GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Bloons (iPod Touch)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Bloons'.
Wed 17/02/10 at 23:17
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
It’s reading week at my university this week and I figured I would venture back home and visit the family. This meant a fairly lengthy trip on the train and in order to combat boredom I decided I’d spend a couple of pounds on a game or two for the journey.

Many games made available for iTunes have seen their first appearance on the internet in online based games that can be played on sites such as MiniClip and more. It makes perfect sense, their simple yet addictive nature is perfect for quick plays on a mobile device and their cheap cost makes it even more attractive. Looking over the vast list I recognised one title “Bloons” immediately. I remember playing this in boring lectures (when I shouldn’t be) to pass the minutes before I could finally leave. It was great fun and I thought it would be a great addition to my iPod collection.

The idea of “Bloons” is extremely simple. You control a monkey. Why a monkey you ask? Why not?! You must then throw darts at balloons popping as many as you can going from level to level. Simple enough. The only control you actually have is of the angle and power at which you throw each dart and while that doesn’t seem like much, it is more than enough to provide a decent challenge.

For example an opening level may consist of only a group of around fifty balloons where you need to pop forty. Trouble is you’re only given five darts so deciding on the best arch and distance is vital in using them wisely. But just popping regular balloons isn’t where it ends. Along the way you’ll come across unique ones that can help and hinder you. Certain ones may explode on impact, others shoot out tiny tacks when hit and particular ones freeze anything nearby often creating walls blocking other balloons. The varying balloons make for some extremely tough puzzles later on in the game and will undoubtedly leave you scratching your head.

Using the touch screen you drag an on screen arrow to the point where you’re happy with the angle and the power the dart will be thrown at. My initial thoughts were that the small screen would mean making accurate shots too tough. Fortunately though after playing on my train ride home I realised my mistake as the game handles very well.

The key with this game is trial and error. While some people may hate the idea of replaying a level over and over until a solution is found, it actually works really well thanks to how quick a level can be completed. You won’t mind being frustrated by a simple puzzle that has you racking your brain for hundreds of attempts.

The game originally offered fifty levels but having bought it fairly late after its release another hundred are available to play through too which is an added bonus. Each offer different patterns and challenges which will likely last you a fair while. Whatsmore a neat feature added is the option to tackle a level with unlimited balloons. While it takes away any real point or goal, it does offer an easier way of getting to all the levels for those who find the main mode too tough.

At only 59 pence, whether or not this was actually any good I wasn’t exactly going to feel ripped off. Luckily though I had a lot of fun playing this. While I can’t see myself playing it for hours at a time, it is ideal for those quick ten minute sessions whether your riding a train, waiting for a bus or just killing some time during adverts on TV.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 17/02/10 at 23:17
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
It’s reading week at my university this week and I figured I would venture back home and visit the family. This meant a fairly lengthy trip on the train and in order to combat boredom I decided I’d spend a couple of pounds on a game or two for the journey.

Many games made available for iTunes have seen their first appearance on the internet in online based games that can be played on sites such as MiniClip and more. It makes perfect sense, their simple yet addictive nature is perfect for quick plays on a mobile device and their cheap cost makes it even more attractive. Looking over the vast list I recognised one title “Bloons” immediately. I remember playing this in boring lectures (when I shouldn’t be) to pass the minutes before I could finally leave. It was great fun and I thought it would be a great addition to my iPod collection.

The idea of “Bloons” is extremely simple. You control a monkey. Why a monkey you ask? Why not?! You must then throw darts at balloons popping as many as you can going from level to level. Simple enough. The only control you actually have is of the angle and power at which you throw each dart and while that doesn’t seem like much, it is more than enough to provide a decent challenge.

For example an opening level may consist of only a group of around fifty balloons where you need to pop forty. Trouble is you’re only given five darts so deciding on the best arch and distance is vital in using them wisely. But just popping regular balloons isn’t where it ends. Along the way you’ll come across unique ones that can help and hinder you. Certain ones may explode on impact, others shoot out tiny tacks when hit and particular ones freeze anything nearby often creating walls blocking other balloons. The varying balloons make for some extremely tough puzzles later on in the game and will undoubtedly leave you scratching your head.

Using the touch screen you drag an on screen arrow to the point where you’re happy with the angle and the power the dart will be thrown at. My initial thoughts were that the small screen would mean making accurate shots too tough. Fortunately though after playing on my train ride home I realised my mistake as the game handles very well.

The key with this game is trial and error. While some people may hate the idea of replaying a level over and over until a solution is found, it actually works really well thanks to how quick a level can be completed. You won’t mind being frustrated by a simple puzzle that has you racking your brain for hundreds of attempts.

The game originally offered fifty levels but having bought it fairly late after its release another hundred are available to play through too which is an added bonus. Each offer different patterns and challenges which will likely last you a fair while. Whatsmore a neat feature added is the option to tackle a level with unlimited balloons. While it takes away any real point or goal, it does offer an easier way of getting to all the levels for those who find the main mode too tough.

At only 59 pence, whether or not this was actually any good I wasn’t exactly going to feel ripped off. Luckily though I had a lot of fun playing this. While I can’t see myself playing it for hours at a time, it is ideal for those quick ten minute sessions whether your riding a train, waiting for a bus or just killing some time during adverts on TV.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.