GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This is what annoys me!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 16:35
Regular
Yes once again about music and once again using Radiohead as an example :).

I just had a look at Top of the Pops web-site to see how Knives Out done... as I don't listen to top 40 on Radio as 87% is cack and well I was drinking lots of water last night. I wasn't expecting a number 1 from it but at least a top 10 if not top 5. Pyramid Song got number 5 even know I prefer Knives Out to it. I think it got number 5 as they had not released a single in ages and was first from album so fans got it for glimpse of new album and B-sides etc.

Anyway it got NUMBER 13 (unlucky for some). Ok, many of you may not like Radiohead and say that it too good for it. This is not about Radiohead, it is about giving credit too where credit is due.

Number 1 this week is song I don't know so I cannot comment on it but I can guess it is some crappy pop number. Second which is last weeks number 1 is Atomic Kitten (were going to be called Nuclear P***y). Cover of somebody elses and probablt took 5 mins to do and then it gets number 1 because all these silly people buy it :D. The number 3... Jenifer Lopez... a song pretending she speaks Spanish. The list goes on.

It really, really annoys me how this crap gets number 1's... so maybe even if pop was taken out Radiohead would still never get number 1 as they are ahead of their time for some peope, and too complicated.

What I like is.... you should only really judge a band I feel to see where their album got to. Most of these pop idots don't have albums as they can only do a few covers and maybe one song somebody else wrote.

Radiohead many number 1 albums worldwide so they rock :D. In saying that a band can also be brilliant but albums don't go brilliant, say their first release etc.

Hmmmm

What I am trying to say is... don't judge a band on how good their song does in charts and at the end of the day who is going to be remembered more Atomic Kitten or Radiohead?

And in saying that I am never going to look at top 40 list agains as it fills me with rage.

Just an extra little note I forgot to add up there ^.

Songs like Fake Plastic Trees... which is excellent got number 20... I could go on forever using many bands and songs and positions but at the end of the day...

POP is talentless and moronic... if you like it fine, your choice. Just don't say they are talented or deserved it or look up too them in any way :D

A thank you
Mon 20/08/01 at 19:56
"possibly impossible"
So now would probably be a good time to mention that I work in the same office as Neil Hannon's brother?!

Pb - ashamed at himself for namedropping!
Mon 20/08/01 at 18:52
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
misterhappy wrote:
> Okay The Simths thing really has clouded the issue. You surely know
> 'Some Girls are Bigger than Others' by the Smiths, well 'Knives Out'
> is very similar to that.

I think I was a bit generous with my wording there. I couldn't call myslef a 'fan' but they've done some stuff I like.

> I can appreciate that you are trying to understand why people like
> Radiohead when you don't. But you have the typical modus operandi of
> a Radiohead fan.. Smiths, Divine Comedy, do you like the Cure?

I adore The Divine Comedy! I can't really see how the taste of their fanbase can be compared to that of Radiohead though. Even their, how shall I say, less lively songs have a quality edge to them that make them stand out from the crowd. I seem to remember that their latest album, Regeneration, had the same producer as Radiohead and it was largely awful (with the exception of Love What You Do and maybe Perfect Lovesong). Given that the two new tracks on their 'Best of' album (Too Young To Die and, especially, Gin Soaked Boy) are both so good it surprised me how much I hated their latest offering.

As for The Cure they get a moderate thumbs up in my book but not for a great deal of their stuff. Friday I'm In Love is one of my all time faves though, but that's quite 'poppy'.

As
> confusing as this all may be I refuse to give up until you convert
> to liking Radiohead or they award us both the filmaday prize.

I think the latter is more likely ;)

If we're not careful this is going to turn into another SmokedKipper vs Goatboy style topic (the previous subject being the film American Beauty). At least we're both being nice about it.
Sun 19/08/01 at 18:26
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Okay The Simths thing really has clouded the issue. You surely know 'Some Girls are Bigger than Others' by the Smiths, well 'Knives Out' is very similar to that.

Look at the Smiths. Now get the band line-up pictured in your mind. Replace Morrissey with Thom Yorke, and replace Johnny Marr with Jonny Greenwood. There you've got Radiohead.

I'm confused now because I thought you didn't like Radiohead on the grounds that they are proponents of depression-rock. Yet you like the Smiths. So you really must just not like Radiohead's music.

Please buy 'the Bends' as it is a great album and it's easily the most likeable album Radiohead have made. Listen to Fake Plastic Trees, it is a wonderful song. Or listen to Street Spirit. These are classic songs nd their greatness is such that it cannot be defined, it needs to be experienced.

