GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Greatest Films of our Time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/08/01 at 16:39
Regular
So what makes a great film? In this topic I want you too put down a great film and say what makes it so good. As a start the film I would choose would be Arlington Road. As a keen film collector myself(I've got 140 now)I now appreciate a good film instead of just watching a cheap action film.

Take Starship Troopers for example great special affects and great action, but the whole film was tack. Now it's quite hard to describe what makes it so bad, but it just was. While with Arlington Road you are presented with a non stop roller coaster ride of a film.

Everything in the film, in my opinion, was perfect. It started great and ended in a remarkable scene that leaves you there speachless. When the film ended I was actually sweating. Also it supplies us with more than what most films give us. You watch it and think 'Yeah, yeah I've seen it all before this is gonna happen next'. But the thing is that is what the film has made you to believe. I bet no-one here could have predicted such a good ending.

There wasn't a dull moment and even when he is teaching in the classroom it still keeps your attention because of the way the film is presented. Now if there are any other films like this out there then please tell me because I have never seen any film which compares to Arlington Road.
Sat 18/08/01 at 16:39
Regular
So what makes a great film? In this topic I want you too put down a great film and say what makes it so good. As a start the film I would choose would be Arlington Road. As a keen film collector myself(I've got 140 now)I now appreciate a good film instead of just watching a cheap action film.

Take Starship Troopers for example great special affects and great action, but the whole film was tack. Now it's quite hard to describe what makes it so bad, but it just was. While with Arlington Road you are presented with a non stop roller coaster ride of a film.

Everything in the film, in my opinion, was perfect. It started great and ended in a remarkable scene that leaves you there speachless. When the film ended I was actually sweating. Also it supplies us with more than what most films give us. You watch it and think 'Yeah, yeah I've seen it all before this is gonna happen next'. But the thing is that is what the film has made you to believe. I bet no-one here could have predicted such a good ending.

There wasn't a dull moment and even when he is teaching in the classroom it still keeps your attention because of the way the film is presented. Now if there are any other films like this out there then please tell me because I have never seen any film which compares to Arlington Road.
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:12
Regular
We will soon see if Final Fantasy the Movie is up to scratch...

I havent seen it, but I definately want to, and I think the makers have taken films to another level..

Will it be the graphics that make the film or the story-line?....
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:26
Regular
Dav1d wrote:
> We will soon see if Final Fantasy the Movie is up to scratch...

I
> havent seen it, but I definately want to, and I think the makers
> have taken films to another level..

Will it be the graphics that
> make the film or the story-line?....

I have seen like, because like I said I own 140 films plus I go to the cinema at least once a week. I'm actually thinking of a profession in journalism. But anyway the visual affects where breath taking. At certain times in the film you could not tell whether you where watching a real film or animation. And too be honest I wasn't disappointed with the film overall. I won't tell you the story line because it's just stupid and hard to explain. But there are lots of famous actors voices in the film such as Donald Sutherland and Alec Baldwin.

The beginning is good just a shame about the end.
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:46
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
JAWS! Whatta film!
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:46
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
and ROCKY!... How could I forget that film... classic!
Sat 18/08/01 at 20:20
Regular
I think your talking out of your ar*e just to win gameaday. But you won't. Because someone there is always someone who has done something better than this. And you know what I think? I think the winners half the time are crap and other people's have been better. But yours is true crap. So just to let you know you will not win it. Ha

;0)
Sat 18/08/01 at 20:49
Regular
"The Rock" is my favourite film of all time!
Sat 18/08/01 at 21:16
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I think your talking out of your ar*e just to win gameaday. But you
> won't. Because someone there is always someone who has done
> something better than this. And you know what I think? I think the
> winners half the time are crap and other people's have been better.
> But yours is true crap. So just to let you know you will not win it.
> Ha

;0)

OI I said that. Where did you get that from? We were having a nice converstation in my other room and then you use my exact words against me. Some people
Sun 19/08/01 at 00:39
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Arlington road is a good film. Yes I agree with that, but it's hardly one of the greatest films of our time. If you are a major film fan then you have probably seen the Coen Brothers' legendary film 'Fargo'. That is a truly great film; it is leagues ahead of Arlington Rd. In fact Anything by the Coen Brothers beats Alrington Rd. in this film fan's humble opinion.
Personally though I have a penchant for Kevin Smith films, Mall Rats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, etc. They're not truly great films but they are better than most.
By the way, did you not think that Arlington Rd. was a little slow building up; I think "like a Rollercoaster ride" is a little misleading. It is a well-worked film, but the ending isn't too subtle. The Usual Suspects... now there is a film with a twist.
Sun 19/08/01 at 15:09
Regular
The Matrix! This must be classed as the best film of the last millenium!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.