GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MY top 5 arcade games of all time!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 12:14
Regular
Inspired by FM's top 20 question, would Space Invaders be in there? I started thinking about the arcade games that I used to love to play, and this, in no particular order, is my top 5.

Double Dragon: In a local coffee shop they had a couple of arcade games, and this was one of them. We used to go in there with all of our 10p pieces, and play for as long as we could afford.

It was quite a simple concept, two guys beating the crap out of the bad guys, scrolling along, always to the right. What made it special was playing with a friend, rather than against them. Those Double Dragons were cool, and the game was quite tough. I still remember the final boss coming out, guns blazing, running around everywhere. If you were on your last credit when you got here, you were finished!

Gauntlet: 4 players, at the same time. Working together. Fantastic. 4 great characters to choose from too, Warrir, Elf, Valkyre(?) and Wizard. It was a simply case of finding the dungeon exit, taking on ghosts, grunts, goblins, and other enemies along the way. Then there were the keys. It was rather frustrating that you could reach the exit, only to find it behind a locked section, with enemies piling in behind you. Your onlyoption would be to turn round, face the enemies, and go find that key! And those scary dark guys - the ones that touched you and drained your energy - they gave me nightmares!

Untitled football game: I'm sure this game had a name, but where I played it most, it was in one of those dodgy universal cabinets, and I don't remember seeing the title screen! Anyway, it was a decent football sim, with you taking on an International side, and trying to win a knockout tournement. The real joy was in being able to punch other players, flying kick other players, pull down other players. This added a whole new game to the arcade football, with you having to knock that last defender out, rob him of the ball, and beat the keeper! The football side of it was great to, with many different types of shot available,inculding some super strike, that I managed to pull of in the last minute of a semi final against Italy, giving me a 3-2 win. Fantastic stuff!

The Simpsons: Again a four player game, this one much like Double Dragon in play, take your character along the scrolling levels to try to save young Maggie Simpson. What made this game special was the special Simpsons brand of humour throughout it. The game was rather tough to, with some great enemies. The most difficult level was a dream sequence level, man that was hard! Another great feature of this game was the ability to 'double-team' the enemy. Different combinations did different things to, such as Bart with Marge, or Homer with Lisa. It was great fun!

Street Fighter 2: It was 'Mean Machines' magaine that introduced me to this game. Yes, the magazine that has since devolved into NOM. What I found truely spectacular about this game initially was the choice of characters. 8! Wow, had any beat 'em-up before offered this? None to my knowledge, and I was hooked! Then I discovered the special moves, the hurricane kicks, the hundren hand slap, the sonic boom!

I started off as a Blanka player, given the ease of his special moves, and managed to get as far as Vega. How Vega plagued me. It was only with E Honda that I was able to beat him, but then he was easy meat for Sagat! It was only when I got this game for the SNES that I managed to meet and beat M Bison!

Not much recent there, is there? I guess that's because I don't live near any arcades, and when I do venture into any these days it's the fruit machines that get my attention, yep the low jackpot, novelty fruit machines, like The Pink Panther, like Eastenders, they draw me in, thinking I can actually profit from them, and I leave the games alone.

Silly, foolish me!
Mon 13/08/01 at 13:24
Regular
"How Handy."
Meka, this is likely to put you off Fruit Machines.

My dad has a company selling spares for amusement and vending machines, as well as change machines etc. A new product came on to the market a few years ago, and my dad is the only person who is allowed to import them to the UK so we were paid to do tests using UK currencies.

I had to put in 10,000 pound coins and record how many were excepted first time and how many weren't. After puting the coins through ten at a time I played off the credits. It was a pretty boring job so the playing part was the only fun, so I played seriously and tried to win.

I think I got about £85 out of it! £10,000 in and £85 out!!!

That was enough to put me off fruits for life!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:54
Regular
"not dead"
Oh I hated Dragon's Lair!

I just found it so very difficult!

And there was no way of knowing if you were making the right decision, until you realised you were dead!

Mind you, I was quite yuong when I played it!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:52
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
My top five favourite would be the following:

5: Yie Ar Kung Fu; Oolong, where are you now???

4: 10yd fight; Mad US Football game they had in the town pool lobby

3: Defender; Say no more

2: 1941; WWII fighter action

1: Star Wars; Hooray

Not quite making it would be Hyper Sports, Joust, Mappy, Sea Wolf, Ghosts n Goblins.

Oldies but Goldies I'm afraid.

FM, did you ever play the Empire Strikes Back version of Star Wars?
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:43
FantasyMeister wrote:

5: Dragon's Lair, remember Dirk the Daring? It
> was all cartoon, and you had these RTE's (Real Time Events) where
> you had to make a split second decision. Choose the wrong route and
> you were history.

FM: Giving his age away a bit with this one...

I remember that! And "SPACE ACE" with "Dexter" and the evil emporer "Borf"

"You cannot win!"
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:38
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
FM's Top 5 Arcade Games

1: Defender, the little trackball one where you guided a cross on the screen to shoot these incoming bogies above your city.

