GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You don't get anything like Elite anymore"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/01/04 at 10:08
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Fair enough, the next two versions of the classic were, well, a bit poo really ... going for size of game over actual quality and enjoyment of game. But with GTA bringing back the 'do what you want to' style of game, I'd love to see that kinda ethos transferred into a space game again.

Going around, trading, taxi service, bounty hunter ... but making the world a more entertaining one than that of the Elite games. For one, I found it a nightmare trying to get to the distant places on Frontier, plus I found the overly realistic nature of spaceflight made fighting a nightmare. But something lovely like GTA set in space. A nice solar system to fly round, some varied and interesting planets, a nice storyline that drives the game on to a potential end, perhaps with you getting involved in a nice intergalatic battle, Star Wars style ... BUT having plenty of side stuff for you to do if you just fancy flying around and doing something different.
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:08
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Fair enough, the next two versions of the classic were, well, a bit poo really ... going for size of game over actual quality and enjoyment of game. But with GTA bringing back the 'do what you want to' style of game, I'd love to see that kinda ethos transferred into a space game again.

Going around, trading, taxi service, bounty hunter ... but making the world a more entertaining one than that of the Elite games. For one, I found it a nightmare trying to get to the distant places on Frontier, plus I found the overly realistic nature of spaceflight made fighting a nightmare. But something lovely like GTA set in space. A nice solar system to fly round, some varied and interesting planets, a nice storyline that drives the game on to a potential end, perhaps with you getting involved in a nice intergalatic battle, Star Wars style ... BUT having plenty of side stuff for you to do if you just fancy flying around and doing something different.
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:12
Regular
That would be a good idea. Non-linearity is the way to go I reckon.

Although certain games need to retain their linearity, there really should be more 'do what you want' games.
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:15
Regular
"Moody DJ"
It gives a game lastability if you can make up your own aims, then you're the one who decides when you've 'completed' it as such. Plus you don't really get an space games anymore ... what has their been, the Starfighter games and thats about it.
Fri 30/01/04 at 10:18
Regular
Something must be in the pipeline. It's one of the best settings for a game as there are so many possibilities with a Space setting.
Fri 30/01/04 at 11:37
Regular
"8==="
A 'do what you want' game?

Morrowind.
Fri 30/01/04 at 11:41
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Hedfix wrote:
> A 'do what you want' game?
>
> Morrowind.

Is it set in space and involves lots of flying around and a nice storyline?
Fri 30/01/04 at 11:53
Regular
"8==="
Widge wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> A 'do what you want' game?
>
> Morrowind.
>
> Is it set in space and involves lots of flying around and a nice
> storyline?

No, but not even StarWars managed that. (Crap story)

Get hold of an old copy of Star Fighter 3000, that's a good laugh.
Fri 30/01/04 at 12:03
Regular
"Enchilladas"
Well GTA should be what you said a 5 disk game each with there own world.

*Imagines*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.