GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"help with usa formatted games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/01/04 at 13:54
Regular
"mix"
how do i play USA gamesfor ps2 on my uk machine
Sun 25/01/04 at 13:54
Regular
"mix"
how do i play USA gamesfor ps2 on my uk machine
Sun 25/01/04 at 13:58
"period drama"
You need to get it chipped or get a flip-top lid and boot disc.
You also need a NTSC 60Hz compatible telly.

Now I'm sure you didn't understand any of that, so just wait untl someone more helpful comes along.
Sun 25/01/04 at 14:03
Regular
"mix"
thanks, i guess it pays to check before you buy games that seem cheap in the usa
Sun 25/01/04 at 19:08
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
You could always import an NTSC PS2 to play them on, saves you blowing your warranty by chipping, plus you can still connect to online games with an NTSC PS2 whereas if you're chipped you're going to start seeing the dreaded DNAS -611 or DNAS -612 errors more and more often.

Technically both are still illegal in the UK, importing because it violates licence agreements (NTSC games are only for NTSC territories to protect publishers) and chipping still violates Sony's hardware copyright.

Interestingly, in Italy chipping your PS2 has been ruled legal in a very recent court case, same as in Australia. What seems strange is that in both countries, both CD backups and grey imports are still ruled as illegal under their copyright protection laws, and these are the only two reasons people would need to chip their consoles in the first place.

Law demonstrating clearly once again that it's an ass.
Sun 25/01/04 at 20:17
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
FM, pretty sure that in Australia that ruling was overturned shortly after and chipping is still illegal. Only know because it was in topic Dr Duck made back December time.
Sun 25/01/04 at 21:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Cool, maybe they'll appeal in Italy too?
Sun 25/01/04 at 22:05
Regular
"..."
I heard that Chipping the ps2 can make the games graphics lower , is that true ?
Sun 25/01/04 at 22:18
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Law demonstrating clearly once again that it's an ass.

The interesting thing about that comment is that you obviously don't know what happened in the cases to make that judgement.

Number one, a key point in the original Australian case was that it was displayed how the chip could be used for legal reasons i.e. importing. Not all jurisdictions have taken the insane view that importing is contrary to the licensing agreements.

Secondly, it didn't breach any of Sony's IP in the console on either a hardware or software basis. The software was bypassed, rather than altered; and the user is free to alter the hardware as they choose as that it what they purchase. Sony can protect the design of the hardware to stop you copying it, but they can't stop you doing what you wish with your possessions.
Sun 25/01/04 at 22:22
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> importing because it
> violates licence agreements

That's disputable too. It can be argued on a civil basis that it is a retailer can’t to sell to UK residents, depending on the terms of the agreement between the publisher and the distributor, but it isn't "illegal" for me to buy an American game and play it here.
Sun 25/01/04 at 23:59
Regular
"..."
Guys , I heard that Chipping the ps2 can make the games graphics lower , is that true ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.