GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Gameboy advance is Great or Just a Fad*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/01 at 16:06
Regular
Gameboy Advance what is it Great or Just a Fad.

Well Lets first look at The Gameboy System its Self.

The Gameboy Advance will cost you £79.99 - £89.99 depends if you want to shop around. I bought mine from eb with Mario and a Few extras. THIS IS AS I DID NOT KNOW HOW GOOD SPECIAL RESERVE IS!!! The games them selves cost £30-35 pounds.

The size of the system is really good and fits neatly in your hands. The size is:

Size (mm)
82mm(L) x 144.5(W) x 24.5mm (D)
Size (mm)

This is just a tiny bit bigger than your old Gameboy Coulor. It is much smaller than the Game Gear as the Gamboy Advance’s critics have said it is going to be like the Game Gear.

Graphics
WOW! The graphics on this little machine are really good for its size and cost. The power comes from a 32-Bit ARM with embedded memory CPU. Which is fairly good considering its size. The graphics engine can reach Mode 7 graphics, the Playstation games are mode 10 so Gameboy Advnce is not to far away. The Gameboy Colour has a 8-bit Z80 CPU.

Screen
The screen its self has only 2 problems. Number 1, The screen is really dark and the light has to be in the right places otherwise some of the games will be really hard to see and play. Problem 2 The Gambeoy Advance screen is really easy to scratch so Nintendo should really introduce some replaceable screens. But any way that’s enough of the bad lets talk about the good.

The screen is 2.9" TFT reflective screen which is bigger than the previous version. The screen displays some excellent colours and can show 511 colours at one time. There are 32,768 possible colors and all these can be shown in the Bitmap mode. The screen resolution is 240x160 which is just like when I play Red Alert 2 on my old Computer.

Sound
The sound on this machine is excellent. There are even vocals in games. Like in Mario and Konami Krazy Racers. The sound goes really loud and is clear.

Other-Bits of interest.
The Gameboy Advance runs on 2 AA batteries which supposedly last for 20 hours the last about 15 on my count. The games are all in cartridge mode as well.

Now the best Bit the GAMES!!!
There were 12 original launch titles with Tony Hawk 2 and Mario Advance in there. So far I have bought 5 games for my Gameboy Advance these are Tony Hawk 2, Mario Advance, GT Championship, Konami Krazy Racers and Bomberman Tournament.

*Tony Hawk 2*

Although the game has Been shrunk down a lot! The game is still pretty like the PSX and DC version apart from the visual awe of flying high. The sound is not as good as the PSX version but the music is still extremely good. Here are some of the features of the game.

6 Levels:
There are 6 levels which are all visually stunning. There Hanger, School, Marseilles, Warehouse, New York, Skate Street. The here is another one but it will takes ages to get. You have to complete the game 100% with all the characters. The are plenty of Half-pipes and Quarter-pipes to make you happy for weeks.

Cash:
To buy better stats and new boards and tricks you have to earn money by completing tasks. There are plenty of objectives to keep you having money. Be it from winning competions to doing a nosegrind over a pipe.

Collectible Items:
On some of the levels there are Collectible Items this could be letters to collect the word S-K-A-T-E or spray cans. There is also spare cash floating about some where. These however can be tricky to get as it is a pain lining up you character.

Characters:
There are 13 Characters all in all each one has its own characteristics. Tony Hawk is one of the best people to get Air has he is a Vert Skater while Kareem Cambell is a much better at grinds because he is a street skater. Tony Hawk is the only skater to do the 900 while Kareem Cambell is the only who can do Ghetto Bird. Unless you modify there tricks.

The graphics are really good as they are 3D the view is Top Down and you see the pure power of the GBA. The sound is also cool and you often hear the bones crush as you crash you skater.

*Konami Krazy Racers*

I have to open on this line Konami Krazy Racers is a Mario Kart clone, but how ever an extremly good Mario Kart clone indeed. Mario has dominated the Go-Karting scene for years now and Konami Krazy Racers has finally broken it as no one else has tried to take on Nintendo. The game itself plays just the same has a Mario Kart game but with the Characters from Konami games. The ones you would most know are the Ninga from Metal gear solid and the Dracula from Castlevania. Wow I hear you all say.

Characters.
There are 4 weight Divisions each one with there own characteristics. There are 12 characters in all and there are 4 hidden ones this means there are 16 characters. I have opened up 3 of the hidden characters.

The graphics and sound in this game are superb. They are almost as good as Playstation. There is also a song when you turn on the game and you get a song with lyrics. Which go Wai-Wai-Wai racing which was its Japanese launch title name.

So tell me what you think.

I feel it’s a top game system and every one should get one. Its still in early games so it should be amazing in a few years. Just think of it look at Playstation games now and how they used to look and see the improvement. If you are to buy one of these machines the expect to keep it for a few years.

*Unless like me where mine is missing. So Have you seen it its like the description above.*
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:06
Gameboy Advance what is it Great or Just a Fad.

Well Lets first look at The Gameboy System its Self.

The Gameboy Advance will cost you £79.99 - £89.99 depends if you want to shop around. I bought mine from eb with Mario and a Few extras. THIS IS AS I DID NOT KNOW HOW GOOD SPECIAL RESERVE IS!!! The games them selves cost £30-35 pounds.

The size of the system is really good and fits neatly in your hands. The size is:

Size (mm)
82mm(L) x 144.5(W) x 24.5mm (D)
Size (mm)

This is just a tiny bit bigger than your old Gameboy Coulor. It is much smaller than the Game Gear as the Gamboy Advance’s critics have said it is going to be like the Game Gear.

