GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Peripheral Vision"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 19:47
Regular
Ever looked donw at the pad in your hand and thought...."you know what? That controller is so dull."? I know I have. But what are the controllers designers going to be able to add to our pads to keep us interested in them?

Over the years companies have made bigger (not literally, in some cases it is though) and better pads, increasing the options for the game developers to add into their games.

Want to see what I mean? Go and search for that old Nes pad and then stick it next to a Gamecube pad diagram....f you ask me the Nes pad, which was good for its time (finally gamers had a button for jumping instead of having to push up) is now going to be looking decidedly crusty.

Take for example the amount of buttons, which honestly isn't that important, the Nes pad was very basic. All it had was a d-pad, start and select and an A and B button. Now list out the GAMECUBES buttons (first book a few weeks off work). The GAMECUBES buttons are, a d-pad, A, B, X, Y, start, a c-stick, analog stick, L and R. Also underneath the L and R buttons are two concealed triggers that get pressed when the shoulder buttons are fully pressed in. Get my point??? The Nes pad is now looking very out of date. It did its job for its time, but now it would just not be enough.

You may be wondering what the point of this topic is, I know I would be. Well the point of it is, what are the pads designers going to be able to add to the consoles that follow the 128 bit era? Over the years many new ideas have been attached to our pads, but what on earth can be added next?

New ideas have been brought forward all the time, with our pads getting more and more confusing, L and R triggers have been added, Analog sticks are now a normal feature and no longer do we just have two buttons. Our pads have changed in a big way.

Here are some of the ideas I would have for a new pad on any of the new consoles, that follow the 128 bit power houses.

Pressure sensitive buttons

When I say that I don't mean like the analog buttons that have now been added to the Dual Shock 2 pads, I mean a button that can be easier or harder to push in. Say for example you are playing Zelda and you come to a box to push, its obviously going to be heavy, so the button you need to push could respond to this by being harder to push in, making it seem like you are actually pushing something heavy. It would be reversed for something easier though, say a soft enemy. You go to hit it with your sword, but as it is soft the button slides in really easily.

Heat pads

What I mean by this is a pad that adjusts itself to the environment you are in. So ay for example you were inside the crater of a volcanoe, the pad itself would heat up to show you are inside a warm place. Again for a cold place it would go cold, to represent a cold place.

These are just my ideas of course, I am sure work is already underway for the next generation of pads. Hopefully when they finally arrive, not for some time, they will surprise me and make me interested in the way I am playing the game, not only the game I am playing.

Thanks for reading.

St*rsailor
Mon 13/08/01 at 19:47
Regular
"<];o)"
Ever looked donw at the pad in your hand and thought...."you know what? That controller is so dull."? I know I have. But what are the controllers designers going to be able to add to our pads to keep us interested in them?

Over the years companies have made bigger (not literally, in some cases it is though) and better pads, increasing the options for the game developers to add into their games.

Want to see what I mean? Go and search for that old Nes pad and then stick it next to a Gamecube pad diagram....f you ask me the Nes pad, which was good for its time (finally gamers had a button for jumping instead of having to push up) is now going to be looking decidedly crusty.

Take for example the amount of buttons, which honestly isn't that important, the Nes pad was very basic. All it had was a d-pad, start and select and an A and B button. Now list out the GAMECUBES buttons (first book a few weeks off work). The GAMECUBES buttons are, a d-pad, A, B, X, Y, start, a c-stick, analog stick, L and R. Also underneath the L and R buttons are two concealed triggers that get pressed when the shoulder buttons are fully pressed in. Get my point??? The Nes pad is now looking very out of date. It did its job for its time, but now it would just not be enough.

You may be wondering what the point of this topic is, I know I would be. Well the point of it is, what are the pads designers going to be able to add to the consoles that follow the 128 bit era? Over the years many new ideas have been attached to our pads, but what on earth can be added next?

New ideas have been brought forward all the time, with our pads getting more and more confusing, L and R triggers have been added, Analog sticks are now a normal feature and no longer do we just have two buttons. Our pads have changed in a big way.

Here are some of the ideas I would have for a new pad on any of the new consoles, that follow the 128 bit power houses.

Pressure sensitive buttons

When I say that I don't mean like the analog buttons that have now been added to the Dual Shock 2 pads, I mean a button that can be easier or harder to push in. Say for example you are playing Zelda and you come to a box to push, its obviously going to be heavy, so the button you need to push could respond to this by being harder to push in, making it seem like you are actually pushing something heavy. It would be reversed for something easier though, say a soft enemy. You go to hit it with your sword, but as it is soft the button slides in really easily.

Heat pads

What I mean by this is a pad that adjusts itself to the environment you are in. So ay for example you were inside the crater of a volcanoe, the pad itself would heat up to show you are inside a warm place. Again for a cold place it would go cold, to represent a cold place.

These are just my ideas of course, I am sure work is already underway for the next generation of pads. Hopefully when they finally arrive, not for some time, they will surprise me and make me interested in the way I am playing the game, not only the game I am playing.

Thanks for reading.

St*rsailor
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:00
Hmm, this is a good post sailor. Hmm, looks like we have some competition right from the start.
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:03
Regular
"<];o)"
Thanks for that DJ, just having fun writing some good posts. Like your tagline by the way, very funny.
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:28
Regular
"A square watermelon"
Another good post :)

First time I've seen a JAT who hasn't got fried for netspeak AND posts good quailty topics.
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:41
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
from the posts ive read of yours mr sailor dude , you are very wise (much wiser than my withered little 13 year old brain ) i think you'll be one of the biggest GAD winners of all time, but remember , that isn't the only reason we post here , come to my other post here and see what you think :
http://ukchatforums .reserve.co.uk/display _messages.php?threadid=16412 &forumid=132

remove the spaces in the address to view it (it's too long to put down without spaces in it ! stupid really )
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:43
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
ooops , sorry st*sailor , i forgot to say ..... WELL DONE !
Mon 13/08/01 at 21:43
St*rsailor wrote:
> Thanks for that DJ, just having fun writing some good posts. Like
> your tagline by the way, very funny.

Oh, I've just changed it too. Not based on your opinion, of course. Time for a change, that's all.
Tue 14/08/01 at 09:30
Regular
"<];o)"
Has anyone here got any ideas for new pad ideas??? Surely someone has, anyone????

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 09:59
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Apart from force feedback (the Resisting buttons thing) theres not much you can do.

In the papers there was that pad that could give you an electric shock when you were hit, but I dont fancy it all that much.

The latest technology is motion sensors. Sony are working on this software, that you plug a webcam into the USB port, and it can sense your actual movements and get your onscreen character to mimic them. Its still in its ewarly stages, with the camera being able to track a ball on a stick, and then let on-screen characters realtime interact with it, but that was sometime last year. Who knows what it is doing now.
Tue 14/08/01 at 10:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Throw away your control pads, your dual shocks, your rumble paks, your analogue steering wheels and your fishing rods.

Don...The Data Gloves!!!

Infra-red signal transference to your console! Force feedback and pressure sensitivity built in! Gameplay mimics your hand movments, so if you pretend to steer left, so does the vehicle in the game! If you points a finger and pretend to squeeze the trigger, you shoot someone!

Great for point and click games, ideal for beat 'em ups, and you'll never have to buy any other fancy high-priced peripheral ever again!!!!

Data Gloves: In the making since 1970, release date the year dot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.