GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Alert 2 Online Problems"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2'.
Sat 17/01/04 at 14:57
"Uzi Lover"
Just posting here to see if any of you know how to fix this, or maybe have had the same problem before.

Use to play Red Alert 2 online all the time with a modem, I've recently got it back out again to play using my broadband connection. However, the PC's in my house are connected via a router for shared internet connection. The router also contains a firewall (god damn that firewall).

So yesterday i go to play online against a friend, he gets on fine and then theres me sitting, waiting as it trys to connect to Westwood Online. The screen is freezing, the music is going choppy like the disc is messed up and then it ruins my whole PC. Because when I finally get off the game the PC still freezes and/or Internet pages won't load up unless I restart my PC.

So I've looked online about how to sort out this problem and it appears that Red Alert 2 does have problems with routers using firewalls. At first I tried opening some ports on the firewall, but this did not work. I then looked online some more and found that a patch had been bought out for the game with one of its main features being connecting to RA2 using a firewall router will not be a hassle anymore, it'll do it all auto.

So I get that patch and still no luck, I even took off all the port I opened up for the game and still it refuses. Strange thing is that my router is listed as the top router which is usppose to work fine with the new patch.

So the only soultion I have now is to disconnect all other PC's from the network and just plug mine into the cable modem, eliminating the router and firewall. This, however, will cause alot of hassle in my house, the other PC's are always being used, so I am seeking help on this beause of that. And because it really did start to annoy me after many times of trying.

Thanks in advance.
Sat 17/01/04 at 17:20
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> So now I have no idea, at all. And think I may have to settle with
> using my old account name and not being able to quit a game properly.

Have Westwood got an official forum-y thing you could ask in? They'll have more idea than us lot. Or, rephrased, they should have more idea than us lot.
Sat 17/01/04 at 16:47
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Westwood online is total guffness. Westwood dont even bother releasing patches for their older games anymore, resulting in mucho cheato.
Sat 17/01/04 at 16:19
"Uzi Lover"
Ok, I just tried connecting without the router and firewall and to my surprise the same thing happened.

So, it ISN'T the firewall! Arghhhh

I tried to set up a new account using the Soviet disc instead of the Allied disc and by using a different way of creating it and still it could not connect to Westwood Online and done the stalling thing. I figured it could of been the CD, but no.

So now I have no idea, at all. And think I may have to settle with using my old account name and not being able to quit a game properly.
Sat 17/01/04 at 15:52
"Uzi Lover"
Yes, I was going to try that soon.

My router is a Linksys BEFSR41.

I made a little bit of a breakthrough, however. I was looking online about the patch and I read that it auto updates the firewall thing when you connect to Westwood online in the game, and thats what mine wasn't doing when going for a new account.

So what I did was go on the game, I then tried to log in with an account I use to have thinking it won't be any good still, but suprisingly I got through. I then joined a game hoping that somewhere along the line it would 'auto update' like it said. I then was in the game and exited realising it must of done it by now. And when I quit the game it done the freezing thing again. It always happens when a dialog box comes up saying 'fetching server list' or 'requesting nickname' or something.

I then tried going to get a new account again but it done the usual.

But I can get on, and into a game. However, I can't exit it without everything going wrong. Stupid.
Sat 17/01/04 at 15:36
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The only thing that springs to mind immediately is that you didn't open the ports properly, or you forwarded them to the wrong PC or something like that.

I suppose one thing to make sure of is that it is really the router causing problems, and to do that you'd have to try to play using your modem instead.

Of course if that works fine then we'll know for sure that it is the router, but it's possible that the game may need reinstalling for some reason.

By the way; what router are you using?
Sat 17/01/04 at 14:57
"Uzi Lover"
Just posting here to see if any of you know how to fix this, or maybe have had the same problem before.

Use to play Red Alert 2 online all the time with a modem, I've recently got it back out again to play using my broadband connection. However, the PC's in my house are connected via a router for shared internet connection. The router also contains a firewall (god damn that firewall).

So yesterday i go to play online against a friend, he gets on fine and then theres me sitting, waiting as it trys to connect to Westwood Online. The screen is freezing, the music is going choppy like the disc is messed up and then it ruins my whole PC. Because when I finally get off the game the PC still freezes and/or Internet pages won't load up unless I restart my PC.

So I've looked online about how to sort out this problem and it appears that Red Alert 2 does have problems with routers using firewalls. At first I tried opening some ports on the firewall, but this did not work. I then looked online some more and found that a patch had been bought out for the game with one of its main features being connecting to RA2 using a firewall router will not be a hassle anymore, it'll do it all auto.

So I get that patch and still no luck, I even took off all the port I opened up for the game and still it refuses. Strange thing is that my router is listed as the top router which is usppose to work fine with the new patch.

So the only soultion I have now is to disconnect all other PC's from the network and just plug mine into the cable modem, eliminating the router and firewall. This, however, will cause alot of hassle in my house, the other PC's are always being used, so I am seeking help on this beause of that. And because it really did start to annoy me after many times of trying.

Thanks in advance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.