GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help needed in adding 2nd hard drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/08/01 at 14:15
Regular
As i know jack all about PC's i wonder if any of you could help me with this:

My PC has a 4Gb hard drive, and i'm going to install a 2nd hard drive of 40Gb. Is it possible to have both, and if so will the data from my original hard disk still be there after i've installed the new one?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sat 11/08/01 at 14:15
As i know jack all about PC's i wonder if any of you could help me with this:

My PC has a 4Gb hard drive, and i'm going to install a 2nd hard drive of 40Gb. Is it possible to have both, and if so will the data from my original hard disk still be there after i've installed the new one?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sat 11/08/01 at 15:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes you can have both, but you'll probably need a dual IDE cable. All your data from the primary HDD (the 4gb one) will be A-OK. Your second HDD will show up as another drive, just like the CD-ROM and the floppy.

If you need help intalling it just ask.
Sat 11/08/01 at 16:03
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Yes you can have both provided your OS can view hard drives of that size.

On most motherboards there are two IDE channels (Primary and Secondary) onto each of which you can add two IDE devices (hard drives, CDROM drives etc.) one of which is called a Master, the other a Slave. Your current hard drive will be set as a Master on the Primary IDE channel.

If you currently have one hard drive and one CDROM drive and they are both on the same IDE channel (the same ribbon or data cable inside your case) then you can add you new hard drive as the Master on the Secondary IDE channel (the manual that comes with your new drive should tell you how to set it as a Master or Slave). This gives you:-

Primary IDE - C: hard drive (Master), E: CDROM drive (Slave)
Secondary IDE - D: hard drive (Master)

If, however, you have you current hard drive on the Primary IDE channel and your CDROM drive on your Secondary channel then you can add your new hard drive as a Slave on the Primary channel. This gives you:-

Primary IDE - C: hard drive (Master), D: hard drive (Slave)
Secondary IDE - E: CDROM drive (Master or Slave)

Note that what ever order you add IDE devices any hard drive will always come before any CDROM drive in the drive letter sequence.

Once you have physically installed your new drive it will probably need to be partitioned and formatted.

If you need any more help let me know.
Sat 11/08/01 at 16:52
Cheers guys! Much appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.