GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft - an irony"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/01/04 at 13:31
"possibly impossible"
A friend at work just phoned Microsoft to get his Xbox repaired (sounds like the DVD drive has gone) and they've had to phone him back because they have...wait for it...software problems!

Great.
Thu 22/04/04 at 20:57
Regular
"virturalchatcity.tk"
Thanks for agree in with me this is the same then it has to be
Thu 22/04/04 at 09:04
Regular
"and PC user"
Obviously if a company wants to continue to keep making that extra money from replacing broken parts that are out of gurantee, they need to keep making the machines fault in the first place. PS2 faailures have been sorted, but not so sure about XBox. What does this tell us about Sony and Microsoft? Sony may have had problems propers with their drives that are now fixed, or worse case, they were fitting drives they knew would fail, but stopped doing it after a short time. Microsoft have and are still producing equipment they know is likely to fail just out of gurantee. If I were going to buy an X-Box now, I might be very tempted to take out one of those extended gurantess from the shop (or is Xbox not covered by them???). In anycase, of the 2, I think we can trust Sony more than we can trust Microsoft.
Wed 21/04/04 at 19:54
Regular
"virturalchatcity.tk"
Its all ways of them making money because sony did this on the playstation 2, when the warrenty ran out on my PS2, the disc drive broke, then i was watching tv one day and watchdog was on and they were talking about this happening and they said every PS2 seem to be breaking after the warrenty ran out what a convience just so you can't get your money back. But now its all sorted out with sony PS2, so maybe Xbox are trying the scam.
Wed 21/04/04 at 15:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I have a fecked Thomson.

PGR2 and SC:PT, both new games, crash every now and then.

Utter retardedness.
Wed 21/04/04 at 01:03
"I love yo... lamp."
Samsung drives have always been sound. Newer Xboxes with Phillips or Thompson drives are better than the original ones.
Tue 20/04/04 at 21:59
Regular
"and PC user"
I know Xbox had problems with its dvd drives early on, but is this still true of new machines?
Mon 02/02/04 at 12:35
Regular
Tell him to just get the DVD Drive off them. They are really easy to fit and require no system modifications.

Be aware that you cannot fit a standard drive into an Xbox though, their power connectors are different. And don't disconnect the IDE cable from the Hard Drive fo it'll unlock (the power cable is safe to remove).

If MS won't give him the Drive by itself, he may as well just get a second hand Xbox, or buy the Samsung drive off ebay and go from there.
Mon 02/02/04 at 12:23
"possibly impossible"
...and he's now found out his Xbox is way out of warranty, so they would charge him £70 for the repair (a £30 DVD drive that virtually anyone can put in to the Xbox).

I've said I'd do it or he can spend the £70 on another second hand machine instead.
Fri 30/01/04 at 11:42
Regular
"8==="
Irony? Erm.. they're not 'Micro' or 'Soft'?
Fri 30/01/04 at 11:40
Regular
"8==="
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> The bigger Microsoft irony is that everybody moans about them, yet
> most wouldn't dream of using any other software.

If I could go back and make Acorn rule the world I would.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.