GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-box online - basic help"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/01/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I have a friend who received an Xbox for Xmas with 3 games which he can play online with. I am not interested in online gaming so could do with a few basic pointers to help him out please.

He has broadband and knows he can connect the Xbox via his router but then everything else is a void.

What happens next? How does he go online to play exactly. What will happen when he goes online? How does he get into the online gaming community?

I have not connected my PS2 for online play (hey - watch your language!) so have no idea about the online community.

Any sensible advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Mon 09/02/04 at 18:48
Regular
I read your email you need xbox live. Get a starter kit install it on your xbox and away you go.
Sun 01/02/04 at 18:49
"I love yo... lamp."
No. None that I have ever come across anyway.
Sun 01/02/04 at 16:13
Regular
"Ye a know"
Do USB adsl modems have an ethernet port on them as then all id have to do is buy an ethernet cable,connect xbox to modem and then modem to broadband line but if not i have to share pc connection with an crossover cable or buy a router
so do usb modems have an ethernet port?
Sat 31/01/04 at 13:07
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Brilliant = thanks very much.
Sat 31/01/04 at 11:08
"I love yo... lamp."
Right well if he has a router then everything should be easy. He will need a normal network cable to plug into the Xbox and router. That he should manage. It connects just like the PC would.

After that, he is going to need an Xbox Live starter kit. £40 for a year's subscription and a headset. Some games have come with free trials lately with the option to pay £5 a month to extend the subscription. But that works out at £60 a year without a headset, so the Starter Kit is the way to go.

After he has bought that, he sticks the disc in the Xbox and starts to set up the account. Depending on when his Xbox was manufactured, it might have a Live menu on the dashboard when he turns the Xbox on already. If it is an older Xbox it won't and will install that option from the disc. Pretty easy really. You enter a screen name and some other information. The Xbox detects the broadband connection and then starts automatically. It'll download a few updates when it first connects. These are driver updates.

After registration is finished, (you enter a code you get in the starter kit to get the years subscription) you just stick the games in and select the Xbox Live menu in the game.
Fri 30/01/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I have a friend who received an Xbox for Xmas with 3 games which he can play online with. I am not interested in online gaming so could do with a few basic pointers to help him out please.

He has broadband and knows he can connect the Xbox via his router but then everything else is a void.

What happens next? How does he go online to play exactly. What will happen when he goes online? How does he get into the online gaming community?

I have not connected my PS2 for online play (hey - watch your language!) so have no idea about the online community.

Any sensible advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.