GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turok: The legacy"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/08/01 at 10:28
Regular
Turok started life as a comic book, if you used to read it, I can assure you that no one would have ever guessed what would happen to the character from it.

The protector of the lost land, known as the Turok, became involved in the world of computer games. Skillfully brought onto the screen by Rare, Turok one was a revolutionary game on the N64 when it was first released.

At last Nintendo had a game franchise that was exclusive to its console, Acclaim had created a smash hit that was to show the way forward for FPS in the future.

But what was it that made Turok one successfull? Well to me it is quite obvious so I will explain. Big guns anyone??? No perso on this planet can resist the urge to have a big gun in their hands and not go and waste some dinosaurs, is it just me??? Looking at the games sales I don't think it was.

The games levels were expansive, sometimes a bit too big, something Acclaim never realised. The bosses were big, the game was just.....big! Turok was seeling welll until a certain FPS came along called Goldeneye. We all know what happened to Goldeneye don't we so I won't explain.

So Acclaim had to think bigger and better, their next Turok game was probably designed to be a Goldeneye beater, although if truth be told it certainly wasn't. Mainly to do with the fact that it just wasn't so compelling to play.

So Turok 2 arrived in England, people automatically began to think of big guns, if they did they were not going to be dissapointed. Turok 2 has some of the most lethal and violent weaponary to ever feature in a game, my favourite? The cerebal bore of course.

As people began to experience the game though an instant problem arose. THe levels were just too big, and the save points wre few and far between. People were just finding the game too hard to complete, especially level 4, Lair of the Blind ones. Acclaim must have realised this before releasing it, but maybe their plan was too create a game so challenging only the best and most loyal gamers could complete it.

Soon after its release the big cheat for the game wa unveiled. If you type BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND on the cheat entering screen you will unlock every single cheat in the game. Many people found that this was the only way that they could see the later ;evels because they just couldn't get to them by gaming along, cheating on Turok 2 became very popular.

So with the Lost Land safe again, what could happen next? A shock released by Acclaim was what. Turok Rages Wars was released. A game designed soley for multiplayer battles. Following on the Unreal Tournament tradition Acclaim released a game with a one player that consisted of 4 player battles, working your way up a tournament ladder.

Instantly Acclaim had a successs on their hands, they had managed to improve upon the very lacklustre multiplayer of Turok 2. For once the battles were fast and frantic with perfectly designed weapons for fair even fights that the better player would win. Luck didn't come into it. If you were good enough you would win.

Eventually, Turok Rage Wars had a sudden drop in price in the shops and Special Reserve began to offer it as a free gift (best one of the lot), this gave many more gamers (including me) the chance to play one of the best FPS multiplayers on the N64. The lower price suited the game, as too me £50 pounds is too much to ask for game designed for multiplayer and not much else.

News began to appear in magazines shortly after Turok Rage Wars had been released about Acclaim being busy at work on the 3rd proper instalment of the series. Turok 3:Shadow of Oblivion was at hand (hehe) in Acclaim, Austin. To me the prospect of another Turok game was very great, I had enjoyed the previous installments and I was sure the next could be just as good.

Unfortunately for Acclaim they took just too long to release the game, Rare had done it again and released a previously unheard of game, with no hype or anything under the name of Pewrfect Dark (enough sarcasm now). This was the game that was to set the landmark for FPS, never had a FPS been so good.

Soon after Perfect Darks release Acclaim finished Turok 3 and people were expecting great, great things after playing Perfect Dark. Unfortunately, after experiencing Perfect Dark nothing could live up to the publics expectations, Turok 3 recieved mediocre reviews to say the least. Too many people were comparing it too Perfect Dark instead of thinking of it as a seperate game.

In no ways was Turok 3 a bad game, it was just the fact that PErfect Dark was so perfect that it didn't seem so good. It could have been improved I won't deny it, but certain parts of it were actually very good. Take the part when you are on top of a speeding underground train racing to disarm a bomb, with monsters running along the carriages, sound exciting? It is I can assure you.

