GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are we who we are?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/01 at 14:20
Regular
A thought occurred to me the other day.

Turbonutter wrote:
> A thought occurred to me the other day.

Ha ha! Was it painful? Do you want to sit down?

Right, now we’ve got all those stupid thought jokes out of the way, I’ll start again:

A thought occurred to me the other day. Are we different people on the Internet? Well in my case, the answer is yes. On the Internet, especially here, we say and do things that we wouldn’t dream of doing elsewhere. It’s hard to explain why but in general I think we’re more outgoing. The Net is the ultimate in racial equality. There are no faces, no colours, no ages (to an extent) and no physical conditions. In reality someone might be 6 feet tall and rippling with muscles but on the Net you could give him a metaphorical whack on the noggin and get away with all your teeth. The Net has no limits and no prejudice, because at the end of the day you can just log off and walk away. You can’t walk away from life.

It’s the same in games. We do suicidal things because we have no fear. You can always turn it off and start again. If you die in Unreal, you respawn, if you crash in GT3, you bounce back. You have a different character in games because you are different people, either a futuristic gladiator with an inability to die, or a souped-up cabbie with green hair. The game gives you a persona and you take it on.

So, how many other people think they are different on the Internet?

No?

No one?

Argh, sod it. Need coffee…
Fri 17/08/01 at 14:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
A thought occurred to me the other day.

Turbonutter wrote:
> A thought occurred to me the other day.

Ha ha! Was it painful? Do you want to sit down?

Right, now we’ve got all those stupid thought jokes out of the way, I’ll start again:

A thought occurred to me the other day. Are we different people on the Internet? Well in my case, the answer is yes. On the Internet, especially here, we say and do things that we wouldn’t dream of doing elsewhere. It’s hard to explain why but in general I think we’re more outgoing. The Net is the ultimate in racial equality. There are no faces, no colours, no ages (to an extent) and no physical conditions. In reality someone might be 6 feet tall and rippling with muscles but on the Net you could give him a metaphorical whack on the noggin and get away with all your teeth. The Net has no limits and no prejudice, because at the end of the day you can just log off and walk away. You can’t walk away from life.

It’s the same in games. We do suicidal things because we have no fear. You can always turn it off and start again. If you die in Unreal, you respawn, if you crash in GT3, you bounce back. You have a different character in games because you are different people, either a futuristic gladiator with an inability to die, or a souped-up cabbie with green hair. The game gives you a persona and you take it on.

So, how many other people think they are different on the Internet?

No?

No one?

Argh, sod it. Need coffee…
Fri 17/08/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nope, I'm the same charming, intelligent devil outside as I am in here.

Except I don't have a language filter.
Or punctuation.
Fri 17/08/01 at 14:45
"possibly impossible"
Are we who we are? No, all your base are belong to us.
Fri 17/08/01 at 14:53
Regular
"<];o)"
Anyone who knows me off of this site will know I am not at all like the twank I am on here. On the internet I am much more outgoing and I tend to start many a fight that I normally wouldn't bother getting into with the fear of getting whooped.

In games i am very suicidal though, no fear.

(;o|
Regular
"<];o)"
Anyone who knows me off of this site will know I am not at all like the twank I am on here. On the internet I am much more outgoing and I tend to start many a fight that I normally wouldn't bother getting into with the fear of getting whooped.

In games i am very suicidal though, no fear. Kamikazeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(;o|
Regular
"<];o)"
Whoops, stupid thing.

(;o|
Fri 17/08/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm the same in real life as I am on the net except I prefer Arial as my font.

In RL I still hate Nintendo games in general, have an aversion to nintys as a whole, and say lots of silly things from time to time just to keep things interesting.

But basically what you see here is what you get.
Fri 17/08/01 at 15:26
Regular
I'm the same in real life as I am on here.

I'm always right whether on here on in a "proper" argument.

:-)
Fri 17/08/01 at 15:28
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I talk more in real life. I don't mean that as a joke as in "I type here but talk in real life", I mean I get involved in discussions more. Here I just mostly sit back and read what others have to say - I only join in if I *really* feel the need to ... like now.
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I don't know

I just act the same so I guess that means yes I am the same

Ho Humm

Although I don't say cheese as much, I think.

LOL @ Goaty's post

ARGH PHONE

Hate phones :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.