GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Beauty of Live Music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 20:00
Regular
I am the sort of person that strongly believes in the fact that live music improves the recorded version ten fold. I can’t fathom why some people are so adamant when they say original recordings are better, how can they say this? The give reasons like, “you can’t hear it properly” and “the crowd over power the band”. This is just plain stupid, I think this adds to the effect live music has, you can actually close your eyes and imagine that you are at that concert that you couldn’t afford to go to or was impossible to get to.

Why I believe so strongly that live music is better.

Well, there are numerous reasons, first of all the atmosphere from the crowd. Nothing sounds better, in my opinion, than fans singing to their favourite song and then giving it the ovation it deserves when its finished. Maybe that is the reason I like live music, because, for example, when I hear Sweet Child O’ Mine by Guns N’ Roses or Live Forever by Oasis recorded, I just want to stand on my feet and start clapping but when it is played live, the crowd will be going wild all through the song and give it the ovation that it does deserve.

Another great thing is the fact that songs 99% of the time sound better live. It is hard to explain why this is, but I personally think that they sound more genuine. Also, when a certain band have a great talent like Slash of Guns N’ Roses on the guitar, he is able to explore new heights and express himself to his full potential which improves the song significantly.

Another great thing about live songs is some of the lyrics are changed oh so slightly but this is quite rare. A good example of lyrics being changed to make the song better is Oasis - Cast no Shadow Live at Knebworth. It’s only a slight change but it sounds superb.

Personally, I cannot think of one song that has good quality that downgrades the original effort.

What’s that? Do you think all live music is good?

Certainly not. The only band genre that pulls of great live music, in my opinion, are drum and bass bands. Nothing sounds worse that someone like Christina Aguilera squealing her head off, when I hear this I just want to crawl into a hole and hibernate for a year or two. But on the other hand when I hear Sweet Child O’ Mine live, I feel on top of the world.

Well to end this post, I’m going to post my all time top ten live songs.

10. Guns N’ Roses – Yesterdays ( Live Era 87 – 93). I think the intro to this is great on the Album version, so words cannot express how I feel about the live version.

9. Guns N’ Roses – Don’t Cry (Live Era 87 – 93). Great song, even better live.

8. Oasis – Cast no Shadow (Live at Knebworth). Superb, probably Oasis’ greatest concert.

7. Guns N’ Roses – Welcome to the Jungle (Live Era 87 – 93). I love this song!

6. Oasis – Supersonic (Live at Knebworth). This was featured on the “Definitely Maybe” album and it truly a great song. For anyone that has never heard this, I recommend that you find a way of getting your hands on it, you won’t be disappointed.

5. Guns N’ Roses – Knockin’ On Heavens Door (Live Era 87 – 93). This is one of their greatest songs and it easy to see why once you have listened to it.

4. U2 – With or Without You (Rattle and Hum Version). This is one of the greatest songs ever, and I thought that it could not get any better but how wrong I was.

3. Oasis – The Masterplan (MTV Unplugged). Sounds magnificent with the orchestra playing along with Noel!

2. Oasis – Live Forever (MTV Unplugged). This is Oasis’ best song; well that’s what I think anyway.

1. Guns N’ Roses – Sweet Child O’ Mine (Live Era 87 – 93). This has to be my favourite song ever bar none. It has, in my view, the greatest guitar solo in history. Slash truly is one of the greatest musicians of all time.

Thanks for reading
Atomic_Koala

( I bet you can’t guess who my two favourite bands are? ;) )
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:00
I am the sort of person that strongly believes in the fact that live music improves the recorded version ten fold. I can’t fathom why some people are so adamant when they say original recordings are better, how can they say this? The give reasons like, “you can’t hear it properly” and “the crowd over power the band”. This is just plain stupid, I think this adds to the effect live music has, you can actually close your eyes and imagine that you are at that concert that you couldn’t afford to go to or was impossible to get to.

Why I believe so strongly that live music is better.

Well, there are numerous reasons, first of all the atmosphere from the crowd. Nothing sounds better, in my opinion, than fans singing to their favourite song and then giving it the ovation it deserves when its finished. Maybe that is the reason I like live music, because, for example, when I hear Sweet Child O’ Mine by Guns N’ Roses or Live Forever by Oasis recorded, I just want to stand on my feet and start clapping but when it is played live, the crowd will be going wild all through the song and give it the ovation that it does deserve.

Another great thing is the fact that songs 99% of the time sound better live. It is hard to explain why this is, but I personally think that they sound more genuine. Also, when a certain band have a great talent like Slash of Guns N’ Roses on the guitar, he is able to explore new heights and express himself to his full potential which improves the song significantly.

Another great thing about live songs is some of the lyrics are changed oh so slightly but this is quite rare. A good example of lyrics being changed to make the song better is Oasis - Cast no Shadow Live at Knebworth. It’s only a slight change but it sounds superb.

Personally, I cannot think of one song that has good quality that downgrades the original effort.

