GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"QOTD - Tuesday 9th Feb - Pop Music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/02/10 at 09:53
"possibly impossible"
Here's one from the Forum's past.

Pop Music - it's on the radio every day and thousands of people buy the songs, but there are also thousands of detractors to this genre.

However, the genre itself is pretty wide and it's a vast generalisation to say that you don't like pop music.

So the question is (or really questions); how do you define Pop Music and how do you feel about it?
Thu 11/02/10 at 00:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm totally confused with genres of music. If I listen to something, I couldn't tell you what genre it was in. All I can tell you is there are songs that I listen to and songs I don't listen to. 2 categories are all I need.
Wed 10/02/10 at 22:19
Regular
"Mooching around"
I'm one of those people who will endlessly claim that pop music is the worst thing to happen to this world, and then have a spotify playlist filled with Britney Spears.
Wed 10/02/10 at 08:47
Regular
"I like turtles"
Never really liked pop music from any generation really.Add around 10 pints though and all of a sudden Take That's Relight My Fire seems to become the greatest song ever recorded ?.

[S]Apparently I sang my ass off to it at a friends stag night a few years ago but honestly don't remember (which is probably a good thing,especially as I wasn't aware I even knew the lyrics !).[S]
Wed 10/02/10 at 08:20
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Lady Gaga :)

Can't get enough of her songs :p
Tue 09/02/10 at 14:12
Regular
ButchML wrote:
> Basically, pop music is pish and is merely created and released
> to line the pockets of the record companies.

Pop music is created to appeal to a mass audience, I find it hard not to like songs I know have been written specifically for people like me.
I wouldn't really call pop music pish, it's more like junk food. You know it isn't really good for you, but it's still quite hard to resist.
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:59
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
So that's pop music defined... it does seem to cover the vast majority out there.

I think music is quite hard to define into set genres as they can feature characteristics of several genres. When people ask me what I like (even though I've finally worked out what Rock, Alternative, Metal and now Pop are now) I tend to just name songs.

If I like a song I like the song, but don't want to then listen to the likely drivel that a band or artist may have on an album and never released.
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:44
"possibly impossible"
From Wikipedia (the internet's source of all knowledge and dis-information!)

"Musicologists often identify the following characteristics as typical of the pop music genre:[2][3][4][6]

* a focus on the individual song or singles, rather than on extended works or albums
* an aim of appealing to a general audience, rather than to a particular sub-culture or ideology
* an emphasis on craftsmanship rather than formal "artistic" qualities
* an emphasis on recording, production, and technology, over live performance
* a tendency to reflect existing trends rather than progressive developments"

Acts like The Beach Boys, The Monkees, Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Police and Queen*

The Beatles produced pop songs alongside rock and roll so it shows the better bands and singers do have staying power.

Current artists like Black Eyed Peas, Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Rhianna, Pink and others are classed as Pop.

Therefore this is a much wider genre than many of the other music genres and to dismiss them all would be ignorant of the fact that the artists are successful and the music is obviously catchy enough to warrant massive sales.

*While they wrote Rock music they straddled the Pop/rock genres
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:31
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I don't really understand this music genre stuff. So many songs can be classed under so many genres now I don't know what is what.

I consider pop music to be songs that are played everywhere for short periods of time and then die off and hardly anybody hears it again (I mean, when was the last time you heard Wannabe?).

According to iTunes though pop is a certain sickly sweet kind of music :/

I tend to like rock/alternative/metal - if I had the choice :p

:) QOTD is popular - lets hope we can keep this running - spark a few debates and get more people involved!
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:24
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I generally class 'Pop Music' as anything I hear 2 or 3 times on the radio on my way to/from work. Also anything my little sister listens to or the little oiks down my local put on the juke box.

Basically, pop music is pish and is merely created and released to line the pockets of the record companies.

In my opinion, anyway.
Tue 09/02/10 at 11:02
Regular
"And in last place.."
I don't like musical classification as so many songs seem to cover a few categories. Pop music these days just seems to cover anything that is in the charts but I think some people see 'pop music' as the musical equivalent of a 'casual game', they can't be seen to be liking pop music.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.