GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Car :D"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/02/07 at 23:20
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Today is a happy day, I now have my very own car woooo. Got myself a 1.1 Saxo - good nic, except a non functional sunroof - not like it would get used anyway. Not passed my test yet though, just waiting to take the practical - passed my theory yesterday. Was fairly surprised with my insurance got it for £685. Just can't wait until I pass the test now argh.

So aye, What was your first car and what are you driving now?
Fri 02/02/07 at 23:20
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Today is a happy day, I now have my very own car woooo. Got myself a 1.1 Saxo - good nic, except a non functional sunroof - not like it would get used anyway. Not passed my test yet though, just waiting to take the practical - passed my theory yesterday. Was fairly surprised with my insurance got it for £685. Just can't wait until I pass the test now argh.

So aye, What was your first car and what are you driving now?
Fri 02/02/07 at 23:45
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
1st car X reg Fiesta, now driving 05 MG convertible
Fri 02/02/07 at 23:58
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
are you sure that that was wise, buying a car before you ahd even passed your practical test.
Sat 03/02/07 at 00:25
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Shepps 123 wrote:
> are you sure that that was wise, buying a car before you ahd even
> passed your practical test.

It lets me get in some extra practice outwith lessons, provided someone sits with me. The main reason of buying it though was the price I got it. I was offered it from a cousin before he was listing it on ebay ect as a last resort and so thought I might as well go for it. Got it for £700, it's a T reg with 50,000ish miles on the clock. Seen older models go for more on ebay as well so I might be able to make a small profit off it, assuming I'm not keeping it for years.
Sat 03/02/07 at 00:43
Regular
"Twenty quid."
My first car was a blue Vauxhall Astra thru' the Motability scheme -- I got it 17 years ago because I was allowed to start learning to drive a year earlier than most, being a spaz an' all.

I had that for 3 years and then I briefly had a white Vauxhall Astra -- I had power steering fitted to it (I needed automatic gearbox and power steering to be legal) but it kept throwing off fan belts and leaking hydraulic fluid so I figured it was easier to sell than to keep spending money trying to sort it.

Then I got a red Vauxhall Astra (can you spot a pattern) which wasn't a bad car -- can't remember how long I had it, tho'.

After that I bought a white Daewoo Nexia which, whilst looking fairly good, being cheap and coming with 3 years service (parts and labour), wasn't the best build quality around and by the time I'd had it 7 years (and covered 120,000 miles) it was a bit of a wreck.

I traded that in and bought a metallic green Honda Jazz -- this has been the best car ever: nippy, reliable and bloody economical, averaging about 49 miles per gallon. I still own this but am about to sell it to my live-in carer and I take delivery of my new car next week ...

... which is a metallic blue, wheelchair accessible Renault Kangoo. Unfortunately I won't be able to drive it (I developed a foot ulcer 18 months ago which, altho' having healed, has rendered my feet unusable for driving) but I can get in and out of it via a ramp at the back without having to be lifted/hoisted/dragged out of my wheelchair and unceremoniously dumped onto the passenger seat.
Sun 04/02/07 at 15:51
Regular
"hulagadoo"
My dad's currently going through the process of getting a wheel chair accessible vehicle. Think there's 3 that has been shown to him. A fiat something, Kia something and the Kangoo. The Kangoo is the one which his OT recommended, something about a lower floor or summit? They were also talking about having one adapted with hand controls but he decided against it, he'd prefer to be chauffeured around.
Sun 04/02/07 at 17:11
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I looked into hand controls but as I couldn't manage manual ones (i.e. levers that required the same amount of force to use as you would if you just using your feet on the pedals) I needed the electronic ones. Unfortunately, the electronic ones start at around £30,000 just for the controls themselves, never mind the car adapted to allow a wheelchair to reach the driver's position from the rear of the vehicle (about £26,000 for a Kangoo).

I've gone for the "chauffeuring" option, too, although I have bought the car myself (£14,500) and insured it for any driver over 25 years old (£380 ... thank God for no claims bonuses!).
Sun 04/02/07 at 18:54
Regular
My first car was a V Reg Austin Metro Vanden Plas in a head turning Lime Green and Chrome finish. Loved it, drove it everywhere including to Newquay, crashed it - it had one red wing on the front for a while, ultimately it died when the engine packed up though it had a good innings.

The next car I owned was a Red H Reg Renault 19 1.9 Diesel, comfortable, spacious, but unreliable as hell. Lost count of how many times my old man towed me back from Bolton (where I went to Uni). Terrible, hateful piece of junk, though when it ran properly it was fairly pleasant to drive. Engine packed up on this too (seeing a trend here? :S) needed a whole new engine, so rather than fix it, scrapped it and got a ...

Red H Reg Vauxhall Astra 1.4. Basic as hell, but fairly quick off the mark (certainly in comparison to the sheddy Renault) and very reliable indeed, was running perfectly up to the day I got rid of it, one of the best cars I had really. Though it was beginning to show its age. 'Fortunately' I lacerated my foot on the beach in Newquay, on rusty barbed wire hidden under the sand, (yes I go there a lot it seems) and got a huge cash pay out from the council. With the £2000 I got from that I traded my Astra in and got a ...

M Reg Charcoal Grey Fiesta 1.6 Si. Loved that car to bits, brilliant, reliable, quick, comfortable, the works. Perhaps a bit smaller than I would have liked, but an excellent car all round. Was great until some muppet crashed into the back of it not far from my house. There was only minor damage to the rear tailgate and bumper, but never the less the insurance company wrote it off. On the the plus side the car was only worth about £600 when it got written off and I got a cheque for £1200, so I soon forgot how cheesed off I was. What also helped was the company I was working for provided a ...

2005 Burgundy Peugeout 206 2.0 GTi for me to drive. Fast as f£
Don't work there anymore and am carless, can't wait to get another motor :)
Sun 04/02/07 at 20:01
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Borat wrote:
> but could get uncomfortable on long motorway journeys.

No COULD about it LOL.
Sun 04/02/07 at 20:04
Regular
:) ... tis a long jaunt most definitely to Grimsby from lowly Preston. Thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy ... and back surgery thrown in for free ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.