Graphics
WOW! The graphics on this little machine are really good for its size and cost. The power comes from a 32-Bit ARM with embedded memory CPU. Which is fairly good considering its size. The graphics engine can reach Mode 7 graphics, the Playstation games are mode 10 so Gameboy Advnce is not to far away. The Gameboy Colour has a 8-bit Z80 CPU.

Screen
The screen its self has only 2 problems. Number 1, The screen is really dark and the light has to be in the right places otherwise some of the games will be really hard to see and play. Problem 2 The Gambeoy Advance screen is really easy to scratch so Nintendo should really introduce some replaceable screens. But any way that’s enough of the bad lets talk about the good.

The screen is 2.9" TFT reflective screen which is bigger than the previous version. The screen displays some excellent colours and can show 511 colours at one time. There are 32,768 possible colors and all these can be shown in the Bitmap mode. The screen resolution is 240x160 which is just like when I play Red Alert 2 on my old Computer.

Sound
The sound on this machine is excellent. There are even vocals in games. Like in Mario and Konami Krazy Racers. The sound goes really loud and is clear.

Other-Bits of interest.
The Gameboy Advance runs on 2 AA batteries which supposedly last for 20 hours the last about 15 on my count. The games are all in cartridge mode as well.

Now the best Bit the GAMES!!!
There were 12 original launch titles with Tony Hawk 2 and Mario Advance in there. So far I have bought 5 games for my Gameboy Advance these are Tony Hawk 2, Mario Advance, GT Championship, Konami Krazy Racers and Bomberman Tournament.

*Tony Hawk 2*

Although the game has Been shrunk down a lot! The game is still pretty like the PSX and DC version apart from the visual awe of flying high. The sound is not as good as the PSX version but the music is still extremely good. Here are some of the features of the game.

6 Levels:
There are 6 levels which are all visually stunning. There Hanger, School, Marseilles, Warehouse, New York, Skate Street. The here is another one but it will takes ages to get. You have to complete the game 100% with all the characters. The are plenty of Half-pipes and Quarter-pipes to make you happy for weeks.

Cash:
To buy better stats and new boards and tricks you have to earn money by completing tasks. There are plenty of objectives to keep you having money. Be it from winning competions to doing a nosegrind over a pipe.

Collectible Items:
On some of the levels there are Collectible Items this could be letters to collect the word S-K-A-T-E or spray cans. There is also spare cash floating about some where. These however can be tricky to get as it is a pain lining up you character.

Characters:
There are 13 Characters all in all each one has its own characteristics. Tony Hawk is one of the best people to get Air has he is a Vert Skater while Kareem Cambell is a much better at grinds because he is a street skater. Tony Hawk is the only skater to do the 900 while Kareem Cambell is the only who can do Ghetto Bird. Unless you modify there tricks.

The graphics are really good as they are 3D the view is Top Down and you see the pure power of the GBA. The sound is also cool and you often hear the bones crush as you crash you skater.

*Konami Krazy Racers*

I have to open on this line Konami Krazy Racers is a Mario Kart clone, but how ever an extremly good Mario Kart clone indeed. Mario has dominated the Go-Karting scene for years now and Konami Krazy Racers has finally broken it as no one else has tried to take on Nintendo. The game itself plays just the same has a Mario Kart game but with the Characters from Konami games. The ones you would most know are the Ninga from Metal gear solid and the Dracula from Castlevania. Wow I hear you all say.

Characters.
There are 4 weight Divisions each one with there own characteristics. There are 12 characters in all and there are 4 hidden ones this means there are 16 characters. I have opened up 3 of the hidden characters.

The graphics and sound in this game are superb. They are almost as good as Playstation. There is also a song when you turn on the game and you get a song with lyrics. Which go Wai-Wai-Wai racing which was its Japanese launch title name.

So tell me what you think.

I feel it’s a top game system and every one should get one. Its still in early games so it should be amazing in a few years. Just think of it look at Playstation games now and how they used to look and see the improvement. If you are to buy one of these machines the expect to keep it for a few years.

*Unless like me where mine is missing. So Have you seen it its like the description above.*
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Fad.

It's a candle in the wind, it'll last about as long as those little alien antennae you could buy and stick on your head. What ever happened to THEM?!?!?!?
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:11
Regular
you should of saved your money that you spent on konami krazy racers and pre-ordered Mario Kart: Super Circuit. i pre ordered today. my birthday pressy (aug 19th)
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I saved £90 buy not buying one and had a great night out with my mates down the pub on Saturday last week.

I'm not buying a GBA this week and doing the same again.
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:27
Hmmm...No one likes these then....

Hey if i win Gameaday.co.uk i bet you can guess what GBA game i will be pre-odering. Yep Mario Kart. Looks great.

Chris:)
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:33
I dont know what happend to Them Head things....Im sure i can dig some up out of a cup-board or some where intresting.

Sat 18/08/01 at 18:27
Come on guys tell em what you think.

This took me ages plz tell me what you think.

Sat 18/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I agree with you, the GBA is great. I do not own one and I am not planning to buy one but as my mate has it I can play his. KKR and TH2 are superb launch games( I have played both) and Mario Circuit looks cool too. You are right about the screen, much too dark.
Sun 19/08/01 at 09:51
THE GBA IS ABSOLUTLY GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though I only have one game,GT Championship,I am
interested in the gba's skill to capture the real quality of
the game,and now that the message was posted,somebody came
and heard my pray.
I feel that the only thing wrong with the gba is that the screen is too dark!!!....but there is hope,as I know how to
make the gba's screen become brighter!!!!!!!!
Its as easy as apple pie!
On the back of the gba,there is a rectangle with a word of letters and numbers in it.Under neath the second letter or number,there is a small screw.Turn it with a small screwdriver and your screen will be brighter!
Tell your friends,and thank me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mon 20/08/01 at 12:14
I would just like to say that i foind my Gameboy Advance

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.