2: Space Invaders, hypnotic.

3: X-Wing, you actually sat in the seat in a cabinet and guided the X-Wing through green isometric valleys and over and under green isometric bars that got in your way, shooting tie-fighters as you went, very atmospheric with the 'surround' sound.

4: Astroids, little triangular ship that you could scuttle all over the screen and off the top to reappear at the bottom, all the while blasting these rocks that came towards you, making them break up and then having to hit the smaller faster moving pieces. Black and white, but thrilling.

5: Dragon's Lair, remember Dirk the Daring? It was all cartoon, and you had these RTE's (Real Time Events) where you had to make a split second decision. Choose the wrong route and you were history.

FM: Giving his age away a bit with this one...
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:23
Haggar and Guy, the ultimate team!!!!!!!!

Did anyone ever play as Cody?

Final Fight gets the number one spot in my top 5!!!
Ahh, such fond memories.

I bought a mega CD just for final fight you know!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:22
Regular
"<];o)"
My top 5 arcade games would be the following:

1.AfterBurner. The one where you are in the plane and the cabinet rotates.

2.Time Crisis 2. You all know about this one, just because you get to shoot people.

3.Space Invaders. Classic...need I say more.

4.Donkey Kong. First game to feature barrel jump man, also known as Mario.

5.Dance Stage Euro Mix. Just a good chance to embarres yourself in front of all of the fast footed Japanese people.

There we go.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:21
Regular
"not dead"
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> No Final Fight??????

I'm very disappointed Mr. Meka :-(

Not
> that theres anything wrong with the games yuo have chosen but
> stil....

Haggar rules.

But no Paperboy either.

In life we must make sacrifices!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:19
No Final Fight??????

I'm very disappointed Mr. Meka :-(

Not that theres anything wrong with the games yuo have chosen but stil....
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:14
Regular
"not dead"
Inspired by FM's top 20 question, would Space Invaders be in there? I started thinking about the arcade games that I used to love to play, and this, in no particular order, is my top 5.

Double Dragon: In a local coffee shop they had a couple of arcade games, and this was one of them. We used to go in there with all of our 10p pieces, and play for as long as we could afford.

It was quite a simple concept, two guys beating the crap out of the bad guys, scrolling along, always to the right. What made it special was playing with a friend, rather than against them. Those Double Dragons were cool, and the game was quite tough. I still remember the final boss coming out, guns blazing, running around everywhere. If you were on your last credit when you got here, you were finished!

Gauntlet: 4 players, at the same time. Working together. Fantastic. 4 great characters to choose from too, Warrir, Elf, Valkyre(?) and Wizard. It was a simply case of finding the dungeon exit, taking on ghosts, grunts, goblins, and other enemies along the way. Then there were the keys. It was rather frustrating that you could reach the exit, only to find it behind a locked section, with enemies piling in behind you. Your onlyoption would be to turn round, face the enemies, and go find that key! And those scary dark guys - the ones that touched you and drained your energy - they gave me nightmares!

Untitled football game: I'm sure this game had a name, but where I played it most, it was in one of those dodgy universal cabinets, and I don't remember seeing the title screen! Anyway, it was a decent football sim, with you taking on an International side, and trying to win a knockout tournement. The real joy was in being able to punch other players, flying kick other players, pull down other players. This added a whole new game to the arcade football, with you having to knock that last defender out, rob him of the ball, and beat the keeper! The football side of it was great to, with many different types of shot available,inculding some super strike, that I managed to pull of in the last minute of a semi final against Italy, giving me a 3-2 win. Fantastic stuff!

The Simpsons: Again a four player game, this one much like Double Dragon in play, take your character along the scrolling levels to try to save young Maggie Simpson. What made this game special was the special Simpsons brand of humour throughout it. The game was rather tough to, with some great enemies. The most difficult level was a dream sequence level, man that was hard! Another great feature of this game was the ability to 'double-team' the enemy. Different combinations did different things to, such as Bart with Marge, or Homer with Lisa. It was great fun!

Street Fighter 2: It was 'Mean Machines' magaine that introduced me to this game. Yes, the magazine that has since devolved into NOM. What I found truely spectacular about this game initially was the choice of characters. 8! Wow, had any beat 'em-up before offered this? None to my knowledge, and I was hooked! Then I discovered the special moves, the hurricane kicks, the hundren hand slap, the sonic boom!

I started off as a Blanka player, given the ease of his special moves, and managed to get as far as Vega. How Vega plagued me. It was only with E Honda that I was able to beat him, but then he was easy meat for Sagat! It was only when I got this game for the SNES that I managed to meet and beat M Bison!

Not much recent there, is there? I guess that's because I don't live near any arcades, and when I do venture into any these days it's the fruit machines that get my attention, yep the low jackpot, novelty fruit machines, like The Pink Panther, like Eastenders, they draw me in, thinking I can actually profit from them, and I leave the games alone.

Silly, foolish me!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.