GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Variety of sports games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/08/01 at 12:58
Regular
All sports are popular, some much more popular than others. Everyone seems to like at least one sport whether its football, rugby, american football, basketball or some of the less physical sports like darts or snooker. Some just like sports like beach volleyball for the visual entertainment. : )

Not only are sports popular to watch and to take part in but they also convert into becoming decent games, well some do anyway. EA sports are probably the biggest developer of sports games and have the best games for most sports (ok so ISS is good challenge on the football genre) but most of the sports they make into games are the hugely popular american sports like basketball, baseball, american football, ice hockey. But do the sports have to be hugely popular before they are made into a game?

Im sure most if not all of us have played some kind of sport game but do you have to be a fan of the sport to like the game, I think not. As long as the gameplay is good and the graphics are impressive then surely the game should sell well no matter which sport it is based on.

I would like to see more variety of sports games being made, sports that may not be hugely popular but could maybe make a decent game.There are hundreds maybe thousands of sports and only a handful of sports which are made into games. Such sports like grass hockey, volleyball, beach soccer, gaelic football, Aussie rules football, most martial arts. The list could go on and on. Ok so they might not become as popular as the fifa or NBA games but surely they will appeal to alot of people if the game plays well.

Also what is it that makes sport games so popular, most of us can take part in the most sports in real life so why play the game? I think that most sport games give you the chance to win with a team or player you support, they provide good multiplayers for taking on friends, they allow you to play against some of the best in that sport (ok so its not as good as real life but still pretty impressive) also most sport games play and look similar to the real thing. The graphics are good and these games can get pretty addictive. Most importantly is that they are fun.

Alot of sport games are criticised as the sequels are just an updated version of the previous game, this is true in most cases but usually becasue there isn't much they can change. If they change the contrlos or make a major change to the game it could end up worse than the previous version and fans of the games may be disapointed and chose another game to buy. I would like to see improvements that actually make the game better than its previous version just so I know Im getting my moneys worth when I buy it.

So what sports do you like that you would like to see made into games? Are you happy with the standards of most of todays game? Could the developers do better? Your views please.
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
All sports are popular, some much more popular than others. Everyone seems to like at least one sport whether its football, rugby, american football, basketball or some of the less physical sports like darts or snooker. Some just like sports like beach volleyball for the visual entertainment. : )

Not only are sports popular to watch and to take part in but they also convert into becoming decent games, well some do anyway. EA sports are probably the biggest developer of sports games and have the best games for most sports (ok so ISS is good challenge on the football genre) but most of the sports they make into games are the hugely popular american sports like basketball, baseball, american football, ice hockey. But do the sports have to be hugely popular before they are made into a game?

Im sure most if not all of us have played some kind of sport game but do you have to be a fan of the sport to like the game, I think not. As long as the gameplay is good and the graphics are impressive then surely the game should sell well no matter which sport it is based on.

I would like to see more variety of sports games being made, sports that may not be hugely popular but could maybe make a decent game.There are hundreds maybe thousands of sports and only a handful of sports which are made into games. Such sports like grass hockey, volleyball, beach soccer, gaelic football, Aussie rules football, most martial arts. The list could go on and on. Ok so they might not become as popular as the fifa or NBA games but surely they will appeal to alot of people if the game plays well.

Also what is it that makes sport games so popular, most of us can take part in the most sports in real life so why play the game? I think that most sport games give you the chance to win with a team or player you support, they provide good multiplayers for taking on friends, they allow you to play against some of the best in that sport (ok so its not as good as real life but still pretty impressive) also most sport games play and look similar to the real thing. The graphics are good and these games can get pretty addictive. Most importantly is that they are fun.

Alot of sport games are criticised as the sequels are just an updated version of the previous game, this is true in most cases but usually becasue there isn't much they can change. If they change the contrlos or make a major change to the game it could end up worse than the previous version and fans of the games may be disapointed and chose another game to buy. I would like to see improvements that actually make the game better than its previous version just so I know Im getting my moneys worth when I buy it.

So what sports do you like that you would like to see made into games? Are you happy with the standards of most of todays game? Could the developers do better? Your views please.
Tue 14/08/01 at 18:16
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Anyone got views on this?
Tue 14/08/01 at 18:28
Regular
Emm, do we really need 4 Fifa games a year??
Tue 14/08/01 at 18:57
Hmm, not really.
Tue 14/08/01 at 19:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Bonus wrote:
> Emm, do we really need 4 Fifa games a year??

No, not really, this just goes to show that most developers are in it for the money. The newest version of the game is supposed to be the best so people who want it will buy it, sometimes even people who own a previous version will buy it just because it is newer.
Tue 14/08/01 at 19:55
Regular
Football games need to move on. They've been dishing the same formula for donkeys years.
FIFA Soccer is the biggest culprit: fluffy control and a dead atmosphere. I don't know what the PS2 version is like, but even if EA had finally got it right, I wouldn't care.
On the whole, football games lack punch and excitement. Football is a rip-roaring game, no one has yet really captured its true essence.

The sports games I prefer have arcade style gameplay (i.e. punchy and brash) and also a feeling of progression. Virtua Tennis is a good example of this.

I don't have to be a fan of the sport to enjoy a sports game. For instance I don't really like tennis. Although I must say I cannot play American Football - mainly because I don't understand the rules.
I've played a couple of baseball games and quite enjoyed them, but I'd never watch baseball on TV.
Tue 14/08/01 at 20:11
Regular
What makes a Sports games good - in a nutshell:

Graphics & Gameplay: punchy, big and brash.
Game Structure: a sense of realistic progression.

If a sports game has these elements - then I will buy it(except for basketball games - can't stand basketball.)
Wed 15/08/01 at 20:54
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I would like to see ea take a new approach to the way they make there fifa games. Try a new way and maybe end up with a better game. They usually just update a previous version. It would be nice to see if they could create something better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.