GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Actors and why they are like plumbers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 23:40
Regular
Two things happened this week end to pee me off. One the washing machine packed in and I had to call the plumber out and two I watched the Eastenders tribuite nonsense with Johnathon Ross.
The plumber annoyed me as he came round looked at the machine sucked his teeth, darkly murmed big job love and then inflicted a twenty minute description of what exactly he had done to repair the problem, the design fault of the manufacturers and the universe and the real or imaginary horrors that awaited me if I hadn't sorted out the problem then or there. My life being torn apart by a drum load of wrecked knickers at best a flood of biblical proportions at worst.
Whilst he was banging on all I could think is "I don't care". I don't want to know the details I just want to know it works. The truth is the only people who are really interested in what plumbers do is other plumbers. I am not a plumber, I don't mind paying a plumber for his expertise but I'm not interested in the mechanics of plumbing. I don't need to be patronised and then bored to death with the details. I'll happily pay a gypsies ransom to sort the problem out I just want it fixed and quickly.
So after getting rid of him I settled down to watch Eastenders the tribuite. Love it or loathe it this is a soap classic. You've got to love Dot Cotton best line ever "My Nicks gorn and I've come out in a rash".
The disappointment to find out that June Brown the actress who plays Dot Cotton is some boring old lovie two sheets to the wind who could barely string a sentence together was devastating. The same went for all of them with Wendy Richards winning the most nauseating self congratulatory luvvie of all time by saying "16 years of wearing Pauline Fowlers smock got me an MBE". Just naff off to your next celebrity gold tournament/charidee event and die in some bizarre choking accident with your MBE.
All of them had that fake posh accent of drama school graduates and not a single one of them had an interesting thing to say. You'd think if you are paid to talk you might have something mildly amusing to say. They have some fantastic characters to act in one of the most popular shows on TV could they think of anything else to say apart from congratulate each other on how "lurverly" they all are. In fact they all had that Dot Cotton strangely dated diction. Whatever.
In conclusions plumbers and actors are about as interesting as each other when it comes to talking about thier work. Stick to the script I say.
Mon 13/08/01 at 23:40
Two things happened this week end to pee me off. One the washing machine packed in and I had to call the plumber out and two I watched the Eastenders tribuite nonsense with Johnathon Ross.
The plumber annoyed me as he came round looked at the machine sucked his teeth, darkly murmed big job love and then inflicted a twenty minute description of what exactly he had done to repair the problem, the design fault of the manufacturers and the universe and the real or imaginary horrors that awaited me if I hadn't sorted out the problem then or there. My life being torn apart by a drum load of wrecked knickers at best a flood of biblical proportions at worst.
Whilst he was banging on all I could think is "I don't care". I don't want to know the details I just want to know it works. The truth is the only people who are really interested in what plumbers do is other plumbers. I am not a plumber, I don't mind paying a plumber for his expertise but I'm not interested in the mechanics of plumbing. I don't need to be patronised and then bored to death with the details. I'll happily pay a gypsies ransom to sort the problem out I just want it fixed and quickly.
So after getting rid of him I settled down to watch Eastenders the tribuite. Love it or loathe it this is a soap classic. You've got to love Dot Cotton best line ever "My Nicks gorn and I've come out in a rash".
The disappointment to find out that June Brown the actress who plays Dot Cotton is some boring old lovie two sheets to the wind who could barely string a sentence together was devastating. The same went for all of them with Wendy Richards winning the most nauseating self congratulatory luvvie of all time by saying "16 years of wearing Pauline Fowlers smock got me an MBE". Just naff off to your next celebrity gold tournament/charidee event and die in some bizarre choking accident with your MBE.
All of them had that fake posh accent of drama school graduates and not a single one of them had an interesting thing to say. You'd think if you are paid to talk you might have something mildly amusing to say. They have some fantastic characters to act in one of the most popular shows on TV could they think of anything else to say apart from congratulate each other on how "lurverly" they all are. In fact they all had that Dot Cotton strangely dated diction. Whatever.
In conclusions plumbers and actors are about as interesting as each other when it comes to talking about thier work. Stick to the script I say.
Tue 14/08/01 at 17:49
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! O.k. then! Is it me, or did nobody else sort of like, get the point of that?!
Tue 14/08/01 at 19:53
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Yep, it's just you. Nice post.
Thu 16/08/01 at 12:52
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Well excuse me 4 being thick! Actors and plumbers don't really seem 2 go together as far as I'm concerned. True, this is the whole point of the topic but hey!
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:12
"possibly impossible"
Bob Hoskins was a bit like a plumber. Quite a famous plumber. Unfortunately, he wasn't quite enough like that particular plumber to make the film any good. In fact, it's fair to say - he sucked!
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
rattle snake3 wrote:
> Well excuse me 4 being thick!

I don't think we can. There's no excuse for it really in this day and age.

Actors and plumbers don't really seem
> 2 go together as far as I'm concerned. True, this is the whole point
> of the topic but hey!
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:53
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
So what? I'm thick, and there's nuthing U can do about it!
Thu 16/08/01 at 14:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
LOL

Fair enough mate.
Sun 19/08/01 at 22:53
rattle snake3 wrote:
> Well excuse me 4 being thick! Actors and plumbers don't really seem
> 2 go together as far as I'm concerned. True, this is the whole point
> of the topic but hey!

I don't think I was being particuarly cryptic in that post. My point was quite clear i.e. actors and plumbers are about as interesting as each other when it comes to talking about the mechanics of their profession. Simple really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.