GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Today's Gaming!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/01 at 13:27
Regular
After a delightfully exhausting hour walk to the royal mail sorting office and back, caused by a lack of bothering to wake up at the loud banging on the door by the postman, I am now resting my feet, and owning a PlayStation 2 special GT3 pack edition, with the nice box, and am prepared to give Sony’s 2nd console another try. GT3 better impress more than in HMV, that PS2 isn’t light you know! Anyway, the PS2 is a progressive console – just like today’s progressive trance/house music – just keeps on getting better and better.

Right, I’ve written a PS2 review before, so I’ll put this in a post and try to ramble on about stats, games available and what have you – basically people want the latest thing, the latest game – they don’t want to feel excluded, so they buy the latest thing, or at least get their parents to – and that’s why the PS2 and GT3 are selling so well, of course I’m not bothered about status one way or the other – I’m happy playing on my rotting and decaying Dreamcast, trying to complete MSR at crazy hours of the morning, but I just couldn’t resist those blue and green lights on the PlayStation 2.

Right, I’m off to play GT3, I’ll be back with my impressions (naturally this will appear instantaneous, as it will all be posted the same time)…
Back! Well, that was interesting. Today has been a strange day, with many things arriving – Crazy Taxi 2 came in the post along with the PS2 vertical stand, PS2 Dual shock 2 controller, PS2 memory card, Gladiator Soundtrack, Mike Oldfield ‘live from Berlin’ the Millennium Bell DVD and Like This Like That – Mauro Picotto single. And of course that royal mail “please leave 2 hours after the written time” slip, meaning a healthy trek to the sorting office. So, it’s been pretty eventful today – after the aforementioned three dots (…), I went down to my mates’ house and bought his brothers’ Dreamcast off him - £80 for a Dreamcast, 2 pads, a VMU, keyboard and 7 games is not bad at all! (But buy from Special Reserve if you want a DC, I am not in anyway endorsing this product to be purchased from myself…). Oh yeah, and I played GT3!!

As an owner but never player of the original 2 Gran Turismo games, I will probably get more out of the game then those who new what it was about, and my thoughts were aroused by this ‘must have’ title. Turning the PS2 on for the first time in 2months (I sold the other one), memories of crystal clear ocean sounds were brought back to me as my mind swayed to the PS2’s impressive digital sound. Magic Gate – never realised it said that above the Memory card slot, hmm, interesting – open up GT3 box after removing that polythene seal – isn’t new stuff just great? Put it in and wait. Oh yes – nice start up, games are starting to get the intros they deserve, just like DVD films – very impressive Polyphony Digital sequence, accompanied by credits – at the start of a game – well done for that. These people deserve recognition!

So, after listening to either Feeder Muse or Ash in the start up intro, I was quite impressed ‘ooh heat haze - nice’ haven’t seen much of that before in a game, watching the whole intro, then looking through the options to see if Ant was right about there being a ‘damage on’ selection, but I think he was mistaking it for the ‘tyre damage on’, not to worry, saves getting the cars dirty – MSR didn’t have crash damage, you just got warnings every time you scraped something. Start up in GT3 mode, look round at car lists – I’m allowed 200 cars in my garage, must be an aeroplane hangar, anyway I couldn’t find much for 18,000, but found a nice 2.0 ‘New Beetle’ from Volkswagen. Very shiny! That’s one of the downsides of Metropolis Street Racer, dull looking cars – there I admit it, MSR is not perfect. But wait, don’t go getting all excited now – GT3 I have been playing for a bit now, coming second in a Sunday cup speedway circuit in the most boring race I’ve ever had. So boring that I stayed to watch the entire replay because that was so much more impressive!

2 views? What’s the deal there then? Graphically yes, it’s good – very good, but MSR had such an awe factor that GT3, just doesn’t have, at the moment at least. I was supposedly doing 156kmh in the Beetle, that’s what – 100mph? May as well have been 30. But don’t let that put you off, I’m not reviewing anything right now – just setting up a discussion point in my latest attempt to win a game. No really :-) F355 Challenge Passione Rossa is as visually resplendent as Sony’s ‘first killer app’, but there’s like only one car in that game, although that never put me off. So, I now own a Dreamcast, a PlayStation 2 and a GBA, with only one game each on the latter two. What do I play now? Heat haze – very good. Very shiny, I actually want to play Nights, must buy it I suppose!

I need to work out - my room is compiled of bed, desk with screen on, (hello screen!), I have a redundant, but aesthetically exquisite console deluxe television stand, which a horrid cable box and N64 are hiding in along with a some levis, and the rest of my room is a weight bench which is rather on the large side. I think I’ll go have some lunch, watch neighbours then spend an hour losing myself in a world of fast cars and money.

Oh and walking home I saw a TVR Tuscan – my jaw fell to the ground. What a car, I’d love that.

Thanks for reading. How insightful.

Cheers!!
Thu 09/08/01 at 02:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I know. Maybe next time.
Thu 09/08/01 at 02:26
But you chose Fur Fighters!! Hard cheese.
Thu 09/08/01 at 02:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I might just take you up on that!
Thu 09/08/01 at 02:13
Turbonutter wrote:
> If you remember, the 3 options were Red Faction, Rumble Racing and
> Fur Fighters.

Now, I would have chosen MSR but the thing is, it's
> a bit hard to play a Dreamcast game without a Dreamcast ;-)

Son't remember those as choices.

Should have got MSR - I could sell you a DC for - £30 and still make a profit on what I bought :D
Thu 09/08/01 at 02:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you remember, the 3 options were Red Faction, Rumble Racing and Fur Fighters.

Now, I would have chosen MSR but the thing is, it's a bit hard to play a Dreamcast game without a Dreamcast ;-)
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:56
So why did you get Fur Fighters? Read your message again - did you make sense? Anyway, I am knackered. I will soon be mostly doing 80lb barbell bench presses. 10 reps X 4, 30second break in between. Oooh bigger muscles...

Right - Fur Fighters.

Pah.

Only game out on PS2 worth me (M) getting (S) was GT3 (R). (Damn that game is good!!)

Subliminal. Nice!
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I got Fur Fighters in the end, because Quake 3 is better than Red Faction and GT3 is better than Rumble Racing. If I win again I'll get Red Faction, but I'm not going to buy it.
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:48
Turbonutter wrote:
> Hmmm, I should be getting by latest GAD win tomorrow. I don't know
> how much I'll play it though.

What game did you choose?
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hmmm, I should be getting by latest GAD win tomorrow. I don't know how much I'll play it though.
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:41
Turbonutter wrote:
> Dan, you've just PAID FOR GT3 AND HAVE POSTED SO MANY DECENT TOPICS OVER THE PAST 10 DAYS OR SO, but surely you don't need MORE games?!?!?!

Maybe. I would buy something that all the mini people could enjoy too. We must NOT forget the mini people.

Good post though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.