GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Max Payne: Excellent game or not....????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/08/01 at 00:33
Regular
Could be tempting the wrath of all those 1st person shooter fans out there, but i need to know if any of you feel MAX PAYNE lives up to its hype as a genre-breaking game, or if you think its just another pointless shoot`em-up with a "bullet-time" gimmick thrown in.

Having purchased it and played it for a good 5 or 6 hours, my thoughts are divided on this, but if pushed i would have to say it certainly deserves credit for trying something new in such a swamped field, just wish it was a little bit more easier for all us 1st person newcomers. What i mean is, yeah i`ve played
Fri 12/04/02 at 06:31
Regular
"Brrrrr."
sorry... 10 and a bit out of ten...
Fri 12/04/02 at 06:23
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Thiis is one of the best. If not the best itself. 10 and a boit out of ten. It will rule you life*...

*sometimes
Fri 02/11/01 at 17:48
Sorry I Mean Dodge ; )
Fri 02/11/01 at 17:47
It has no contest, slowing down the game to dog bullets, welcome to the Matrix!!!! Pure Genious!
Fri 02/11/01 at 13:41
personally I think he's just another Duke Nukem
Wed 03/10/01 at 14:27
The best thing about it is that you can get lots of cool add-ons. Check out the Kung-Fu mod at maxpaynecentre.
Wed 15/08/01 at 00:29
"The pen is mightier"
I`m playing this quite a bit, but i`m not brilliant at this sort of game, hence i`m still not very far into the plot yet.
Its graphics really have a grime ridden feel to them and the cut scenes are for once useful, espcially the little comic book thing which tells the story.

I too am having problems with the camera angles. A couple of times i`ve been shot from somebody i couldn`t even see, as if not only do these bullets slow down when fired but can also go around corners!!! I`m sure its not the intention of 3D Realms to let you shoot around corners, but it feels really unfair to nearly complete the level and get stopped by a graphical glitch.

Another thing, machine spec`s: My PC is nearly 2 years old (a trusty MAXX P3 450 PC no less!) and boasts a staggering (lol) 128mb of memory, 80gb hard drive and a simple Voodoo Banshee 3D card. Having seen the specifications on the DVD box for Max i nearly didn`t buy it, as it suggests the best performance comes from a P3 700, meaning anything less may not get the Max game we would all clearly like. But what happens? upon installing said game, Max Payne runs smoothly with no noticable slowdown, graphics just like the screenshots on the box and excellent sound. Just made me think are the developers over estimating this games spec?.

Sure, a P3 700 would handle it a treat, but i`m sure a few people will miss out on this game due to low spec, or simply from what is written in the spec box. And no magazine review (eg: PC GAMER) has stated a benchmark system for the game for readers to take note from.

Meantime, Max`s world beckons again and so i`m off to try and get a bit further this time... roll on the Patch!!!
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:57
Regular
I only played it for a bit last night. I've only done the first couple of stages. I'm at the bank at the moment, having done the train station bit. Here are my thoughts:

Firstly, bullet time: Thought it was cool at first. Then realised it would a LOT of getting used to. Got used to it gradually and I'm getting ok at it now.

Cut scenes: Pop up far too often initially, fell I have to watch them or I'll not have a clue whats going on. Hope they become less frequent later in the game.

Camera: One of the problems I had with bullet time early on. The camera sometimes moves so it's right behind his head, making it difficult to see where he's looking/shooting.

All in all it's a cool game so far, and with the auto adjust difficulty thingy, it should never get to hard.
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:52
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I’ve played this quite a bit, though round a mate’s house as I don’t have a good enough graphics card to run it on my machine and I have to say that it is a very good game. As you mention, it does rely rather heavily on the ‘Bullet Time’ gimmick to attract people to the game itself, but once playing it more than justifies the purchase.

Coming up with something different in the 1st/3rd person perspective game is going to be hard considering how flooded the PC market is with this genre of game. Yes, Max Payne won’t take that long to complete, but once you have done it cranks up the difficulty level to give a somewhat fresh challenge.

The story is solid enough, the graphical requirements of the game are more than justified; Flying through the air sideways with two Ingrams blazing away, as the spray of pellets from a shotgun burst pass inches over Max and into the wall behind you. Or blasting your way into a room filled with bad guys, bullets flying, bottles, lights and plant pots shattering during the frantic combat. Pretty stunning to watch.

The cut away scenes between each level are a refreshing change from the norm, even if Maxy boy can prattle on a bit. He does get very ‘lyrical’ at times, but you can skip these. A word of warning though, I skipped one of the later cut scenes only to be told that I had ‘Just missed the explanation of the entire plot!’ Oops.

If my PC could handle it, I’d buy it despite having played though 90% of the game. It seems to me that Max Payne is one of those titles that you’ll play again and again.
Mon 13/08/01 at 17:36
Regular
Max Payne the movie given the green light.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.