What’s that? Do you think all live music is good?

Certainly not. The only band genre that pulls of great live music, in my opinion, are drum and bass bands. Nothing sounds worse that someone like Christina Aguilera squealing her head off, when I hear this I just want to crawl into a hole and hibernate for a year or two. But on the other hand when I hear Sweet Child O’ Mine live, I feel on top of the world.

Well to end this post, I’m going to post my all time top ten live songs.

10. Guns N’ Roses – Yesterdays ( Live Era 87 – 93). I think the intro to this is great on the Album version, so words cannot express how I feel about the live version.

9. Guns N’ Roses – Don’t Cry (Live Era 87 – 93). Great song, even better live.

8. Oasis – Cast no Shadow (Live at Knebworth). Superb, probably Oasis’ greatest concert.

7. Guns N’ Roses – Welcome to the Jungle (Live Era 87 – 93). I love this song!

6. Oasis – Supersonic (Live at Knebworth). This was featured on the “Definitely Maybe” album and it truly a great song. For anyone that has never heard this, I recommend that you find a way of getting your hands on it, you won’t be disappointed.

5. Guns N’ Roses – Knockin’ On Heavens Door (Live Era 87 – 93). This is one of their greatest songs and it easy to see why once you have listened to it.

4. U2 – With or Without You (Rattle and Hum Version). This is one of the greatest songs ever, and I thought that it could not get any better but how wrong I was.

3. Oasis – The Masterplan (MTV Unplugged). Sounds magnificent with the orchestra playing along with Noel!

2. Oasis – Live Forever (MTV Unplugged). This is Oasis’ best song; well that’s what I think anyway.

1. Guns N’ Roses – Sweet Child O’ Mine (Live Era 87 – 93). This has to be my favourite song ever bar none. It has, in my view, the greatest guitar solo in history. Slash truly is one of the greatest musicians of all time.

Thanks for reading
Atomic_Koala

( I bet you can’t guess who my two favourite bands are? ;) )
Mon 13/08/01 at 23:27
Fave live songs:

Metallica: Nothing else matters.

Radiohead: Creep, thom just does it so damn well.

S.F.A.: the Man Don't give a F%$k. Cian goes into wonderful techno sutff at the end of a gig.
Tue 14/08/01 at 00:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agree with you 100% on bands live, from both sides of the fence.

Fav gigs so far?
Clutch - Camden Underworld. Awesome, awesome band, my favourite group ever. 3ft away from me, handing the mic to the crowd to sing along, seeing them play the songs differently - stretching them into a jam and not just banging the song out exactly like the album.

Cement - Camden Underworld.
Chuck Mosley (ex-Faith No More).
Saw him sitting at the bar, bought him a drink and we talked for 30 mins. Only about 100 people in the place, Chuck dedicated the set to me and my mates.

Pink Floyd - Earls Court.
Everything was perfect. The arena, the light show, the songs, the lasers...everything totalled a blinding gig.

And I agree from the other side as well, playing in a band.
I live for playing live to people.
The recording is ok, but it takes a while and there's no real energy there. You have to pysch yourself up before playing. Personally, I go outside the studio with a walkman and listen to Clutch, so I can come in and hit my kit like my life depends on it.

Live however...now THAT is one of the best experiences you can imagine.
From sitting there as people start to file in, setting up and waiting. Whenever I play, I have to play in shorts and bare feet, too hot. So my pre-gig routine is to stand out back, warm up and bounce around like a mentalist.

You get up there, sit behind the kit and look out to see everyone standing there. Chris starts the riff to Saints and Cynics and we're off for 50 mins.

And for that time, any time I look out people are smiling, singing along, dancing and loving it.
You feed off the energy, the crowd is into it and that makes you play harder and give it more.

Amazing, fantastic and beats any drug you can think of.
To see that people are into your music, to be able to look out and realise you're rocking is brilliant.

People may like the CDs, but face to face you can see what you do

Live music is a perfect, beautiful thing and long may it reign.
Tue 14/08/01 at 16:15
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The smallest concert I've been to (as in venue and crowd size) was Faith No More at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall, December 1st 1997 and no concert before or since has come close to it for sheer enjoyment, atmosphere or spine tingleyness.

Favourite live songs include:-

Faith No More - Crack Hitler, Naked In Front Of The Computer, As The Worm Turns, Digging The Grave and the fantastic Stripsearch.

Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun, Toys and Eat The Rich

Metallica - Ain't My 8itch, Enter Sandman, One (amazing) and a Sex Pistols track they opened their October 93 gig at the NEC with.

Manic Street Preachers - Australia

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away, Super Soul Fighter
Wed 15/08/01 at 09:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nice one Atomic.
Wed 15/08/01 at 09:36
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Well done.
Wed 15/08/01 at 09:45
Thanks guys.
Tue 21/08/01 at 20:03
Best Live Songs:

Feeder - High
U2 - Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Blink 182 - What's My Age Again?
Queen - Any Song

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.