GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, NOM..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 12:42
Regular
I never remember them being THIS bad.

I picked up the latest issue (fridge magnets rock) and decided to take a look at the Sword of Mana review as I've been wondering whether or not it's worth the hassle. But god, their review is most dire, unreadable published peice of writing I ever have had the displeasure of casting my eyes on.

Their Goblin Commander review was good (which was the only other I've read), but are they usually this bad? I'm hoping this is just some new guy doing a terrible job because the rest of the magazine is alright, and strangely unbias.

I'm going to get the next issue solely for the Metroid: Zero Mission review, seeing as it's one of the few Nintendo magazines to include our trusty GBA, I just hope to god it's not as bad.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:42
Regular
I never remember them being THIS bad.

I picked up the latest issue (fridge magnets rock) and decided to take a look at the Sword of Mana review as I've been wondering whether or not it's worth the hassle. But god, their review is most dire, unreadable published peice of writing I ever have had the displeasure of casting my eyes on.

Their Goblin Commander review was good (which was the only other I've read), but are they usually this bad? I'm hoping this is just some new guy doing a terrible job because the rest of the magazine is alright, and strangely unbias.

I'm going to get the next issue solely for the Metroid: Zero Mission review, seeing as it's one of the few Nintendo magazines to include our trusty GBA, I just hope to god it's not as bad.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:56
Regular
"uncopyable"
No need for a review of Metroid: Zero Mission. Top game mate.

If you liked the first Metroid outing on the GBA (or any of the SNES games) then you'll love this. It's making my 1:30 hours of commuting to work a pleasure at the minute – kinda’ don't want the train tourney to end. :-)

Oh and I have no idea what NOM made of Sword of Mana, as I have refused to buy a copy of the magazine since they turned me down for the Editors job a year or so ago (not that I am bitter), but I can tell you it's also a damn good game - perfect for the GBA. Remains true to the its roots (Secret of Mana on the SNES - which was, for the record, a great game), with a solid story, nice visuals and lots to keep you entertained for quite some time.

What with the those two games, Harvest Moon: FoMT, Max Payne, Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, Jet Set Radio, Advance War 2 and Mario and Luigi - it’s a good time to own a GBA.
Tue 24/02/04 at 13:04
Regular
I don't think they anything good about their review really - they gave it an alright score, yet didn't really have anything good to say about. It was just unreadable rubbish and didn't really help me decide whether or not I wanted it, which makes it all a bit pointless really.

Zero Mission's looking great, and probably a must buy for me, but with SabreWulf, Fire Emblem, Prince of Persia, R: Racing and many others to get, reviews help me decide which ones I should miss out. Choosing between SabreWulf and Zero Mission will be hell.
Tue 24/02/04 at 15:43
Regular
"Plate of glue"
Did it have the NES keyring?
Tue 24/02/04 at 16:55
Regular
The latest issue, not the upcoming one with the Zero Mission review in it.
Tue 24/02/04 at 19:12
Regular
"thursdayton!"
What exactly was so awful?

I know NOM are crap, as are CUBE. If I ever do buy a magazine these days it's NGC, but I haven't been tempted to for ages as all they've covermounted recently are pointless tips books and guides.
Tue 24/02/04 at 19:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Covermounts are irrelevant. The insides are what count, and NGC actually has a brain and wit.

OXM, jesus.

They think all games they rate as 'Elite' (i.e Red Faction 2, The Matrix etc) automatically gain some mystic status and therefore mean the Xbox has to do well (eg - With 14 elite games this Christmas, the opposition stands no chance) - YOU RATED THEM YOURSELF!! They're so stupid. They are also partisan, which really grates. To top it off, they rate games terribly ('style'?!!!) and have to mention the Xbox in every possible way to make it look better. And Halo. Eg two guns in Red Faction 2 - It did it first, a year before Halo 2!

*slow clap* That two gun thing is so funny. I was using it on Goldeneye years ago.
Tue 24/02/04 at 19:20
Regular
NOM and Cube aren't crap, they're just not-so great. As is NGC.

Personally, I opt for Cube because I agree with their opinions most of the time, but if I pay £3 for a magazine I expect at least some good reviews. If I buy NOM to find out whether or not Sword of Mana is good, they should at least do their job and tell me.

It's a load of rubbish.
Tue 24/02/04 at 19:22
Regular
Ninty mags are the only ones I've found to be unbias, most PS2 and XBox ones are written by complete retards.
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Plate of glue"
tphi wrote:
> I know NOM are crap, as are CUBE.

Har dare you! CUBE are brilliant. You hurt my feelings. *cries*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.