GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another QOTD (taking the initiative here...)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/02/10 at 20:59
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thought I'd post another question to spark a debate.

Just watched the end of Corrie and one of the characters has come to the end stages of dealing with a loan shark. As you can imagine he is pretty desperate by now and has chosen to fake his own death to get rid of the problem. Guess if you've paid back over treble what you borrowed and still getting pestered...it is rather desperate.

So I pose to you a hopefully hypothetical question - what would you do if faced with a similar problem (I hope we all know better than to trust a friend of a friend of your second cousins ex-girlfriends friend...especially when it comes down to money).

Would you do what this fictional character is doing and fake your death? Would you even take it further and take your own life? Gather evidence and take it to the police. Or would you kill the loan shark?

I know the last option is a bit drastic - but if you were at your wits end and were considering death, that 7-10 years inprisonment (if you get caught that is) would surely be better than stepping through the unknown and killing yourself, right? Who knows, you could be releasing many people from the same predicament that you are in.

I'm just interested to see what the forum would do (just in case I need a friend to help hide the body :p)
Tue 09/02/10 at 08:17
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Perhaps I didn't word myself correctly - I meant to imply that kiling the loan shark in a sense would be better than killing yourself. True you'd get life inprisonment with a whole luxury of gyms, TV and recreational activities, but the way the life sentences go - you'll be out in 10 years.

I only thought to ask your opinions as I had the very same argument with my stepdad. I said go to the police, but without hard evidence, they are powerless.

In terms of mental state, you are right - it is very easy to sit back and say what you would do here and now, but in the desperate time your mind would be all over the place. I guess that is why Joe on Corrie is planning to fake his death.

And Machie... I'm not killing anybody... You'll still have me out of prison and spamming up the forums :p
Mon 08/02/10 at 22:10
"possibly impossible"
I agree, you could even find yourself rewarded for helping the police and if they bring the company down then you're debts are pretty much wiped off anyway.
Mon 08/02/10 at 22:07
The only option is to go to the police and tell them everything that has happened. They have special units set up to deal with these. Then visit CAB and other various government agencies for advice.

It's easy to say in front of a computer that you'd take down a loan shark, but they know every trick in the book in terms of intimidation, violence and threats - they will psychologically get to you first. And even if you get past that, manage to kill him, what then? If the operation was more than a one man plan then you'll be hunted down. If not, it's a life sentence for you anyway.
Mon 08/02/10 at 20:59
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thought I'd post another question to spark a debate.

Just watched the end of Corrie and one of the characters has come to the end stages of dealing with a loan shark. As you can imagine he is pretty desperate by now and has chosen to fake his own death to get rid of the problem. Guess if you've paid back over treble what you borrowed and still getting pestered...it is rather desperate.

So I pose to you a hopefully hypothetical question - what would you do if faced with a similar problem (I hope we all know better than to trust a friend of a friend of your second cousins ex-girlfriends friend...especially when it comes down to money).

Would you do what this fictional character is doing and fake your death? Would you even take it further and take your own life? Gather evidence and take it to the police. Or would you kill the loan shark?

I know the last option is a bit drastic - but if you were at your wits end and were considering death, that 7-10 years inprisonment (if you get caught that is) would surely be better than stepping through the unknown and killing yourself, right? Who knows, you could be releasing many people from the same predicament that you are in.

I'm just interested to see what the forum would do (just in case I need a friend to help hide the body :p)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.