GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Titles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/08/01 at 14:26
Regular
When you look at a certain Game Title, what’s the first word that pops into your mind?

Do Game developers do this intensionaly and if so for what purpose?

---

I’m going to do a little test on some of the top game titles at the moment and tell you the first word that comes into my head...

Zombie Revenge – Scary

Fur Fighters – Ridiculous

Alone in the Dark – Isolated

Soldier of Fortune - War

18 Wheeler – Fun

Worms World Party – Amusing

Ready to Rumble – Wrestling

---

These words that you think of instantly are important, because they create your own image of the game in your head.

For people that have never heard of the game before arent going to consider the games graphics, gameplay, enjoyment level….. The first thing they are going to see id the Games Title on the front of the case. If they read it and don’t like it they arent going to bother wasting there time turning over the game to look at the reviews and pictures, that are there to persuade people to buy the game.

I know youre going to say that the Title has to be catchy, and I agree, but Im talking about the worst word that you think of when you read that Title. Because a catchy title is useful if your advertising the game on TV or something, but if the person has never seen the game before they are going to assume more.
With the above example “Worms World Party” if you didn’t know what the game was about you would probably find the title quite amusing, because you visualise all these earthworms singing and dancing!

---

Does this all mean that you assume a game is of a certain genre from its title?

Or do you think that the title of a game means nothing?

How important do you think a good title is?

---

Thanks for Reading

David
Fri 10/08/01 at 23:25
DeltaJava wrote:
> Aw, this is bad... this was one of my future topics currently in devlopment...

---

Sorry DJ...

But I just felt it was an interesting topic to hit upon....
Fri 10/08/01 at 22:52
Aw, this is bad... this was one of my future topics currently in devlopment...
Fri 10/08/01 at 22:47
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Before and after impressions of my current DC collection:

AeroWings - Chocolate? / Ace flight sim.
Chu Chu Rocket - MST with turbo? / Naff puzzler.
Dino Crisis - Munchy? / Very Munchy.
Grandia II - Great! An RPG on the DC / A great RPG on the DC.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Vampire suck 'em up? / Yep.
Metropolis Street Racer - Car racing? / Yep, but an amazing racer.
Phantasy Star Online - Whoopee! Another RPG! / Oh.
Record of Lodoss War - WTF? / Ooooh, classic RPG ala Diablo.
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - Munchy? / Very Munchy.
Roadsters - Racer? / Yep, but another good one.
Silent Scope - Shooter? / Perfect arcade port with lots of extras.
Skies of Arcadia - RPG? / Whoopee! Perfect RPG!!
Speed Devils - Racer? / VERY funny racer!
Tomb Raider: TLR - Better than the PSX version? / Dunno, haven't tried it yet.
WWF Attitude - Ugh, wrestling / Dunno, haven't tried it yet.
Fri 10/08/01 at 21:06
Yep its me......

Glad to see you read my post... :)

---

and.... DONT TELL ME TO DONT TELL YOU TO DONT TELL ME!

I think thats right!... got a bit confused roung about the second dont!
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:55
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Is that you Dav1d???? If it is..........

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

(;o|
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:47
POP!

This may have got missed earlier, as I know there was hardly anyone here... Very Scary! :)

Please read it and post your comments....

Thanks
Fri 10/08/01 at 14:26
When you look at a certain Game Title, what’s the first word that pops into your mind?

Do Game developers do this intensionaly and if so for what purpose?

---

I’m going to do a little test on some of the top game titles at the moment and tell you the first word that comes into my head...

Zombie Revenge – Scary

Fur Fighters – Ridiculous

Alone in the Dark – Isolated

Soldier of Fortune - War

18 Wheeler – Fun

Worms World Party – Amusing

Ready to Rumble – Wrestling

---

These words that you think of instantly are important, because they create your own image of the game in your head.

For people that have never heard of the game before arent going to consider the games graphics, gameplay, enjoyment level….. The first thing they are going to see id the Games Title on the front of the case. If they read it and don’t like it they arent going to bother wasting there time turning over the game to look at the reviews and pictures, that are there to persuade people to buy the game.

I know youre going to say that the Title has to be catchy, and I agree, but Im talking about the worst word that you think of when you read that Title. Because a catchy title is useful if your advertising the game on TV or something, but if the person has never seen the game before they are going to assume more.
With the above example “Worms World Party” if you didn’t know what the game was about you would probably find the title quite amusing, because you visualise all these earthworms singing and dancing!

---

Does this all mean that you assume a game is of a certain genre from its title?

Or do you think that the title of a game means nothing?

How important do you think a good title is?

---

Thanks for Reading

David

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.