The trouble with the game was that it was just too repetetive compared to Perfect Dark. Turok 3 consisted of the same things level after level whereas Perfect Dark was giving you fresh challenges all of the time.

A good thing to Turok 3s name was the fact that finally a company had nearly perfected the art of lip synching an the characters emotions really showed. Their lips moved perfectly and their face mved how you would expect a humans too. Also Turok 3 gave you the choice too play as either a female or a male character giving it more lastability.

After Turok Rage Wars, I was expecting Turok 3s multiplayer to be tremendous, unfortunately...it wasn't. Jerkiness is the only word to describe it. The weapons jusr weren't suited to death matches and ultimately it just couldn't hold its own feat against the sublime multiplayer of Rage Wars and Perfect Dark.

SO has the Turok Legacy died out? For me, maybe it has, but by the looks of it for Ps2 owners it has only just began. Turok 4 has been announced for the Ps2, and is as yet unconfirmed for the GAMECUBE. HEaring this news made me feel sad seeing as I think a very good instalment of the game could be achieved on the GAMECUBE, not that it won't be on the Ps2, but I feel Nintendo should try and persuade Acclaim to develop the game for the GAMECUBE as well.

So what do you think? Turok 4 sound interesting? Would you want it on the GAMECUBE? I know I would, but I ask you too decide for yourselves.

Thanks for reading.
<];o| MJ
Tue 14/08/01 at 10:28
Regular
"<];o)"
Turok started life as a comic book, if you used to read it, I can assure you that no one would have ever guessed what would happen to the character from it.

The protector of the lost land, known as the Turok, became involved in the world of computer games. Skillfully brought onto the screen by Rare, Turok one was a revolutionary game on the N64 when it was first released.

At last Nintendo had a game franchise that was exclusive to its console, Acclaim had created a smash hit that was to show the way forward for FPS in the future.

But what was it that made Turok one successfull? Well to me it is quite obvious so I will explain. Big guns anyone??? No perso on this planet can resist the urge to have a big gun in their hands and not go and waste some dinosaurs, is it just me??? Looking at the games sales I don't think it was.

The games levels were expansive, sometimes a bit too big, something Acclaim never realised. The bosses were big, the game was just.....big! Turok was seeling welll until a certain FPS came along called Goldeneye. We all know what happened to Goldeneye don't we so I won't explain.

So Acclaim had to think bigger and better, their next Turok game was probably designed to be a Goldeneye beater, although if truth be told it certainly wasn't. Mainly to do with the fact that it just wasn't so compelling to play.

So Turok 2 arrived in England, people automatically began to think of big guns, if they did they were not going to be dissapointed. Turok 2 has some of the most lethal and violent weaponary to ever feature in a game, my favourite? The cerebal bore of course.

As people began to experience the game though an instant problem arose. THe levels were just too big, and the save points wre few and far between. People were just finding the game too hard to complete, especially level 4, Lair of the Blind ones. Acclaim must have realised this before releasing it, but maybe their plan was too create a game so challenging only the best and most loyal gamers could complete it.

Soon after its release the big cheat for the game wa unveiled. If you type BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND on the cheat entering screen you will unlock every single cheat in the game. Many people found that this was the only way that they could see the later ;evels because they just couldn't get to them by gaming along, cheating on Turok 2 became very popular.

So with the Lost Land safe again, what could happen next? A shock released by Acclaim was what. Turok Rages Wars was released. A game designed soley for multiplayer battles. Following on the Unreal Tournament tradition Acclaim released a game with a one player that consisted of 4 player battles, working your way up a tournament ladder.

Instantly Acclaim had a successs on their hands, they had managed to improve upon the very lacklustre multiplayer of Turok 2. For once the battles were fast and frantic with perfectly designed weapons for fair even fights that the better player would win. Luck didn't come into it. If you were good enough you would win.

