GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiplayer Madness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 18:17
Regular
Multiplayer??? Is it a nessecity to you? For me a games multiplayer really makes me want to play it. However dull a games 1 player is sometimes it has a multiplayer mode that saves it from the bottom of the drawer.

Is it the same for you??? Or have you actually bought a console in particular just to play a certain games multiplayer?

Take for example the N64 and Dreamcast (may you rest in peace), these consoles stick out at me as the multiplayer consoles at the moment. Not so many people I know would go and buy a Sony console in the hope of some 4 player antics, maybe some of you have, and if so I want to hear why?

It may be the obvious reason that makes me think this, which is the obvious, it doesn't have 4 controller sockets. I think that because of this some people looking for a multiplayer match will not want to have to splash out on a multi tap. I know some people do, but the majority of us won't want to have to pay out again.

This for me puts the N64 and Dreamcast in pole position in the multiplayer stakes. Another good reason for this is the type of games that are released on each format.

Take the N64 and then name some of the great, memorable multiplayer games it has. Not hard is it? Now do this for the Dreamcast, again not very hard. But now try it for the Ps, for me it is very hard. Only a few names spring to mind.

So here are my reasons for thinking that the N64 and Dreamcast are more multiplayer orientated in there games and the way the console is based.

Who agrees? Who disagrees? Share your views with me.
Tue 14/08/01 at 02:25
Regular
I think playing multiplayer accross the Internet was a big step forward in technology......

Some games can be fun to play on your own on a rainy day, but you can feel iscolated from the world sometimes, which is why playing other people across the Internet solves that problem.

---

Ive got Championship Manger and will get the new one aswell, but I have never played it accross the Internet....

Im not sure how youre meant to play a management game like this but it is possible because my friend has done.....

Has anyone else played CM online?
Mon 13/08/01 at 22:50
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I have to agree that Dreamcast and N64 have the best multiplayer games around. PS dosen't have that many top class multiplayer games, not im my view anyway.
Mon 13/08/01 at 21:58
That's what all the mags say.
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:06
Regular
"<];o)"
Hehe....has anyone on these forums got a Virtual Boy??? If so is it any good? I heard that it gives a lot of people migranes because you have to stare at that tiny black and red screen through the eye peice.
Mon 13/08/01 at 19:34
ALthough prior to purchasing a N64 I was quite addicted to every console made by Nintendo (except for the Virtual Boy, that is), and was very much considering purchasing a N64, it wasn't until after a 4-player birthday bash on Goldeneye that I actually got mine in.
Mon 13/08/01 at 19:30
Damn, I've noticed that as a regular, I should say more.
Mon 13/08/01 at 19:04
The perfect multiplayer is something like on Perfect Dark or on ISS Pro Evo 2, I have bought these games because they are great to play when you've got mates around but they have great single player modes.

The Playstation games lacked a great multiplayer game and only having 2 ports doesn't help matters. If Sony were to create a console with at least 4 ports then maybe that would bring in more developers that create better multiplayer games.

It would help Sony's multiplayers if they did not have to pay extra for a multi-tap
Mon 13/08/01 at 18:53
Regular
"<];o)"
Well said Your Honour, I couldn't have said it better...no I mean it, I couldn't as you have seen.
Mon 13/08/01 at 18:50
Regular
I think that the N64 was definately de-signed with Multiplayer in mind, as was the DC. The PS2? I'm not sure. It does only have 2 ports, but there is a multitap out. But why didn't Sony just put 4 controller ports into the main unit? To get more money as people would want the multitap? Possibly.

Nintendo wanted to show off what the N64 could do, which is why 4 player Mario Kart was a luanch title (I think, if not it was pretty close to the launch). Goldeneye followed swiftly after, setting the standard for multiplayer on consoles.

I feel that a console game has to have a multiplayer. Thats what sets console gaming apart from PC gaming, in my book anyway. Console gaming is about sitting around a mates house, a load of beer, some pizzas, and playing multiplayer all night. For that to work, you really need four players. Otherwise there'll always be a couple of people sitting out.

With PC gaming I'm not too bothered about a multiplayer mode. PC gaming, to me, is about playing single player, I don't know why, but I use my console for multiplayer, and PC for single. It could be because it's more sociable playing multiplayer on a console. You can relax in someones living room, rather than sit hunched round a computer desk.

The 'Cube and the XBox both have four controller ports, they're banking on their machines being used as a social activity, rather than a solitary one. Nintnedo already have the games to make use of the four player, MarioKart and the Perfect Dark sequels will both have 4 player modes, I'd imagine.

I think that the 'Cube and the XBox will have more four player games than the PS2 though. Developers for the PS2 may think "Oh, it's ok, there's only 2 controller ports on the PS2 and not everyone has a multi-tap, so we'll only give a 2 player mode." Whereas with the XBox and the 'Cube it's more of a neccesity as there are 4 ports on the actual machine.
Mon 13/08/01 at 18:42
perfect dark on the N64 has the best multiplayer mode i have in a game. its really all i play on the console and you can have up to 8 computers in stead of humans. or 4 humans and 8 simulants and arrange teams and bases so on...

the red faction multiplayer is similar but nowhere near the same amount of features- but yes, multiplayer mode does save me reaching to the bottom of the draw. but i dont like multiplayer modes where there are no computer simulants as my sister has practically never even seen my ps2..or psx..or N64 even.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.