GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where have the Lemmings gone....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/01 at 18:09
Regular
A very, very ,very long time ago (about 10 years) a simple yet challenging game hit the shelves and spread though out the world like wildfire. A game based on little furry animals that had a habit of killing themselves, spawned a whole genre and a number of sequels.....but where are they now?

The last game i remember then doing was Lemmings 3D but i don't know what console it was released on. Also i did hear at one point that they where doing Lemmings Revolution for a Nintendo console but it got cancelled or something like that.

I remember having Lemmings for the Mac and it was a great game. Has anybody heard anything about them recently?

Darkreaper
Thu 09/08/01 at 12:48
Regular
*creeek* lets go!
Thu 09/08/01 at 12:47
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
5 ...
4 ...
3 ...
2 ...
1 ...
"Oh No!"

Pop!
Thu 09/08/01 at 06:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Lemmings, But Were Afraid To Ask:

The Lemmings Series of Games is/was published by Psygnosis.

The first ever Lemmings game was released by them in 1991, titled 'Lemmings', developed by DMA Design, for DOS platforms, and was an instant worldwide hit.

'Oh no! More Lemmings' followed in the same year, and was basically an add-on for the previous edition, adding 100 new levels, new graphics and puzzle design.

Psygnosis then took over development of the Lemmings Series and produced 'Lemmings 2: Tribes' in 1993, and then with DMA Design once more they produced a special Christmas edition called 'Holiday Lemmings', basically the same thing, but with snow.

The 'Lemmings Chronicles' arrived in 1994, this time with 3 islands to explore and new skills to master, again developed by DMA Design.

1995 saw a major shift in how Lemmings were portrayed. 'Lemmings 3D' was released on both DOS and Playstation formats, this time developed by Psygnosis themselves, and the idea worked. Lemmings for the PSX was an overnight hit, presumably with all the Lemmings fans who had followed the series for the previous 4 years but who now owned a PSX.

In 1996 Lemmings had it's first outing on Windows with 'Lemmings Paintball', where instead of the tried and tested 'guide your lemmings to safety before the fall off something' formula you now had to splatter enemies with paintballs from your paintgun. Not a great hit.

1997 brought the first ever Lemmings title without 'lemmings' in the title. 'Lomax' was ported to the PC from the PSX platform, and was basically a side scrolling platformer shooter.

In 2000, Take 2 Interactive took over the development side of things under the wing of Psygnosis, and brought the Lemmings back to their original roots with 'Lemmings Revolution' on Windows, 100 gloriously detailed levels and a few more new skills added onto the original set of abilities that Lemmings initially had.

So what made 'Lemmings' so special? Well, purely the sheer addictiveness of the gameplay. 99% of people who tried the first game to be released were kept up late at night for the first week, with squeaky cries of "Here we go!" resounding around their PC as the Lemmings were unleashed upon each level, which ranged in difficulty from 'fun' to 'mayhem'.

The actual concepts used in the Lemmings series were important in other ways. For example, one research paper into Artificial Intelligence states:

"The computer game Lemmings can serve as a new Drosophila for AI research connecting logical formalizations with information that is incompletely formalizable in practice. In this article we discuss the features of the Lemmings world that make it a challenge to both experimental and theoretical AI and present some steps toward formalizing the game using situation calculus."

A game of many levels, indeed.
Wed 08/08/01 at 22:22
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
You can really make a sequal can you? It has the same concept as the previous one. Thats why they didn't make anymore, I think.
Wed 08/08/01 at 19:57
Regular
"Back For Good"
Lemmings 3D came onto the Playstation then later on, Lemmings and oh no more lemmings was released on the PSone with mouse support but even so it wasn't as good as the Amiga versions.
Wed 08/08/01 at 18:41
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I remember Lemmings. Great game that, if very, very annoying. Stupid animals wouldn't stop falling off the cliffs.

(;O|
Wed 08/08/01 at 18:36
The body may have dies but the soul brun on!
Wed 08/08/01 at 18:29
I think that they have scrapped the game, because their sales were so low, but don't quote me on tha. it just makes much more sense than spending loadsof time to make another game that will fail!

oh well

long live lemmings!

seeyas
Wed 08/08/01 at 18:26
Maybe they are making SUPER LEMMINGS!
Wed 08/08/01 at 18:11
Lemmings Revolution came out on the PC last year or the year before, but it didnt do too well, and there's been nothing about it since

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.