GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"static IP address - are there security issues?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/01/07 at 20:02
Regular
Dear Freeola,
I have recently migrated to Freeola and I have noticed that I have as a result been given a static IP address. Previously, I had a dynamic one. Is it true that I am now more susceptible to being 'hacked'? as a result of my computer being 'visible' to others. I use an Apple Mac with a software firewall but as far as security is concerned I am inexperienced and don't really know if this change to a 'static' means I need to take extra care?
Regards,
David Lowe
Wed 31/01/07 at 21:10
Regular
Thanks- Bob and Digitrader- you have reassured me. And I will treasure my little bit of the universe! Best wishes, David Lowe
Wed 31/01/07 at 10:18
Regular
And an other thing to note about a static IP address is that they (IP addresses) are limited there is not an infinate amount of numbers available, so you should feel good that you have your own little bit of cyber technology all to your self.

My eldest is at UNI doing web design and Law and he told me that fact I think he said there are only

combinations available so its good to be unique

Kev ;-)
Tue 30/01/07 at 21:16
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The simple answer is don't worry about it any more than you were before.

If somebody's intent on hacking you personally then having a static IP will make you easier to target. But unless you're running a server or you have a few leet haxor arch enemies something, then, nobody's going to be particularly interested in you as an individual. You'll probably show up in various scans, but you showed up in all of those before too.

And you're also using a Mac, which removes you from the line of fire of the kind of exploits your average script kiddy has available to them.
Tue 30/01/07 at 20:02
Regular
Dear Freeola,
I have recently migrated to Freeola and I have noticed that I have as a result been given a static IP address. Previously, I had a dynamic one. Is it true that I am now more susceptible to being 'hacked'? as a result of my computer being 'visible' to others. I use an Apple Mac with a software firewall but as far as security is concerned I am inexperienced and don't really know if this change to a 'static' means I need to take extra care?
Regards,
David Lowe

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.