GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Garbage Pail Kids"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/07 at 01:42
Regular
I'm probably the only (last time I do this, promise) person who remembers these (and collected). This was a long time ago, before Pokemon, before Tamagotchis, even pre-dating Pogs. It was during my early years of Primary school. It's just like the Disney cartoon Recess, every week their would be a new craze in the playground. One of these crazes, was Garbage Pail Kids.

They were trading cards, gross ones, we would go to the sweet shops daily and buy packs of them. I think they came with bubble gum, everything did in those days. We didn't play games with them like you kids do with your Yu-Gi-Oh cards, we just collected them. That's right, we bought all these cards and all we could do was look at them and trade the ones we already had for the ones we didn't. Everyone collected them, even the girls, of course our parents werent too keen on them, neither were the teachers but we loved them.

Looking back at some of the cards I collected, they really were gross, heh, I don't suppose parents and teachers would like them if they were popular in the playground again. They're still releasing new ones, but I can't really see it being popular again after 20 years. Ah well, I enjoyed them while they lasted, it probably wasn't long until we found a new craze anyway.

Oh I remember one kid in our school had his whole collection ripped up by a teacher, his mum wasn't very happy and made the teacher pay for them all.

----

Other crazes? Umm well I mentioned Pog but our school wasn't really into that. We were big on Tazos though, we collected them out of Walkers packets. So all the kids got their parents to buy them Walkers crisps so they could complete their collection. I had quite a few actually, I ended up selling them on eBay for a fiver many years later.

Top Trumps, ah now that's a real card game if you ask me. Tanks, planes, battle ships, cars, *drools* hours of fun. Simpsons Top Trumps? :S It's just not the same :( Do they do any military ones anymore?
Tue 13/02/07 at 16:22
Regular
"8==="
Yep, they had names like "Stu the spew", great stuff. :)
Tue 13/02/07 at 00:18
Regular
"Mooching around"
They made a film, it's one of the worst rated films ever as I remember lol.
Thu 08/02/07 at 16:16
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I remember them as something everyone else had and i couldn't be bothered with.
Oh, apart from the Monsters in my Pocket trump cards that came with little rubber figures. I loved them.
Thu 08/02/07 at 16:14
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Yes, I remember them.

No, I didn't collect them.

But, I had loads of Top Trumps packs.
Thu 08/02/07 at 15:13
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I remember Cabbage patch dolls and Top Trumps cards (mine were cars) but don't remember garbage pail kids. Must have been after my time... :)
Thu 08/02/07 at 10:01
Regular
It's all about the LOTR top trumps.
Thu 08/02/07 at 09:23
Regular
Garbage Pail Kids? That takes me back...
Thu 08/02/07 at 09:17
"possibly impossible"
Yep, remember Garbage Pail Kids, a parody of Cabbage Patch Kids, obviously.
Thu 08/02/07 at 01:42
Regular
I'm probably the only (last time I do this, promise) person who remembers these (and collected). This was a long time ago, before Pokemon, before Tamagotchis, even pre-dating Pogs. It was during my early years of Primary school. It's just like the Disney cartoon Recess, every week their would be a new craze in the playground. One of these crazes, was Garbage Pail Kids.

They were trading cards, gross ones, we would go to the sweet shops daily and buy packs of them. I think they came with bubble gum, everything did in those days. We didn't play games with them like you kids do with your Yu-Gi-Oh cards, we just collected them. That's right, we bought all these cards and all we could do was look at them and trade the ones we already had for the ones we didn't. Everyone collected them, even the girls, of course our parents werent too keen on them, neither were the teachers but we loved them.

Looking back at some of the cards I collected, they really were gross, heh, I don't suppose parents and teachers would like them if they were popular in the playground again. They're still releasing new ones, but I can't really see it being popular again after 20 years. Ah well, I enjoyed them while they lasted, it probably wasn't long until we found a new craze anyway.

Oh I remember one kid in our school had his whole collection ripped up by a teacher, his mum wasn't very happy and made the teacher pay for them all.

----

Other crazes? Umm well I mentioned Pog but our school wasn't really into that. We were big on Tazos though, we collected them out of Walkers packets. So all the kids got their parents to buy them Walkers crisps so they could complete their collection. I had quite a few actually, I ended up selling them on eBay for a fiver many years later.

Top Trumps, ah now that's a real card game if you ask me. Tanks, planes, battle ships, cars, *drools* hours of fun. Simpsons Top Trumps? :S It's just not the same :( Do they do any military ones anymore?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.