GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the way i see it..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/02/04 at 18:02
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
the way i see it, is that soon, there will be a problem. computers are becoming 3 times more powerful every 18months, and therefore, upgrades are needed more and more often, and the games wil get better. but this is where the problem sets in, upgrading a computer is costly, and new games are costly, and as the games get better, they are gonna demand more computer upgrades, until, simply, the cash runs out on the consumer. the consumer, is left with there computer and a handful of overpriced games - and all the new games won't work - due the constant speed of the computer world.

while i love technology, there is only so far it can go before we realise that money is better spent elsewhere -

but heh, until then, we have got SR
Thu 05/02/04 at 18:02
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
the way i see it, is that soon, there will be a problem. computers are becoming 3 times more powerful every 18months, and therefore, upgrades are needed more and more often, and the games wil get better. but this is where the problem sets in, upgrading a computer is costly, and new games are costly, and as the games get better, they are gonna demand more computer upgrades, until, simply, the cash runs out on the consumer. the consumer, is left with there computer and a handful of overpriced games - and all the new games won't work - due the constant speed of the computer world.

while i love technology, there is only so far it can go before we realise that money is better spent elsewhere -

but heh, until then, we have got SR
Fri 06/02/04 at 06:51
Regular
Kingy2000 wrote:
> the way i see it, is that soon, there will be a problem. computers are
> becoming 3 times more powerful every 18months, and therefore,
> upgrades are needed more and more often, and the games wil get
> better. but this is where the problem sets in, upgrading a computer
> is costly, and new games are costly, and as the games get better,
> they are gonna demand more computer upgrades, until, simply, the cash
> runs out on the consumer. the consumer, is left with there computer
> and a handful of overpriced games - and all the new games won't work
> - due the constant speed of the computer world.
>
> while i love technology, there is only so far it can go before we
> realise that money is better spent elsewhere -
>
> but heh, until then, we have got SR

I personally doubt it'll go that far. Eventually, technology will slow down - we're just going through a technological boom at the moment. Also, games will get to the point where the only way they can be improved upon is by Virtual Reality (which we all know is a bad idea - until it can be done properly).

If this 'boom' continues the way it is, all the companies will be in the money and will realise they can get more and more business by lowering prices, which can only be a good thing. They already know it's a bad idea to overprice games (look at the N64 - Excellent concole and games, but could have sold much more if the games were competitively priced).

You really shouldn't worry about technology leaving us behind - the businesses won't allow it as we are their only source of income.
Fri 06/02/04 at 06:52
Regular
Sorry, didn't mean to quote the whole post, I had it there to refer to while I wrote my reply and forgot to delete it.
Fri 06/02/04 at 08:16
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
yeah, good point about the N64 as well. well, i think we can all carry on upgrading for a few years yet...
Fri 06/02/04 at 15:01
Regular
I just make sure I get the best thats out at that current time. I spent £400 on a graphics card a few weeks a go and it will see me well into the next few years of gaming. The only component which changes far too quickly is the CPU which makes it difficult to keep up with the latest hardware as usually a new CPU will require a new mobo. I have 1GB RAM which I woyld imagine will last me for a good while yet. In a few weeks time I am going for 2GB RAM, a new mobo and a new CPU which will last me for a long time to come. The best thing to do is not buy from a shop buy build your own and make sure you get the very best to what you can afford. They don't force you to buy the upgraded parts, its an option for you to take.

The prices from 5 years a go have shot down so in another few years I expect to see prices lowered even further.
Fri 06/02/04 at 15:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
i sent in a post about this to teletext a while ago.
i seems inevitable that as games get more complicated,spending more time in develpoment,that they will either get shorter or will get more expensive.im sure that everyone who has been playing games over the last ten years has noticed that they dont last as long as they used to.
one partial solution would be to cut back on save points making the game last longer,and im sure that the online boom will help,but it is a problem that needs to be looked into.
Fri 06/02/04 at 16:04
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
2gb of ram? why?

i am happy with my 1gb, and it runs everything lightning fast? what do you need 2gb for -

ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I just make sure I get the best thats out at that current time. I
> spent £400 on a graphics card a few weeks a go and it will see
> me well into the next few years of gaming. The only component which
> changes far too quickly is the CPU which makes it difficult to keep
> up with the latest hardware as usually a new CPU will require a new
> mobo. I have 1GB RAM which I woyld imagine will last me for a good
> while yet. In a few weeks time I am going for 2GB RAM, a new mobo and
> a new CPU which will last me for a long time to come. The best thing
> to do is not buy from a shop buy build your own and make sure you get
> the very best to what you can afford. They don't force you to buy the
> upgraded parts, its an option for you to take.
>
> The prices from 5 years a go have shot down so in another few years I
> expect to see prices lowered even further.
Fri 06/02/04 at 16:32
Regular
I don't.. yet. If I buy the same speed RAM from the same company now it will stop complications later.
Fri 06/02/04 at 16:36
I really can't wait 'til we get 30GHz processors.
Fri 06/02/04 at 18:10
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I don't think the increases in computer technology that force higher and higher specs is that much of a problem. The only people it affects are mongo PC users who are hellbent on having the latest technology as soon as it comes out. For the rest of the public who is fine with a mid-range PC, and gets their gaming thrills mainly through the wonders of consoles there isn't a problem!

*Jumps around in joy at the marvels of his Voodoo 3*

:P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.