GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thinking about getting a Dreamcast for Internet have Questions !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/02/04 at 18:04
Regular
""To the pub...""
Hi i am thinking about buying a Dreamcast considering how cheap they are to use for the internet but i have a few questions:

1) what do you need to get the dreamcast online.

2) can it use broadband ?

3) can you access any website on a dreamcast.

4) how much do you need to pay for the internet ?

think thats it cheers.
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:24
Regular
Buck1 wrote:
> the last time i tryed to connect to the internet using my dreamcast it
> wouldnt connect probably becoase its old and the server doesnt make
> any money.
>
> it is extramly slow and no java applets i i think and you cant
> download anything that the dreamcast can use.
>
> if i were you i would stick with your pc as the dreamcast has no
> players, too slow, no broadband

Have you ever heard of the word "fact"? The Dreamkey software has plenty of player plugins. Of course, the Flash 7 plugin won't be on it but Flash 6 should be.

I question how you can say the connection is "slow" when apparently you have no way of getting online in the first place. "server doesn't make any money"????? You use your existing ISP details which, to simplify, allows you to use the same connection as your PC.

*Despair*
Sun 25/04/04 at 17:20
Regular
Ok I actually have some facts for you regarding the DC and going online.

The official European modem is indeed 33.6kb, though if you look on Ebay you can get a 56K one (imported from the USA and yes, they do work) for around 5 quid.

There is a broadband adaptor (I got one last week as it happens) and that will set you back around 50 quid as they're very rare. Only around 50,000 were produced. You have to be careful when buying one of these though because after the broadband adaptor sold out, retailers started selling the LAN adaptor (10mb/sec LAN, while the broadband adaptor is 10/100mb/sec broadband/LAN) which of course won't work with broadband. Manufacturers in Japan reckon they'll produce more broadband adaptors if demand gets to more than 1000 units.

Dreamkey 3.0 lets you specify ISP details but again, it's rare. Ebay should have some though, or, as has already been said, there are other software options.

With Dreamkey 3.0, the cost of being online is the same cost as going online with your PC as it uses the same account, assuming you set it up for the same one of course.

Hope this helps?
Sat 21/02/04 at 10:34
Regular
"elsonar.co.uk"
stick with pc as the dc dosent even use a 56k modem its actuall 33.3 - Bah!

and can u even still get on?
Thu 05/02/04 at 13:42
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
P.S You can download the Planetweb browser for nothing, which lets you set up the ISP details and connect.
Thu 05/02/04 at 13:41
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
There are DC broadband adapters, but very hard to find one these days. The only good reason for going online with a DC these days is to download saves onto your memory card.
Tue 03/02/04 at 18:25
Buck1 wrote:
> the last time i tryed to connect to the internet using my dreamcast it
> wouldnt connect probably becoase its old and the server doesnt make
> any money.

Um, no.

Normal 56K it takes, you need a Dreamcast internet cd or something.
Should of got one with the console.
Mon 02/02/04 at 22:36
Regular
""To the pub...""
Cheers.
Mon 02/02/04 at 21:59
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
the last time i tryed to connect to the internet using my dreamcast it wouldnt connect probably becoase its old and the server doesnt make any money.

it is extramly slow and no java applets i i think and you cant download anything that the dreamcast can use.

if i were you i would stick with your pc as the dreamcast has no players, too slow, no broadband
Mon 02/02/04 at 18:04
Regular
""To the pub...""
Hi i am thinking about buying a Dreamcast considering how cheap they are to use for the internet but i have a few questions:

1) what do you need to get the dreamcast online.

2) can it use broadband ?

3) can you access any website on a dreamcast.

4) how much do you need to pay for the internet ?

think thats it cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.