GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back to the Future"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/08/01 at 10:28
Regular
"In the year 2020 we will all have flying skateboards, hovercars, and jackets that dry themselves".

Claims from films about how the future is going to be make me laugh all the time. In the 60s everyone thought that by the time we got to where we are now, robots would do all the housework for you, and if the Jetsons are to be believed we would travel around buildings on moving paths.

When we look into the future nowadays our predictions are a little less ambitious. Flying cars are not really going to happen in the near future, but electric cars are - a technology that seemed a pipedream 15 years ago.

So, what is the future of consoles, and gaming in general?

As consoles go, the ones we have now are showing the near future. New, more powerful machines will be released, graphics will advance up to TV quality, we will see more free-roaming environments, and lots of realtime strategies adopted by the ever-advancing AI.

In the distant future, though, is a whole new form of gaming. Bemani games are pioneering, where the player has to actually hit a drum instead of pressing a button. Sony have been developing a system that, using a webcam, tracks movement by the player and moves screen graphics accordingly.

Where could this go? Imagine a fighting game. You stand in front of a motion sensor, and actually punch and kick your opponent. What if the opponent was a full size hologram in front of you? Its nothing we havent seen, there was that classic (yet rubbish) Sega game "Spave time traveller" or something, that had interactive holograms. Perhaps hits on you could be formed by pressured air? Who knows!

As for gaming in general? Well, we are currently looking at online, realtime games. Who knows what could happen next! Perhaps a VR headset, linked in with a motion tracker, that let you wander the enviornment for real, and chat to other players from around the world inside the game. With this in mind, the possibilities are endless.

And from there? The Matrix had a good idea, the definition of "real" is electrical signals in the brain, and could be fed game data. That is many, many years off, with current science till trying to figure out the human brain, but its not out of the question.

So, In our lifetime, what are we going to get? I don't want to predict the future, because future generations will look down on these and laugh, like we did about the ones from the 60s, but with the technology around at the moment, its hard not to get excited.
Tue 14/08/01 at 10:28
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
"In the year 2020 we will all have flying skateboards, hovercars, and jackets that dry themselves".

Claims from films about how the future is going to be make me laugh all the time. In the 60s everyone thought that by the time we got to where we are now, robots would do all the housework for you, and if the Jetsons are to be believed we would travel around buildings on moving paths.

When we look into the future nowadays our predictions are a little less ambitious. Flying cars are not really going to happen in the near future, but electric cars are - a technology that seemed a pipedream 15 years ago.

So, what is the future of consoles, and gaming in general?

As consoles go, the ones we have now are showing the near future. New, more powerful machines will be released, graphics will advance up to TV quality, we will see more free-roaming environments, and lots of realtime strategies adopted by the ever-advancing AI.

In the distant future, though, is a whole new form of gaming. Bemani games are pioneering, where the player has to actually hit a drum instead of pressing a button. Sony have been developing a system that, using a webcam, tracks movement by the player and moves screen graphics accordingly.

Where could this go? Imagine a fighting game. You stand in front of a motion sensor, and actually punch and kick your opponent. What if the opponent was a full size hologram in front of you? Its nothing we havent seen, there was that classic (yet rubbish) Sega game "Spave time traveller" or something, that had interactive holograms. Perhaps hits on you could be formed by pressured air? Who knows!

As for gaming in general? Well, we are currently looking at online, realtime games. Who knows what could happen next! Perhaps a VR headset, linked in with a motion tracker, that let you wander the enviornment for real, and chat to other players from around the world inside the game. With this in mind, the possibilities are endless.

And from there? The Matrix had a good idea, the definition of "real" is electrical signals in the brain, and could be fed game data. That is many, many years off, with current science till trying to figure out the human brain, but its not out of the question.

So, In our lifetime, what are we going to get? I don't want to predict the future, because future generations will look down on these and laugh, like we did about the ones from the 60s, but with the technology around at the moment, its hard not to get excited.
Tue 14/08/01 at 10:59
Regular
"Excommunicated"
2015 actually ;)

I've already used BTTF for a post :D

Although its different :)

Cheese
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:19
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
2015? Baaager!

Well, thats my GAD out the window!
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:33
Regular
"<];o)"
Slaveunit wrote:
> 2015? Baaager!

Well, thats my GAD out the window!

Hehe....it was out the window and in the gutter before you started mate :)

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:50
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
In some more modern films based on and around the future like....Bicentenial man! If they want it to be about one type of robot they set it very far into the future like 100 years and include stuff like protective plastic coats for on the beach because the ozone layer is gone! etc.!
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:22
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
§t@®§@!Lº® wrote:

Hehe....it
> was out the window and in the gutter before you started mate

Yeah, I know...

**Slave gets his coat...**

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.