I think their may be some double-recessive gene that cause people to dislike Radiohead... it must be prevalent in the Kipper population. I can appreciate that you are trying to understand why people like Radiohead when you don't. But you have the typical modus operandi of a Radiohead fan.. Smiths, Divine Comedy, do you like the Cure?

As confusing as this all may be I refuse to give up until you convert to liking Radiohead or they award us both the filmaday prize.
Sun 19/08/01 at 11:05
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
misterhappy wrote:
I think it's a bit unfair to say
> that Radiohead lyrics cannot mean anything just because Noel
> Gallagher admits writing nonsense.

That's not what I meant. I used the example to illustrate that people can read what they want to read into anything, regardless of whether there is anything there to be read. I also meant this as a general term and wasn't intending to single out Radiohead.

Okay I'll grant you that lyrical
> interpretations are often entirely subjective,

That's more what I meant.

> I think the phrase 'kicking, screaming Gucci
> little Piggy' is a great lyric.

I don't.

This springs to mind as something I like:

"It's four o'clock and all's not well
in my private circle of hell
I contemplate my navel hair
and slowly slide into despair
This rut has fast become a trench
This smell has turned into the stench
of rotten dreams and stale ideals
The past is snapping at my heels"

From "Through a Long and Sleepless Night" by The Divine Comedy - Neil Hannon is pure class!

"We're drinking to life
We're drinking to death
We're drinking 'til none of our
Livers are left"

From "A Drinking Song", also by The Divine Comedy (I'm a bit of a fan). Not a flash use of English but it just makes me laugh.

> It
> makes sense because one day you will think back to the times when
> you didn't "get" Radiohead and rue those days. You will
> curse those days that could have been spent profitably listening to
> Radiohead had it not been for your completely foolish dislike of
> them. Think in the long-term and you can pull through.

It's not going to happen. I still just cannot understand it. You're not going to win because my mind isn't going to be changed. I'd really like to at least understand their appeal even if I still hate them but I'm still baffled by it all.

Sorry.

Just to add to the confusion I think I should point out that I do like The Smiths.
Sun 19/08/01 at 01:05
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The hedgehog joke was etched on to my brain by NTNON, yes it was indeed pure class...

... which makes your not liking Radiohead even more strange. Despite your fishlike form you seem to be capable of appreciating the genius of NTNON, so why not Radiohead?

This might turn into a long drawn out argument but I have the advantage of knowing that I will win it. Why? Because Radiohead are the best band Britain has produced since, at least the Smiths, if not the Beatles. One thing I forgot to mention was their truly incandescent live form. It's no wonder that their shows sell out in hours.
OK Computer was the first album that really got me into music. I borrowed it off a friend and Paranoid Android had me hooked. I then bought the CD off him and since then my music collection has swelled to some 200+ cds and about twice as many mp3s. They were the band that opened my eyes. And, being as I said a seminal band, they opened lots of new doors for me.
I think it's a bit unfair to say that Radiohead lyrics cannot mean anything just because Noel Gallagher admits writing nonsense. Okay I'll grant you that lyrical interpretations are often entirely subjective, but that doesn't mean they cannot be great. I think the phrase 'kicking, screaming Gucci little Piggy' is a great lyric. Then listen to a song like 'Exit Music (for a film)'. It uses a really understated musical backdrop to display Thom's singing, and the lyrics, to good effect, then near to the end there's a drum roll and the song bursts into life. It is a brilliantly constructed song.
Finally, Radiohead fall into a long line of angst bands. Bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. Their music fills a void left by these great bands. Also, with songs like 'Creep', you can really earn the loser-chic points by listening to Radiohead.
Kipper you may be Smoked and averse to Radiohead, but we can change that (slightly). If you come to terms with the fact that you are always going to be smoked, that's one of your problems put behind you. Then you should succumb to Radiohead. It makes sense because one day you will think back to the times when you didn't "get" Radiohead and rue those days. You will curse those days that could have been spent profitably listening to Radiohead had it not been for your completely foolish dislike of them. Think in the long-term and you can pull through.
Doctorhappy prescribes you all 5 Radiohead albums and recommends that you listen to them back to back... twice. If you're still not cured report back and I'll see what I can do.
Sat 18/08/01 at 09:43
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Good response. It makes a change from someone saying "(insert band name here) are the best 'cos I like them".

To be honest though, it hasn't helped, I still can't see any appeal there. I don't think 'great lyrics' isn't a term that can properly be applied. The same song may mean everything to some people and nothing to others whether they understand what it's about or not (assuming it has a meaning in the first place).

As an example look at all the people who rate Noel Gallagher as a songwriter (or at least rated). He himself has spoken out saying that his lyrics don't mean anything and he just writes what he thinks sounds good.

