GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it really worth it....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 13:34
Regular
To be rich and famous. To have thousands upon thousands of screaming fans, calling out your name when you appear for you film preview or to promote your new album. To have people who like you so much that they would queue for hours just so you could write your name on a picture of yourself. To have more money that you can spend, living in a huge mansion and without a care in the world.....of course this is the part you see. We need more than money, admiration and fame.

Famous people are all smiles in the view of the public but they are under alot of pressure and recently there have been a few stars who have been pushed or have pushed themselves to hard.

Mariah Carey has been the most recent victim of her own fame. She is one of the most successful woman solo singers with more than a dozen No. 1 singles. She tried to kill herself last month by slitting her wrists after a nervous breakdown. She was then submitted to a hospital where she was under psychiatric care since July 25, this was before she posted a number of postings on her web site, one saying
"What I'd like to do is take a little break, or at least get one night of sleep,"
She finally checked out of the hospital on the 8th of August. Mariah is still suffering from depression, which is attributed to her working to hard and not taking any time off. I use to be a big Mariah Carey fan, but even though i'm not now i do hope she does get better soon.

Eminem hasn't had it easy either. He's had a lot of trouble with his mother and also with his wife Kim. People think he's one of these big headed, full of themselves rappers who says just to upset people, but if you do catch him while somebody is doing a serious interview (MTV Base) then he does explain how crappy his life was before he was famous and that when he started to get paid for gigs he use to save every last penny just in case it didn't last.

There are also a number of people who have been submitted to clinics for a number of reason over the past few years. A lot of famous people also got under the public eye when a proverbial skeleton falls out of the closet. Their lives can be ruined over such little things, even if they are not true or are proven in court to not true by the press, who just want something to print on the front covers, and the public in general who readily believe what ever is told to them by the media.

The question is, is it really worth it? To be loved one mintue, then hated the next. I know nearly everybody would like to be famous. If somebody offered me a part in a film i would take it, if somebody offered me loads of money i would take it. Money is only a short solution to our problems and it can't buy us happiness and number of other things.

I think a big problem is that the public and the press don't see that these stars are still people, like you and me, who need their own breathing space now and again. They have feeling and aren't just there to amuse and entertain us.

Next time you hear a story about a famous person stop and think. Think about what how they will be affected by the story and what it is doing to their lives. Think about how you would feel if somebody was saying those things about you and try not to jump on the band wagon screaming for blood.

"You'll never grow up to be a big rock star celebrated victim of your fame"
Marilyn Manson, The Fight Song

Darkreaper
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:34
To be rich and famous. To have thousands upon thousands of screaming fans, calling out your name when you appear for you film preview or to promote your new album. To have people who like you so much that they would queue for hours just so you could write your name on a picture of yourself. To have more money that you can spend, living in a huge mansion and without a care in the world.....of course this is the part you see. We need more than money, admiration and fame.

Famous people are all smiles in the view of the public but they are under alot of pressure and recently there have been a few stars who have been pushed or have pushed themselves to hard.

Mariah Carey has been the most recent victim of her own fame. She is one of the most successful woman solo singers with more than a dozen No. 1 singles. She tried to kill herself last month by slitting her wrists after a nervous breakdown. She was then submitted to a hospital where she was under psychiatric care since July 25, this was before she posted a number of postings on her web site, one saying
"What I'd like to do is take a little break, or at least get one night of sleep,"
She finally checked out of the hospital on the 8th of August. Mariah is still suffering from depression, which is attributed to her working to hard and not taking any time off. I use to be a big Mariah Carey fan, but even though i'm not now i do hope she does get better soon.

Eminem hasn't had it easy either. He's had a lot of trouble with his mother and also with his wife Kim. People think he's one of these big headed, full of themselves rappers who says just to upset people, but if you do catch him while somebody is doing a serious interview (MTV Base) then he does explain how crappy his life was before he was famous and that when he started to get paid for gigs he use to save every last penny just in case it didn't last.

There are also a number of people who have been submitted to clinics for a number of reason over the past few years. A lot of famous people also got under the public eye when a proverbial skeleton falls out of the closet. Their lives can be ruined over such little things, even if they are not true or are proven in court to not true by the press, who just want something to print on the front covers, and the public in general who readily believe what ever is told to them by the media.

The question is, is it really worth it? To be loved one mintue, then hated the next. I know nearly everybody would like to be famous. If somebody offered me a part in a film i would take it, if somebody offered me loads of money i would take it. Money is only a short solution to our problems and it can't buy us happiness and number of other things.

I think a big problem is that the public and the press don't see that these stars are still people, like you and me, who need their own breathing space now and again. They have feeling and aren't just there to amuse and entertain us.

Next time you hear a story about a famous person stop and think. Think about what how they will be affected by the story and what it is doing to their lives. Think about how you would feel if somebody was saying those things about you and try not to jump on the band wagon screaming for blood.

"You'll never grow up to be a big rock star celebrated victim of your fame"
Marilyn Manson, The Fight Song

Darkreaper
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Darkreaper wrote:

"You'll never grow up to be a big rock star
> celebrated victim of your fame"
Marilyn Manson, The Fight
> Song

See, that is one of the most ironic and moronic statements ever made, and Manson made it.
He sung those lyrics on his multi-million selling album, which he promoted on his world tour, doing his crazy Alice Cooper act.
Hypocrite.

