GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FOG Chat - Does it need a direction?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/01 at 22:34
Regular
Is this free flowing wildly gesteculating forum that is the chat a bad thing?

Do we need to keep a tighter reign on the content of the posts in this forum?

Well, I think not, it's nice to have a place where you can talk about anything, but it started with games and it's quite funny to think that it's been strangly mutated since it's original birth and siamese-like seperation from the original FOG forum all that time ago.

There are some real characters around on this forum and it gives new guys (and gals) a chance to cut their teeth on the posting lark before moving on to the big topics of the Prime forum.

Is this post going anywhere? No, not really, just thought I'd mention this!
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:34
"possibly impossible"
Is this free flowing wildly gesteculating forum that is the chat a bad thing?

Do we need to keep a tighter reign on the content of the posts in this forum?

Well, I think not, it's nice to have a place where you can talk about anything, but it started with games and it's quite funny to think that it's been strangly mutated since it's original birth and siamese-like seperation from the original FOG forum all that time ago.

There are some real characters around on this forum and it gives new guys (and gals) a chance to cut their teeth on the posting lark before moving on to the big topics of the Prime forum.

Is this post going anywhere? No, not really, just thought I'd mention this!
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
hmmmmm... well, I think we should change the formum name. It is no longer about the future of games! Why not have the FOG prime, and have this one called MIST (just because it sounds cool and contrasts with FOG), and have it as a general thing.

NiGHTS!
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:40
"possibly impossible"
MIST....MIST....now where have I heard that before...?!
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:42
Regular
I joined the forum about 80 days ago, and even though I am not a full time regular, I have noticed a lot of changes made to the forums.
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:47
Regular
I agree pb I concentrate my efforts on Prime and I am there alot!!! but if I want to talk with my friends or campaign with the elctions then I will go to chat!
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:49
Regular
MIST was a midnight forum I think.

I think that Night's idea would work well.

This forum was created to filter the chat out of FOG.

I think that a name change would be good as this forum has little to do with the Future of Gaming.

FOG and MIST is better than FOG PRIME and FOG CHAT.
Sat 18/08/01 at 14:32
"possibly impossible"
It seems that the only problem with this forum at the moment is the amount of Spamming that goes on. The thing is that there is SPAM and then there are 'pointless' posts which aren't SPAM but could be mistaken for it.

Take the WLT and the SPAM topic on here. Many people just posted in that one topic for fun, that's fine, but recently there have been a lot of posts in new or other people's topics full of rubbish such as one letter answers.

Why do I worry about SPAM posts in old topics that aren't on this page anymore and new topics just for that purpose?

1) The forum is hard to look for posts in already, but with old posts coming back with a load of crap in them and new topics just for SPAM, it makes it virtually impossible to look for stuff.

2) Occasionally someone will want to come on the forums and look through all the old topics, just to get a feel for the place. Or someone will want to find an old topic for reference or to remember something they wrote a while ago.

So that's my concerns. I know there are children who use and post on this site, and teenagers too. Most of these are sensible, but a few like to wind everyone up, either deliberately or otherwise. If these people could confine their activities to one topic only, then it wouldn't be so bad and no-one would mind. I'm sure one of the staff members will have something to say about it all on Monday, but these are my feelings on the matter.

Sorry if you've fallen asleep during this post!
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:58
norht-east is my suggestion.
Sat 18/08/01 at 18:11
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
People seem to think that just because this forum has the word “chat” in it, they can talk about anything and everything. We are meant to be talking about the Future Of Gaming, not a load of rubbish. This forum was designed for short posts aimed towards gaming. This forum has been taken over by “vote me!”, “TSQ members only”, “spam here and mess up the forums!”, “Tony!! Read this!!” and many more non-gaming topics.

There have been many changes on SR in the last few months, some for the good, some for the bad. I may be the only person on these forums that think this but I will say it non-the less. The idea of having a “newbie”, “regular”, and “notable” was the worst thing this site has seen. What was we expecting it to do though? Improve the quality of the forums, help put a stop to useless topics, make people increase their quality of posts? No, I don’t think it was. I knew it was going to be trouble from day one. People would post rubbish just to get their post and word count up.

It has started wars, arguments, loosing great members, useless topics, and hatred between newbies, regulars and notables.

Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Some people are saying “the forums will never fall apart”, well all I have to say is, it has done!

I am prepared to get shot down for saying these things that I have said but I think it’s about time someone said it!
Sat 18/08/01 at 18:15
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
I dont come on here regulary but when I do i find lots of useless stuff. but the good thing is that there are lots of dif. forums to choose from. so there is always a topic i can write in.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.