Speaking of lyrics brings me to another point. Thom Yorke's voice annoys me, not just because it's awful (although that does go with the style of the band ;) ) but because I just cannot understand half of the things he's saying through all the mumbled whining.

I've got a few Radiohead songs on various compilation albums (including several of the ones you earmarked). I'm going to make an effort and have a really good listen to them today to see if that helps.

By the way, my tagline isn't from The Usual Suspects. It has two meanings.

Firstly, the inability to feel my legs stems from the implication that I am fish and, as such, do not have any legs to feel.

Secondly, it is also a vague reference to a 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' sketch in which a patient lying a hospitol bed says to the nurse 'I can't feel my legs' and she responds by saying 'Yes, I'm sorry, we've had to amputate your arms'. Pure class!
Sat 18/08/01 at 00:22
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
If the quote underneath your name is from the Usual Suspects then you are obviously a man of good taste Smokedkipper. So it really doesn't make sense that you wouldn't like Radiohead. Okay I will grant you that Kid A and Amnesiac are not everyone's cup of tea. However, the Bends and OK Computer are two timeless classics. Pablo Honey contains 'Creep', one of the sseminal songs of the whole 90's.
So why should you like Radiohead? Firstly they are a seminal band. If you like a recent band and trace back their roots you will be quite likely to arrive at Radiohead. Look at Travis, Coldplay, Muse, Starsailor, Elbow... there are many many bands who derive their style from the great Radiohead.
Let's face it though, that's not a great reason for liking a band. If you listen to Radiohead then you will hear incredibly constructed songs. They were one of the first bands to use a three guitar line-up. Add to this Thom Yorke's vocals and some quite exceptional lyrics and you come out with a really good band. Radiohead are great because they are more than the sum of their parts. When they were around I used to be a 3 Colours Red fan. This band's problem was that they were all good individual musicians but they never combined effectively. On the other hand Radiohead combine to devastating effect, Jonny Greenwood is an outstanding guitarist and Thom Yorke is an excellent singer, these two alone have made possible classics like 'Creep'.
Do you like 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen? Then listen to Paranoid Android! It's a song which could easily be three seperate songs, yet it's seamlessy linked together. And when you listen to it you cannot ignore the musical masterpiece that it is. Again, though, OK computer was not universally loved. The Bends is often placed above it in all time best album charts. If you don't like the Bends then you are never going to like Radiohead. For the Bends is simply flawless. Every track on it is capable of being a single.
Now what else could possibly attract you to Radiohead? Their videos! If you have MTV then you should look out for Radiohead songs as they are always blessed with damn good videos. Paranoid Android has been my favourite so far, but Karma Police is good, as is Knives Out, and so too Pyramid Song. And i almost forgot Street Spirit. If you were to judge a song by three criteria: video, song and repeat value, Street Spirit would beat every band hands down... (unless the band had a Spike Jonze directed video. Street Spirit starts with a haunting guitar melody (that is very hard to play) and has a video famously featuring trampolining Nuns and i have never got bored with it.
Radiohead rock in an entirely compulsory way, if you don't get it then one day you will.
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:02
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Could someone please put into words what exactly it is that they like about Radiohead as I'd really like to be able to understand their appeal?

There are many bands and styles of music out there that I don't like but can still (just about) see how people could enjoy them. People voluntarily listening to Rdiohead just baffles me.

I'm not trying to provoke angry responses, I'd really like to know!
Fri 17/08/01 at 18:22
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
DavidD... man where did you learn to spell?
NB it's according to whom, not who
there and they're are two different words.

geez.
Oh yes I nearly forgot, please do not insult Radiohead. You may not like Pop music, and that's fine by me, but not liking Radiohead! What are you playing at?!

Radiohead are visionaries; you should realise that they are one of the most successful contempory bands across the pond in the US. Amnesiac and Kid A have both got to number one over there, beating artists such as Uncle Kracker (I'm assuming he's a favourite of yours).
So what music do you like davidD? Metal? Even if you look to metal then you see respect for Radiohead, take Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Okay he is only metal if you talk about metal in terms of what HMV cram into their metal section, but he said that Kid A was his favourite album of the year. Chino Moreno of the Deftones is a known fan of Radiohead. Radiohead are one of the greatest bands to have emerged from the UK since the Smiths. Yes my friend, they are better than Oasis.
So next time let's all show some respect to those fine men from Oxfordshire. They may not have chart success at the moment (No.13 for Knives Out is a travesty) but one day we will all look back and smile nostalgically at their greatness.
Fri 17/08/01 at 11:46
add
"in my opinion"
to the bottom of that

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.