There are those that make a big deal of it, and there are those that enjoy it and behave like a normal person.
I'm sick of hearing people whine about "how hard it is to be a star".
However much I dislike Oasis, Noel Gallagher made one of the best comments "I love it. Best job in the world mate, you don't like it, go back to being a carpenter. Never will though. I'd rather be doing this than laying gas pipes again. Fun that"

Thom Yorke. I love Radiohead, but damn it man, you are in one of the world's most celebrated bands.
I would kill to be there, and if you're that unhappy about it?
Stop doing it.
Quit and go work in a supermarket.
But they don't. They moan on and on.

I was reading an interview with Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, Hudsucker Proxy etc), who said "I was giving a talk in a little town and 300 people came to see me. I stayed afterwards and signed each and every autograph, I missed my plane back but I made damn sure those people knew I was grateful for putting me where I am".

I've met some famous people in the most bog normal of places (Iron Maiden's Steve Harris in SR Sawbo).
It comes down to that star's attitude.
Walk about wearing shades and a cap for a disguise and of course people are going to stop and stare.
Act normal, get treated normal.

"It's hard being me" Yeah, go work in a Nursing home where you get paid £5.00 per hour to wipe spittal from people's chins then get back to me on that.
Tue 21/08/01 at 22:35
Just to add to all of that there are stars who avoid the whole celebrity thang. From what I can tell its quite easy to be left alone. Don't go to a venue where there will be a ton of press ready to take your picture and rip into your personal life. Its quite simple really.
Also whilst on my favourite rant - actors, they carry on like they've just done a twelve hour shift down the pit. Acting from what I can understand is not the equivalent to a day at the coalface yet this is the impression a lot of them leave you with.
Celebrity goes with fame, if you don't want it don't court it.
Tue 21/08/01 at 22:59
Regular
Damn right it's worth it!
Fri 24/08/01 at 00:37
Kitty wrote:
> Just to add to all of that there are stars who avoid the whole
> celebrity thang. From what I can tell its quite easy to be left
> alone. Don't go to a venue where there will be a ton of press ready
> to take your picture and rip into your personal life. Its quite
> simple really.

Ok so a star doesn't turn up and on the news it's reported that "that" star didn't turn up. Then if you repeatedly fail to turn up venues and film previews or whatever rumours about this start to spread and so forth.

Anyway, i'm talking about what comes with fame. All of the press looking into your private life. Harassing your family, friends and yourself so they might get that big scoop. Could you put up with that?
Also you would have to put up with the fact that it only takes one person to start a rumour and it snowballs into something big which not only threatens your career but other things as well.

Also about just stopping. Would you really give up a job where you get paid up to £10 - 15 million for doing a single film? Would you just walk away from producing music that you want to produce because you find yourself under a lot of pressure? Would you give it all up and work in a supermarket where some TV station will tract you down and do one of those "What are they doing now?" programs? For some reason i don't think so.

Money and fame come with a "price", is that "price" worth it?

Darkreaper
Fri 24/08/01 at 10:38
Regular
"Acid Casual"
If you sell your soul to the Devil then you have to be prepared for anything that is thrown at you.

As one Liam Gallagher said...

'I'm going to hell me, the Devils got the best stuff...'

I'm with you Liam.
Sun 26/08/01 at 11:19
I think it's worth remembering that while some people are famous through choice, there are others who became famous without seeking so to do, and these people form a special case.

I'm thinking here of relatives of people who kill or are killed, and to an extent certain business people - not self-promoters like Branson, but people like Bill Gates who seems nonplussed by the cult of celebrity around him.
Sun 26/08/01 at 12:13
Darkreaper wrote:
> Kitty wrote:
> Just to add to all of that there are stars who
> avoid the whole
> celebrity thang. From what I can tell its
> quite easy to be left
> alone. Don't go to a venue where there
> will be a ton of press ready
> to take your picture and rip into
> your personal life. Its quite
> simple really.

Ok so a star
> doesn't turn up and on the news it's reported that "that"
> star didn't turn up. Then if you repeatedly fail to turn up venues
> and film previews or whatever rumours about this start to spread and
> so forth.

Anyway, i'm talking about what comes with fame. All of
> the press looking into your private life. Harassing your family,
> friends and yourself so they might get that big scoop. Could you
> put up with that?
Also you would have to put up with the fact that
> it only takes one person to start a rumour and it snowballs into
> something big which not only threatens your career but other things
> as well.

Also about just stopping. Would you really give up a
> job where you get paid up to £10 - 15 million for doing a
> single film? Would you just walk away from producing music that you
> want to produce because you find yourself under a lot of pressure?
> Would you give it all up and work in a supermarket where some TV
> station will tract you down and do one of those "What are they
> doing now?" programs? For some reason i don't think
> so.

Money and fame come with a "price", is that
> "price" worth it?

Darkreaper

I accept that there are elements of publicity that you have to do as a "star" e.g. openings etc but there is also a whole heap of self promotion that goes on e.g. turning up to the opening of a paperbag that is not obligitory. I know I sound like a hard nosed cow but I do think that celebs cry foul occassionally when it is of their own doing. David Bowie one of the musical icons of this century has been quoted as saying that he does not get recognised when he doesn't want to be.
I think it has to be born in mind that show business it exactly that a "business". Stars can maniuplated in the same way as the public but some stars seem a bit smarter than others when it comes to blending their private and public lives.
I think it takes a bit of reading between the lines when it comes to what the media tells us about "celebrities". They are in the public domain, there is risks with that and at the end of the day the media will publish what it thinks joe public wants to hear. We are all responsible but stars will have a whole promotion machine maniuplating them and the public to get the image they want. All to be take with a huge pinch of salt.
Sun 26/08/01 at 12:42
Regular
"You've upset me"
Kim Mathers tried to kill herself too. Just thought I'd mention that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.