GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"progressive scan"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/02/04 at 20:46
Regular
"..."
What exactly is progressive scan ? I saw it in many ps2 games .. Can anyone tell me what it is ?
Sun 08/02/04 at 20:46
Regular
"..."
What exactly is progressive scan ? I saw it in many ps2 games .. Can anyone tell me what it is ?
Mon 09/02/04 at 11:35
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
It's a type of TV display, search on google for full definition.
Mon 09/02/04 at 12:25
Regular
Basically, a standard TV display is constructed by scanning alternately the odd and even lines. This is called "interlacing", and results in a slightly flicker image. Progressive scan is where every line of the image is scanned in one pass, improving clarity by reducing flicker.

Some modern TVs can receive and display a progressive scan signal, and all HDTVs have it as standard. A lot of DVD players will output progressive scan, when combined with a compatible TV result in a great image.
Mon 09/02/04 at 12:50
Regular
"..."
So , does this progressive scan make games play in 60 hz mode ?
Mon 09/02/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Not directly, if you have a PAL Cube and a 50/60mhz compatible game, hold down B on start up and after a few seconds you get the option to choose 50 or 60mhz,
Regular
My non-progressive scan TV plays games in 60Hz. You simply need a NTSC-compatible TV to play 60Hz modes - Progressive Scan doesn't really come into it.
Regular
Gah! Beaten to it!
Mon 09/02/04 at 13:06
Regular
"..."
Does that mean if I want to use progressive scan option in a game , I can't use 60 hz at the same time , right ?
Mon 09/02/04 at 13:11
Regular
Think so. They're two different display formats. Progressive scan work on 100Hz*

*Don't quote me on that
Mon 09/02/04 at 16:07
Regular
"Moody DJ"
As far as I knew, Progressive Scan is for Plasma TVs, if you try and use it on a normal TV it'll booger it up! Since plasma TVs don't use a refresh rate of HZ, that doesn't come into it at all. If you play a game in Prog Scan mode it won't be 50 or 60HZ, it'll just be Progressive Scan.

I COULD be wrong, but thats what I was led to believe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.