GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How disapointing..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rainbow Six 3'.
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Rainbow Six 3.

I thought the single player would be great fun. I don't have Live, so I was hoping for a great single player game to stop me becoming glued to KOTOR (which is fantabulastically insanely marveollloos!....but nearly finished. It's bally short isn't it?!).

But no. Yeah, it looks good. It sounds good. The game however, does not play good.

I can't describe it exactly. Well, I can, because the AI is jut so stupid it's annoying - I shoot a few rounds at a dude and he doesn't even blink, until one actually hits him. I watch through my scope at a man who flits in and out of cover at light speed, making no attempt to do anything other than offer a half-second snap shot at his stupid bonce.

However, the main flaw is that no other FPS game has given me the same feeling - one that I am in fact playing in a linear box that is in fact a construct and not a real world. I can't describe it. Goldeneye was linear, but it *felt* real. Rainbow Six 3 just feels like I've been put in to a place by the designers and that I am playing a game, not that I am *in* the game. It's the most disapointng aspect of the whole affair. Added to the fact that a game of this type should be hugely immersive because of the danger involved. Therefore, waste of time levels such as the dire Shipyard become lessons in how not to involve the player.

Oh, and the headset is the biggest waste of a gimmick ever. Fair play to them for trying and making it work (mostly) but there is no way I'd ever spend the extra odd £20 for it (I won it as a GAD).

The game isn't bad, and I have no experiance of it on Live, where it might be fantastic. However, offline, it is distincly vacuous and not really very exciting.

Ho-hum.
Sat 24/01/04 at 23:20
Regular
Live play on Rainbow Six 3 is really good (in moderation, and not taken *too* seriously). I actually find the majority of games to be filled with interesting, light hearted, British people.
Sat 24/01/04 at 23:13
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I can't help but love Rainbow Six 3....

If it didn't have Live, I wouldn't even own it...
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:34
Regular
I got it, played it and nwo I'm selling it. It's not THAT bad, but it certainly has it's problems.
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:29
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I'm guessing that's half the fun.
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:21
Regular
Yes it is, but half of all Rainbow Six 3 Live games are filled with annoying and very cocky Americans...
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:17
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I hate the single player, but Live is possibly the greatest invention ever.
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:09
Regular
"Teal'c"
Don’t like the single player much either, I just could never get into it like others could. Don’t like the Live experience of it much either though.

Oh and yes, the headset thingy is really shoddy.

“Secure the hostage” I would say.
“Open, Frag and Clear!” They would reply, in their annoying foreign accents.
Sat 24/01/04 at 21:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Rainbow Six 3.

I thought the single player would be great fun. I don't have Live, so I was hoping for a great single player game to stop me becoming glued to KOTOR (which is fantabulastically insanely marveollloos!....but nearly finished. It's bally short isn't it?!).

But no. Yeah, it looks good. It sounds good. The game however, does not play good.

I can't describe it exactly. Well, I can, because the AI is jut so stupid it's annoying - I shoot a few rounds at a dude and he doesn't even blink, until one actually hits him. I watch through my scope at a man who flits in and out of cover at light speed, making no attempt to do anything other than offer a half-second snap shot at his stupid bonce.

However, the main flaw is that no other FPS game has given me the same feeling - one that I am in fact playing in a linear box that is in fact a construct and not a real world. I can't describe it. Goldeneye was linear, but it *felt* real. Rainbow Six 3 just feels like I've been put in to a place by the designers and that I am playing a game, not that I am *in* the game. It's the most disapointng aspect of the whole affair. Added to the fact that a game of this type should be hugely immersive because of the danger involved. Therefore, waste of time levels such as the dire Shipyard become lessons in how not to involve the player.

Oh, and the headset is the biggest waste of a gimmick ever. Fair play to them for trying and making it work (mostly) but there is no way I'd ever spend the extra odd £20 for it (I won it as a GAD).

The game isn't bad, and I have no experiance of it on Live, where it might be fantastic. However, offline, it is distincly vacuous and not really very exciting.

Ho-hum.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.