11:27
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
pb wrote:

> Can't you just take out the Ethernet connection for the Xbox on
> the back of the router? That shouldn't affect anything else
> then.

And then I would need to place the router in a locked box!
Fri 19/02/10 at 11:25
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Being 17 myself, the thing that would annoy me most (although my
> parents haven't discovered this tactic) is turning the Xbox off
> or the connection off. That way you give them the option to come
> clean and give them a chance to finish, or they get the Xbox
> turned off regardless. Also, you should force a penalty upon
> them, if they ignore you, they can't play it tomorrow or
> something along those lines. They're your kids, don't let them
> rule the roost (even if i may rule my own ;D)

I appreciate all your comments. It's a tricky subject, that's for sure.
Fri 19/02/10 at 11:21
"possibly impossible"
Tony wrote:
> Hmmm... wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> Can you suggest any leverage I might have to unstick them...
>
>
> My tip works for PS3 not sure if it will work with XBOX.
> If you flick the Freeola Wireless Broadband off - that normally
> gets their attention!
>
> They would be a little easier to control if they were both
> wireless, but unfortunately one of them is wired in. Unplugging
> them is the last resort, partly because it disrupts the NAT
> settings on one of the machines, partly because it disables
> everything else in the house, and partly because we don't allow
> swearing!

Can't you just take out the Ethernet connection for the Xbox on the back of the router? That shouldn't affect anything else then.
Fri 19/02/10 at 11:17
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> Can you suggest any leverage I might have to unstick them...
>
>
> My tip works for PS3 not sure if it will work with XBOX.
> If you flick the Freeola Wireless Broadband off - that normally
> gets their attention!

They would be a little easier to control if they were both wireless, but unfortunately one of them is wired in. Unplugging them is the last resort, partly because it disrupts the NAT settings on one of the machines, partly because it disables everything else in the house, and partly because we don't allow swearing!
Thu 18/02/10 at 20:10
Regular
"How Ironic"
Being 17 myself, the thing that would annoy me most (although my parents haven't discovered this tactic) is turning the Xbox off or the connection off. That way you give them the option to come clean and give them a chance to finish, or they get the Xbox turned off regardless. Also, you should force a penalty upon them, if they ignore you, they can't play it tomorrow or something along those lines. They're your kids, don't let them rule the roost (even if i may rule my own ;D)
Thu 18/02/10 at 19:36
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I used to be allowed a maximum of 2 hours a day. And that was only after homework.

Now I pay rent they let me be to game for as many hours as I like to be able to write your site's wonderful reviews. :)

Set rules and as Hmmm... says, flicking the power or broadband off usually work at catching their attention...
Thu 18/02/10 at 19:00
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I found with me at that age that it was better to set ground rules from the start. My parents said that when I got home from school, I should do my homework before dinner and then play games after dinner until bed if I wanted to.

It was a bit different for me though because we always went out as a family on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I also had a decent group of friends that wanted to go out and play football on occasion.

As for how many hours, just make sure they don't play too much so it interferes with meals, chores and bed time. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.