GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Under the influence..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/08/01 at 10:35
Regular
In December 1997, Michael Carneal, 14, pleaded guilty but mentally ill after shooting 3 pupils at his school and wounding 5 others. A seperate lawsuit was filed against Sega, as well as 11 other companies including the creators of Doom and Mortal Kombat.

Much as we know that the Americans are ready to sue if you look at them funny, many think that this was taken too far. We know that a game is a game and have the mental stability to realise that gunning your mates down in a 4-way timesplitters sesh is a great laugh, it would'nt be all that much fun in real life.

But computer games can influence you. Take Tony Hawkes. I bet there is someone out there that has bought a skateboard after buying and liking this game, and I bet there are some skaters on this site that have had a go at the tricks in the game. Anyone played Lazerquest? If youre an FPS player you might notice that you take a more tactical approach over your non-gaming friends?

Still dont believe me? Take any driving game, say Ridge Racer. Youre round a mates house playing Ridge, then you drive home. Notice that you still have "tunnel vision" (developed from travelling at high speeds - focus is forward based, with less attention to prehiperal vision). Notice that, though you stay safely on your side of the road, you tend to take a racing line, apexing the corners and the like. Your speed edges up that little bit more, and you start to find the limits of the car youre driving.

Games do influence us. If you spend enough time on a game to remember it then the game has influenced you, But then everything in this world does. TV, film, your mates, your breakfast, it all counts to who you are. Where you are as a developing human being is determined by what has happened to you previously, and your future decisions are based on the experience you have. If youre messed in the head allready and then play a FPS, you could blame your killing spree on the FPS acting as the trigger to your instability, but then if youre unstable beforehand, anything could be the trigger.

I trust everyone here to not go and kill your mates, but I would like to ask you to remember that, though it wont get to the point of murder, games DO have an influence on the way we live. Remember that a game is a game, and that it is a seperate entity from the real world. Take care on your skateboards, and please take care while you are driving. You can really kill people out there.

Slave - Safely apexing since 1995.
Fri 10/08/01 at 13:11
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Hmm, I think I have yours...yes I do, I thought yours was a different one for a moment!!
Fri 10/08/01 at 12:28
"possibly impossible"
[email protected]

..i'm on now, but only for about 5 mins or so.
Fri 10/08/01 at 12:10
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
pb wrote:
> Hm. Nice title....why didn't I think of using that?!

Hehe good one Pb. I noticed that this morning. Do you use MSN Paul?? IF so whats your id?

(;o|
Fri 10/08/01 at 12:01
"possibly impossible"
Hm. Nice title....why didn't I think of using that?!

;)
Fri 10/08/01 at 10:56
Regular
"Back For Good"
I used to skateboard until some fat bimbo ran over the damn thing and didn't pay uuuurrrghhh!! I've got a BMX now and do play it safe.

Games Influence alot of things but the people who go out of their way to prove things are unacceptable for kids and get every little thing "bad" in a game and atempt to ban it cough cough GTA cough but if everything was normal with a positive attitude Games would BORE people so much that they might just do someting insane!!!

Bring it the very bitter silent Hill strictly for ADULTS only!!

Can't people see the 18 certificate on the game!!!!
Fri 10/08/01 at 10:35
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
In December 1997, Michael Carneal, 14, pleaded guilty but mentally ill after shooting 3 pupils at his school and wounding 5 others. A seperate lawsuit was filed against Sega, as well as 11 other companies including the creators of Doom and Mortal Kombat.

Much as we know that the Americans are ready to sue if you look at them funny, many think that this was taken too far. We know that a game is a game and have the mental stability to realise that gunning your mates down in a 4-way timesplitters sesh is a great laugh, it would'nt be all that much fun in real life.

But computer games can influence you. Take Tony Hawkes. I bet there is someone out there that has bought a skateboard after buying and liking this game, and I bet there are some skaters on this site that have had a go at the tricks in the game. Anyone played Lazerquest? If youre an FPS player you might notice that you take a more tactical approach over your non-gaming friends?

Still dont believe me? Take any driving game, say Ridge Racer. Youre round a mates house playing Ridge, then you drive home. Notice that you still have "tunnel vision" (developed from travelling at high speeds - focus is forward based, with less attention to prehiperal vision). Notice that, though you stay safely on your side of the road, you tend to take a racing line, apexing the corners and the like. Your speed edges up that little bit more, and you start to find the limits of the car youre driving.

Games do influence us. If you spend enough time on a game to remember it then the game has influenced you, But then everything in this world does. TV, film, your mates, your breakfast, it all counts to who you are. Where you are as a developing human being is determined by what has happened to you previously, and your future decisions are based on the experience you have. If youre messed in the head allready and then play a FPS, you could blame your killing spree on the FPS acting as the trigger to your instability, but then if youre unstable beforehand, anything could be the trigger.

I trust everyone here to not go and kill your mates, but I would like to ask you to remember that, though it wont get to the point of murder, games DO have an influence on the way we live. Remember that a game is a game, and that it is a seperate entity from the real world. Take care on your skateboards, and please take care while you are driving. You can really kill people out there.

Slave - Safely apexing since 1995.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.