GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Student Rooms - Who gets what"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/02/10 at 20:11
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Okay, heres the thing, next year me and 3 others of my current flatmates are moving into a house next year; only trouble is we cant decide how to decide who gets what rooms.

4 Rooms
A) Double bed, ok size
B) Single, big ish (i want!)
C) single, smaller then B (dont mind if push comes to shove)
D) Same size as C but at back of house so a bit more 'dingy'

Anyone got any ideas on how to decide as otherwise it could just end up drawing straws and that's no fun; was going to have some form of drinking contest but there's 2 girls and 2 guys so the girls grumbled because they said it would be unfair to them
Fri 19/02/10 at 22:52
Regular
"eat toast!"
I think the idea of responsibility is a good one. Everyone pays equal amount for bills, but household chores is key. If someone does more then their fair share of looking after the place (vaccuming, washing etc) then they get a big room as they're putting more effort in maintaining it.

If someone is a good cook and doesn't mind washing the dishes (assuming your friends are properly house trained and don't simply buy paper plates and plastic forks or resort to using pieces of paper as plates and rulers as chopsticks) then maybe they should have some additional perks.

But it depends on your friends. How properly house trained are they? Can they be bothered to wash plates? can they do the laundry, do they live like animals not clearing up after themselves etc?
Fri 19/02/10 at 18:54
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Go into the room and lick everything first, that way no one will want it.....

(Well if sensical answers fail :D )
Fri 19/02/10 at 18:43
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Warhunt wrote:
> I say go with Butch here. He has a masterful knack of talking
> sense most of the time. You can't really go wrong with his
> opinion.
>
> You want a better room than me? Well you have to pay slightly
> more.
>
> My ex did more or less the exact same thing. But they worked out
> distances to toilet/kitchen and all sorts :D

Problem with that is that no-one really minds paying slightly more; but i like the barricade inside room idea (although then i might come back one day and find all my stuff in the hall).
Fri 19/02/10 at 13:30
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I say go with Butch here. He has a masterful knack of talking sense most of the time. You can't really go wrong with his opinion.

You want a better room than me? Well you have to pay slightly more.

My ex did more or less the exact same thing. But they worked out distances to toilet/kitchen and all sorts :D
Thu 18/02/10 at 08:31
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
spoonbeast wrote:
> I say screw them and take the room you want. Let them kill each
> other.

With that in mind, grab the room and barricade the door for a few hours. They'll soon want a room to settle in and that eliminates one of them, giving you time to unpack and claim it as your own.
Thu 18/02/10 at 08:31
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
*This post assumes one of the four of you are doing a proper course and not one of the Mickey Mouse variety*

Work out splitting the rent based on who gets the largest room (I worked it out for my mate based on the size of each room and worked out a far percentage accordingly), obviously the person with room A will pay the most, while D will pay the least. This way the person who gets D should have more money for Snakebite & Black, or whatever students drink these days.

Those who are worried about money for next year can then help themselves and take the small room.

If you can't come to a decision amicably it'll be down to 'luck of the draw' I'm afraid.
Wed 17/02/10 at 22:27
Regular
"eat toast!"
I say screw them and take the room you want. Let them kill each other.

That or you see what your friends are like and democratically agree with it.

If that doesn't work, you might as well draw lots and decide that way. It also depends on needs as well.
Wed 17/02/10 at 21:10
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Challenge the to a round of your General Knowledge Quiz :p

failing that, as freeola never gave the answers to the xmas quiz, get everyone to enter - then rooms get dished out based on scores :)

Failing that, arm wrestling...the if the girls moan, just tell them that if they aren't happy with the way its going to be settled, they aren't going to be happy with whateer room they get, hence why waste the good ones on them :p
Wed 17/02/10 at 20:11
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Okay, heres the thing, next year me and 3 others of my current flatmates are moving into a house next year; only trouble is we cant decide how to decide who gets what rooms.

4 Rooms
A) Double bed, ok size
B) Single, big ish (i want!)
C) single, smaller then B (dont mind if push comes to shove)
D) Same size as C but at back of house so a bit more 'dingy'

Anyone got any ideas on how to decide as otherwise it could just end up drawing straws and that's no fun; was going to have some form of drinking contest but there's 2 girls and 2 guys so the girls grumbled because they said it would be unfair to them

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.