GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Safety in your own home."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/08/01 at 11:49
Regular
I read in a paper that a woman who had been burgled 4 times decided to try and stop this happening again by placing barbed wire around her fence. She has been ordered to take it down incase an attacker gets injured next time. Is the world going mad? This is an elderly woman who no longer feels safe in her own home. She is trying to give herself more protection. Personaly I think if someone gets injured its their own fault for trying to break in. Shops and warehouses are allowed extra security like this so what makes your home any different.

The same thing happened near me. A man puts broken glass along the top of his wall to stop people gaining unauthorised access to his garden, seems fair, yet he has been told to remove it or face a heavy fine. It seems the autoritites are taking the wrong side here. If someone who breaks the law gets injured surely it is their fault in the first place. If someone is burgled its not their fault, the people who do it should be punished. So why are we trying to protect them?
Thu 09/08/01 at 11:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I read in a paper that a woman who had been burgled 4 times decided to try and stop this happening again by placing barbed wire around her fence. She has been ordered to take it down incase an attacker gets injured next time. Is the world going mad? This is an elderly woman who no longer feels safe in her own home. She is trying to give herself more protection. Personaly I think if someone gets injured its their own fault for trying to break in. Shops and warehouses are allowed extra security like this so what makes your home any different.

The same thing happened near me. A man puts broken glass along the top of his wall to stop people gaining unauthorised access to his garden, seems fair, yet he has been told to remove it or face a heavy fine. It seems the autoritites are taking the wrong side here. If someone who breaks the law gets injured surely it is their fault in the first place. If someone is burgled its not their fault, the people who do it should be punished. So why are we trying to protect them?
Thu 09/08/01 at 12:34
Regular
"Twenty quid."
It'd mad - if a burglar breaks into your home and you hit him he can charge you for assault! Did you see tha episode of Cold Feet when one of the girl's car got knicked and she chased the thief (along to the Bionic Woman soundtrack) and punched him, only to be arrested herself?

"Nail 'em up, I say! Nail some sense into 'em!"
Thu 09/08/01 at 12:44
Regular
"not dead"
The law states that you have to take responsiblity for the safety of trespassers on your property.

That is just so wrong.

TYou should have the right to protect your home, your family, your things.

It's bang out of order that a thief could break into my house, trip on a step, then sue me for breaking a tooth.

If a burglar broke into my house I'd like to knock his head off. And I'd be wrong for stopping him from murdering me in my sleep? Wrong for stopping him from taking all of my valuables?

Considering that 8 in 10 burglaries are unsolved, I wouldn't have a chance of getting my own stuff back either. Yes it's insured, but hey, that's not the point.

Now imagine if Home Alone was set in the UK.

I image young Kevin McAllister (the character played by Macualey Culkin) would still be behind bars for the terrible thinks he did to those Wet Bandits....
Thu 09/08/01 at 12:59
"High polygon count"
Personally I think this is just one of many of our laws that stinks.

I know that if anyone broke into our house while we were their, they'd leave severely injured or in a body bag.
Thu 09/08/01 at 13:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I say leave marbles and little cars under windows, tins of paint from the bannister and constuct false people on bits of string and make them dance so it looks like your house is full of people.
Thu 09/08/01 at 14:08
What the hell are you suppose to do if somebody does break into your house? Help them steal your stuff!?!
"Oh, let me help you with the Wide screen TV Mr Burglar. I wouldn’t want you to hurt your back or drop it on you toe then sue me!"

Darkreaper
Thu 09/08/01 at 17:08
"High polygon count"
Darkreaper wrote:
> What the hell are you suppose to do if somebody does break into your
> house? Help them steal your stuff!?!
"Oh, let me help you
> with the Wide screen TV Mr Burglar. I wouldn’t want you to hurt
> your back or drop it on you toe then sue me!"

As funny as that image is, it's also - sadly - very true. I can't think of his name at the moment, but just look at the farmer jailed for shooting intruders.
Thu 09/08/01 at 17:27
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Thats bloody stupid...

I wish people would use common sense more often.
Thu 09/08/01 at 18:39
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I remember two guys broke into Duncan Fergusons house(Footy player). He beat them both and put one in hospital and was then called a hero by police. So take note. You can beat them if they enter but if they hurt themselves its YOUR fault.
Fri 10/08/01 at 10:20
Regular
I think businesses can do it as long as they have a sign up warning of the danger. It should be the same for personal properties too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.