GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XboX DvD Player Widescreen Problem!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/02/04 at 14:27
Regular
""To the pub...""
I have started using my xbox as a DvD player since i got rid of my PS2 and have no intention of buying a dvd player when i could wait for recordable dvd players to drop in price.

But since using my xbox as a dvd player every dvd i play seems to be automatically turned widescreen and this is not good if you don' have a widescreen tv.

Is there a way you can turn it off ? the only option i have found so far is to zoom in but this is not very good it gets rid of the black widescreen bits but replaces it with loss of screen resolution and cuts some of the picture away.

if i can't find a solution i might have to buy the Ronin P807 its only £54.99
Mon 02/02/04 at 08:40
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
When you have 4:3 (fullscreen) selected any widescreen film which is probably nearly all of them now will resize to have the black borders at top and bottom so the aspect ratio remains the same so no one looks overly tall or stretched.

If you really want to have it display in all of the screen then select widescreen and any anamorphic film (a film that fills all the screen on a widescreen TV) willbe stretched.

I would stick with selecting 4:3 though!!

As for buying another DVD player, that still wont solve your problem! The settings are no different to that of the Xbox have the three options:

4:3
16:9
or letterbox
Sun 01/02/04 at 16:37
Regular
""To the pub...""
Cheers.
Sun 01/02/04 at 15:47
Regular
"QPR 1974"
On the xbox dashboard, go to settings, then Video I think, then choose Letterbox or something.
Sun 01/02/04 at 14:27
Regular
""To the pub...""
I have started using my xbox as a DvD player since i got rid of my PS2 and have no intention of buying a dvd player when i could wait for recordable dvd players to drop in price.

But since using my xbox as a dvd player every dvd i play seems to be automatically turned widescreen and this is not good if you don' have a widescreen tv.

Is there a way you can turn it off ? the only option i have found so far is to zoom in but this is not very good it gets rid of the black widescreen bits but replaces it with loss of screen resolution and cuts some of the picture away.

if i can't find a solution i might have to buy the Ronin P807 its only £54.99

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.