GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console wars...pointless"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/01 at 16:47
Regular
With the release of Microsfot's X-box and Nintendo's GameCube drawing closer and closer tension seems to be growing in the Forums.
a tension that is called...CONSOLE WARS you know what i am talking about.."the X-box is dead already" "the PS2 is pants" yada yada

now HOW do you know the x-box will be dead before it starts?huh how? for all we know the x-box will smash the PS2 out of the water the same with the gamecube.

all you people seem to be bothered about is the graphics a console can churn out..you seem to be missing the real importance of a came...the GAMEPLAY!
for me it doent matter how good/bad a game looks but how long i'll be playing the game for.
the best example of this is Links Awakening on the gameboy and i'm not talking about the remake Zelda DX i'm talking about the Zelda that was on the black and white gameboy.i bought it about eight years ago and i still go back to it after all this time! the graphics are crappy but the gameplay is top notch!

i know some of you are saying that gameplay isnt the only thing you look for when buying a console nowadays.so lets have a look.

Sony Playstation 2;
+ already has a good reputation from the PSone
+ DVD playback straight from the box
+ promising up coming titles(metal gear 2,final fantasy X)

- whopping launch price(£300!)
- a lot of sequels
- needs a multitap

Nintendo Gamecube;
+ its tiny!
+ Gameboy Advance link up
+ no need for a multi tap

- Nintendo's "kids only" repuataion
- possiblity of more pokemon(just my opinion)
- no DVD playback?

Microsoft X-box
+ Bill Gates' wallet backing the X-box
+ promising titles(oddworld,buffy)

- i think its butt ugly
- have to buy a dvd playback kit
- a first for microsoft

taking all of these in they seem to far up pretty equally.
Graphics wise the PS2 looks great and looking at screen shots of the x-box and camecube they look great too.
so basicly like i said it all boils down to the quality of the games the console has to offer.

so please shut up with your "ps2 sucks" "X-box is dead"
"nintendo is naff" crap cos until all of the consoles are released we will never know who will be champion of the CONSOLE WARS.

i for one am happy with my PS2 and wont be buying an X-box or gamecube..cos i cant afford to splash out for another console..at least until the price war heats up and we see the value pack come back with avengence!

-Myst1que-
Wed 08/08/01 at 17:17
Regular
From the Dreamcast onwards, graphics are no longer an issue for me. The Playstation visuals always looked wobbley and wafer-thin, and the N64's visuals were blurry. So with the PS2, GameCube and XBox it will all come down to gameplay and originality.

At this point in time I am sitting in the Xbox's corner, not because I hate Sony or Nintendo, but because the vibes I'm getting from the XBox are fresh vibes. It seems to me that they will have to bust a gut to impress.
Wed 08/08/01 at 17:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Here's why Console War topics AREN'T pointless:

They tend to develop into long and sometimes interesting threads, telling us more about the posters and their favourite types of games and consoles.

Because debate often turns heated, some posters actually resort to going and digging up good concrete facts about their favoured choice, which in turn provides information to others about the respective consoles.

They spawn other interesting threads, like 'Thread Wars about Console Wars' i.e. this one.

They generate hits for SR forums, which can only be a good thing.

Very occaisionally, a JAT or Newbie gives input, and although these topics are discussed endlessly throughout the life of the forum, the injection of some new angle or information or ideas is only just around the corner.

Buying a console is a major financial decision for gamers, on a par with when they are older and looking at their first car. Console War threads may help them to decide which is best for them.

I rest my case.
(X-Box rules).
oops.
Wed 08/08/01 at 16:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Your a bloke.

Or you want to be.
Which is fair enough, for I pray to wake up as a woman for just one day.
Wed 08/08/01 at 16:47
Regular
With the release of Microsfot's X-box and Nintendo's GameCube drawing closer and closer tension seems to be growing in the Forums.
a tension that is called...CONSOLE WARS you know what i am talking about.."the X-box is dead already" "the PS2 is pants" yada yada

now HOW do you know the x-box will be dead before it starts?huh how? for all we know the x-box will smash the PS2 out of the water the same with the gamecube.

all you people seem to be bothered about is the graphics a console can churn out..you seem to be missing the real importance of a came...the GAMEPLAY!
for me it doent matter how good/bad a game looks but how long i'll be playing the game for.
the best example of this is Links Awakening on the gameboy and i'm not talking about the remake Zelda DX i'm talking about the Zelda that was on the black and white gameboy.i bought it about eight years ago and i still go back to it after all this time! the graphics are crappy but the gameplay is top notch!

i know some of you are saying that gameplay isnt the only thing you look for when buying a console nowadays.so lets have a look.

Sony Playstation 2;
+ already has a good reputation from the PSone
+ DVD playback straight from the box
+ promising up coming titles(metal gear 2,final fantasy X)

- whopping launch price(£300!)
- a lot of sequels
- needs a multitap

Nintendo Gamecube;
+ its tiny!
+ Gameboy Advance link up

- Nintendo's "kids only" repuataion
- possiblity of more pokemon(just my opinion)
- no DVD playback?

Microsoft X-box
+ Bill Gates' wallet backing the X-box
+ promising titles(oddworld,buffy)

- i think its butt ugly
- have to buy a dvd playback kit
- a first for microsoft

taking all of these in they seem to far up pretty equally.
Graphics wise the PS2 looks great and looking at screen shots of the x-box and camecube they look great too.
so basicly like i said it all boils down to the quality of the games the console has to offer.

so please shut up with your "ps2 sucks" "X-box is dead"
"nintendo is naff" crap cos until all of the consoles are released we will never know who will be champion of the CONSOLE WARS.

i for one am happy with my PS2 and wont be buying an X-box or gamecube..cos i cant afford to splash out for another console..at least until the price war heats up and we see the value pack come back with avengence!

-Myst1que-

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.