Eventually, Turok Rage Wars had a sudden drop in price in the shops and Special Reserve began to offer it as a free gift (best one of the lot), this gave many more gamers (including me) the chance to play one of the best FPS multiplayers on the N64. The lower price suited the game, as too me £50 pounds is too much to ask for game designed for multiplayer and not much else.

News began to appear in magazines shortly after Turok Rage Wars had been released about Acclaim being busy at work on the 3rd proper instalment of the series. Turok 3:Shadow of Oblivion was at hand (hehe) in Acclaim, Austin. To me the prospect of another Turok game was very great, I had enjoyed the previous installments and I was sure the next could be just as good.

Unfortunately for Acclaim they took just too long to release the game, Rare had done it again and released a previously unheard of game, with no hype or anything under the name of Pewrfect Dark (enough sarcasm now). This was the game that was to set the landmark for FPS, never had a FPS been so good.

Soon after Perfect Darks release Acclaim finished Turok 3 and people were expecting great, great things after playing Perfect Dark. Unfortunately, after experiencing Perfect Dark nothing could live up to the publics expectations, Turok 3 recieved mediocre reviews to say the least. Too many people were comparing it too Perfect Dark instead of thinking of it as a seperate game.

In no ways was Turok 3 a bad game, it was just the fact that PErfect Dark was so perfect that it didn't seem so good. It could have been improved I won't deny it, but certain parts of it were actually very good. Take the part when you are on top of a speeding underground train racing to disarm a bomb, with monsters running along the carriages, sound exciting? It is I can assure you.

The trouble with the game was that it was just too repetetive compared to Perfect Dark. Turok 3 consisted of the same things level after level whereas Perfect Dark was giving you fresh challenges all of the time.

A good thing to Turok 3s name was the fact that finally a company had nearly perfected the art of lip synching an the characters emotions really showed. Their lips moved perfectly and their face mved how you would expect a humans too. Also Turok 3 gave you the choice too play as either a female or a male character giving it more lastability.

After Turok Rage Wars, I was expecting Turok 3s multiplayer to be tremendous, unfortunately...it wasn't. Jerkiness is the only word to describe it. The weapons jusr weren't suited to death matches and ultimately it just couldn't hold its own feat against the sublime multiplayer of Rage Wars and Perfect Dark.

SO has the Turok Legacy died out? For me, maybe it has, but by the looks of it for Ps2 owners it has only just began. Turok 4 has been announced for the Ps2, and is as yet unconfirmed for the GAMECUBE. HEaring this news made me feel sad seeing as I think a very good instalment of the game could be achieved on the GAMECUBE, not that it won't be on the Ps2, but I feel Nintendo should try and persuade Acclaim to develop the game for the GAMECUBE as well.

So what do you think? Turok 4 sound interesting? Would you want it on the GAMECUBE? I know I would, but I ask you too decide for yourselves.

Thanks for reading.
<];o| MJ
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:55
You really wrote that yourself? Or did you copy it from a mag or another site.

But if you DID wrote it yourself you are really good to write.

Turok rules!!!
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:06
Regular
"<];o)"
I worte it all myself mate, was it really any good? PErsonally I thought it sucked. But hey, what do I know?

<(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:56
Regular
Turok 4 has been confirmed for x box,ps2 and gamecube.
Tue 14/08/01 at 17:40
Regular
"<];o)"
Really??? Last I heard Acclaim hadn't confirmed it, never mind.

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 17:49
Wow!! What a great story there...
Tue 14/08/01 at 18:12
Regular
"<];o)"
I don't mean to shout, but I am going to go against my better judgement, ITS NOT A STORY ALRIGHT? It is all true as any true Turok fan would know.

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 18:56
OK then. It's an account of recent history.
Tue 14/08/01 at 22:12
Regular
Nice, but Rare didn't make Turok. :0)
Tue 14/08/01 at 22:23
Regular
"<];o)"
Whoops, didn't notice I wrote that Grix. You know I don't actually think that don't you Grix? I mentioned the right developer many more times than the wrong one....I think.

(;o|

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.