GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cinematography, should games be given that professional edge?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 02:44
Regular
When we sit in the cinema, and see a brillaintly detailed film, what is one of the key elements to the perfection of a good scene?? Basic cinematography. The lighting, the camera angle, the backdrop, the setting, the costumes, and the general atmoshphere portrayed though images.

As certain games strive to be converted into films in the hope to cash in, they have so far all turned out to be rather lackluster and generally poorly converted. Games companies do not have the professional ability and talent to make grade A, top drawer films at this moment in time. I'm sure Square would be able to make a really good go, as Final Fantasy was an excellent effort, but thet are hindered by the ability of technology, and the coldness of CGI graphics on a big screen.

What games companies hoping to move onto the silver screen should do, is perfect their games first. We saw Tomb Raider be converted to the big screen, but had we seen a Tomb Raider game with the cinematography or a captivating storyline, which made people sit doen and say, this could make a good film?? I don't think we have. As time goes by, and technologies become better, more details could be brought to computer animation and CGI video, but there will still be something major lacking, the talent of a film maker.

Personally I feel Square are the only games company who could have been warranted in trying to create a film, as their Final Fantasy series have been the best examples of film like cinematography the gaming industry has seen. Other companies make great games, Nintendo, Sega, Konami and EA for example, but efforts at converting their games to the big screen just didn't work, because their is little in the way of substance and plot to their franchises, I mean, Suoer Mario Brothers the movie anyone???

What may be more beneficial to the gaes industry is talented people being attracted over from cinema. Brining people in from cinematic backgrounds and putting them to work designing and directing the CGI sequances or the storylines of our games. In general, games are shallow and provode very little in the way of experience, they may be fun, but they soon become tedious and boring if the old grey matter isnt being pulled in different directions and stimulated by different events. Some may disagree with this, they would prefer games to remain like games and movies to remain movies, but I am all for a blurring of the lines between the major entertainment industries. Films have for years been based on novels and have taken literary techniques and developed them for the cinema screen, so why can't games continue that trend??
Thu 16/08/01 at 02:44
Regular
When we sit in the cinema, and see a brillaintly detailed film, what is one of the key elements to the perfection of a good scene?? Basic cinematography. The lighting, the camera angle, the backdrop, the setting, the costumes, and the general atmoshphere portrayed though images.

As certain games strive to be converted into films in the hope to cash in, they have so far all turned out to be rather lackluster and generally poorly converted. Games companies do not have the professional ability and talent to make grade A, top drawer films at this moment in time. I'm sure Square would be able to make a really good go, as Final Fantasy was an excellent effort, but thet are hindered by the ability of technology, and the coldness of CGI graphics on a big screen.

What games companies hoping to move onto the silver screen should do, is perfect their games first. We saw Tomb Raider be converted to the big screen, but had we seen a Tomb Raider game with the cinematography or a captivating storyline, which made people sit doen and say, this could make a good film?? I don't think we have. As time goes by, and technologies become better, more details could be brought to computer animation and CGI video, but there will still be something major lacking, the talent of a film maker.

Personally I feel Square are the only games company who could have been warranted in trying to create a film, as their Final Fantasy series have been the best examples of film like cinematography the gaming industry has seen. Other companies make great games, Nintendo, Sega, Konami and EA for example, but efforts at converting their games to the big screen just didn't work, because their is little in the way of substance and plot to their franchises, I mean, Suoer Mario Brothers the movie anyone???

What may be more beneficial to the gaes industry is talented people being attracted over from cinema. Brining people in from cinematic backgrounds and putting them to work designing and directing the CGI sequances or the storylines of our games. In general, games are shallow and provode very little in the way of experience, they may be fun, but they soon become tedious and boring if the old grey matter isnt being pulled in different directions and stimulated by different events. Some may disagree with this, they would prefer games to remain like games and movies to remain movies, but I am all for a blurring of the lines between the major entertainment industries. Films have for years been based on novels and have taken literary techniques and developed them for the cinema screen, so why can't games continue that trend??
Thu 16/08/01 at 02:51
Regular
True Videos rule at the moment but Video games are starting to muscle in!
Thu 16/08/01 at 02:54
Regular
Pokemon was huge so huge four films have been released! Not brilliant Cinematography i know but you see that this is games and Cinema coming together. The day of reconing is coming Video games will rule the world and SR will be the forfront of it
Fri 17/08/01 at 18:58
Regular
"<];o)"
You won Bruce! Brucies bonus=a GAD!

(;o|
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:35
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Well Done Bonus!!!
Fri 17/08/01 at 21:08
In answer to your last question: maybe the games industry can't be bothered.
Fri 17/08/01 at 21:41
Regular
For once Bonus and I agree on something.

I also think that Final Fantasy was going to be the best series for a film as the game itself is more or less an interactive film and a good one too.

Mario Brothers the Movie was an artists impression of the game. Naturally, a Plumber dressed in red who jumps on turtles and throws their shells was hardly going to work for realism.
And the moive proved it.
It wasn't Mario at all. Simply the elements of Mario distorted into a realistic world.

In simpler words: A COMPLETE MESS.

The original Mortal Kombat wasn't so bad though, even if it's sequel was incredibly stupid.
Fri 17/08/01 at 21:45
Another words: Stick to the script.
Sat 18/08/01 at 00:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Well done bonus, its about time too. Good post and deserves the GAD.
Sun 19/08/01 at 14:45
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Are you saying Bonus hasn't ever won?

Or has he gone for too long without winning that it was getting strange...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.